AVS Forum banner

281 - 300 of 532 Posts

·
Registered
13,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by img eL /forum/post/17257532

The 1.78:1 must be a typo

I would think so too. It doesn't make sense to do a pan and scan from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin /forum/post/17257936

I would think so too. It doesn't make sense to do a pan and scan from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1.

Of course, that never stopped the morons at HBO from doing it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ohh lookin forward to caps without DNR etc fingers crossed, i have the first movie in the trilogy on its was from Ebay.it
and lets hope its a typo on the OAR.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love Fistful of Dollars and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, but for my money, For a Few Dollars More will always be the best of the 3, in spite of getting the least respect. It has the tightest story, and Lee Van Cleef is a total badass. Can't wait to watch it on blu, and it will probably be an Italian disc, since it won't get a release here until there is a box set.

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
But Once Upon a Time in the West is still a full step beyond any of those three.

·
Registered
987 Posts
BTW, I got confirmation from Mondo Home Entertainment that the Italian Good, Bad, Ugly will *not* have English audio. I will order it anyway and post some screenshots if nobody beats me to it. If the video is much better than the MGM I will probably make my own subtitles or even audio track.

·
Registered
185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon /forum/post/17264552

BTW, I got confirmation from Mondo Home Entertainment that the Italian Good, Bad, Ugly will *not* have English audio. I will order it anyway and post some screenshots if nobody beats me to it. If the video is much better than the MGM I will probably make my own subtitles or even audio track.

That f'kin sucks, such morons

Dubbed crap

·
Registered
987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke007 /forum/post/17264673

That f'kin sucks, such morons

Dubbed crap

Well, the English version is dubbed too. MHE probably couldn't use it because either MGM's licensing fees for the English dub were too high, or they are not licensing it to other studios at all (since that would create competition for their own release in international markets).

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon /forum/post/17264552

That's got to be the worst news I've heard in a while!! I guess we'll get true confirmation when you receive your copy Rigby. Sigh.....

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
No big deal for me even if there is no English audio. Since I have an HTPC I can just add the subtitles. If this one has no extra DNR applied I will probably try to make my "version" of this movie.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well i'd rather listen to Clint Eastwood then some italian local dude

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't have the right tools or knowledge but wouldn't it be possible to combine the english audio from the MGM BD with this Mondo BD?

·
Registered
987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manco455 /forum/post/17279728

I don't have the right tools or knowledge but wouldn't it be possible to combine the english audio from the MGM BD with this Mondo BD?

Yes, but since the Italian version will very likely not have the same cut as the MGM, some editing will be necessary (cutting out parts and resynchronizing). Subtitles are easier to adapt.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I went to see the BFI restoration of Once Upon a Time in the West in Bradford last night. The restoration was first shown last year at the BFI, restored by them in collaboration with Paramount and Scorcese’s Film Foundation. It has gained excellent reviews from film lovers and Leone fans alike, with the premiere being introduced by Sir Christopher Frayling, who think it looks better than he’s ever seen it.

I've never been in the Cubby Broccoli before - it's quite a small cinema, and there were maybe only a dozen people in.

The film was, as ever, superb. It's the first time I've seen it on the big screen, and it may be the only time I get to see Leone anywhere other than home, so it was an experience to treasure.

I think most people will be more than aware of the film, so I'd like to discuss the restoration. There were quite a few scratches, and I presume this is because there was possibly only 1 print created for the UK, which has been doing the rounds in arthouses cinemas for the last year.

Some of the images were stunningly sharp and detailed, none more than close ups of Bronson's face. I can't imagine these shots looked better back at the premiere. However, this only served to show the maddeningly inconsistent nature of the print. Never mind changes from scene-to-scene, this one changed from shot-to-shot. Grain was there, but was often very mild, but again levels were extremely inconsistent.

Some images were pin sharp, whilst others were soft, almost to the point of appearing blurry/out of focus.

All in all, the picture quality reminded me of nothing so much as the Blu-ray Disc of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Having seen OUATITW 'in the flesh', in the best presentation it's ever had, I'm now far happier with the Blu-ray Disc release of TGTBATU. Inconsistent and uneven, yes; but I'm now more convinced than ever that it's as good as it'll ever look, or at least pretty close.

Looking at the screen caps here, and re-checking the Blu-ray Disc this morning only underlined my thoughts. The film I saw last night and the Blu-ray Disc of TGTBATU are very similar indeed in their pluses and minuses.

Any other Leone fans out there, I'd recommend watching out for this one coming to an arthouse cinema near you. Let us know what you think.

BTW, I was interesting to read this page on TFF's restoration of The Red Shoes:

http://www.film-foundation.org/commo...on=&ThisPage=0

Quote:
Martin Scorsese will introduce the film which has undergone an extensive 2-year 4K digital restoration by the UCLA Film & Television Archive and The Film Foundation...

That implies that, to restore these classics, the Film Foundation is scanning the film at 2k, 4k, or above, then restoring this digital copy, and returning that to film.

Any de-graining may well be taking place at the restoration stage rather than when the Blu-ray Disc is mastered. Might that have been the case with TGTBATU, too?

Steve W

·
Registered
987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker /forum/post/17291601

I went to see the BFI restoration of Once Upon a Time in the West in Bradford last night. The restoration was first shown last year at the BFI, restored by them in collaboration with Paramount and Scorcese’s Film Foundation.

Are you sure this was the recent restoration funded by the Film Foundation? As far as I am aware the BFI was not involved with that:

http://www.film-foundation.org/commo...on=&ThisPage=0
Quote:
The film was, as ever, superb. It's the first time I've seen it on the big screen, and it may be the only time I get to see Leone anywhere other than home, so it was an experience to treasure.

Certainly is.
I was lucky enough to see this masterpiece on a large screen in the 1980s, and am desperate to see the new restoration in a theater somewhere ...
Quote:
I think most people will be more than aware of the film, so I'd like to discuss the restoration. There were quite a few scratches, and I presume this is because there was possibly only 1 print created for the UK, which has been doing the rounds in arthouses cinemas for the last year.

The new restoration was based on the original negative, not an old print.
Quote:
Any de-graining may well be taking place at the restoration stage rather than when the Blu-ray Disc is mastered. Might that have been the case with TGTBATU, too?

I guess we'll soon see for ourselves whether the MGM version is as good as the movie can be: the new Italian version of GBU will come out next week, and is supposedly completely remastered. It all depends on the source material they had access to.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon /forum/post/17291794

Are you sure this was the recent restoration funded by the Film Foundation? As far as I am aware the BFI was not involved with that.

Well, that's what it said at the start of the film - that it was restored by the Film Foundation, the BFI and Paramount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon /forum/post/17291794

The new restoration was based on the original negative, not an old print.

Yes, but it was first shown at the NFT in London around a year ago. I think the same print of the restoration has been going round the UK for 12 months.

Steve W

281 - 300 of 532 Posts