Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Last night my AE200 boke 1000 hours usage. All is fine. I'm thinking bump it up to HIGH lamp mode within 100 hours.

I'm looking forward to new models in this year end otherwise I will need to get a new blub the first time of my life!

Nothing beats my AE200 yet, as far as I see.

regards,

Li On

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Glad you're enjoying the 200. Your original feedback on the AE100 is what started my interest here. My AE100 has 350 hours and aside from slight corner tinting and a few faint dust blobs, I am enjoying this thing. I do wish I had gotten an L200, but for now I'm going to try for an L300 or 500 and see how I like it. If it works, I'll sell the AE100. Keep enjoying your PJ.

You are using HTPC now, correct?

:)

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
hahahahahahaha

i don't know why companies waste their time making new pjs with newer/updated components and higher res. All they need to do is make panny ae200 clones and we will have the greatest video reproduction ever.:rolleyes:

Still trying to figure out how pjs with like 130% more pixels, higher CR, better colour decoders, and more uniform birghtness don't beat your ae200. I mean I know why you think the way you do but it wouldn't be nice to say on this board so I'll keep my fingers from typing it.

And to think I once put a lot of value in this poster's opinion. Yikes. How far I have come in 2 years.:D

anyway, glad you are enjoying your super projector.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Glad to hear your Ae200 is doing fine :cool:

I wonder what Panasonic will have in store for us with their new AE600 or AE700 at the end of this year.

It seems that every year they have managed to come up with a cool improvement:)

All the Best,

Julia

·
Registered
624 Posts
Quote:
Nothing beats my AE200 yet, as far as I see.
You must not be looking very hard.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your PJ though.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I love Li On....

It was you who made me take the plunge on the ae300 sight unseen and I am loving it....Long live Li On

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

My hometheater history is well documented on the forum. My only objective is the overall picture quality, not any spec. on paper.

For DVD viewing, give us a AE201 with smoothscreen (no screendoor), more contrast (both more brightness AND lower black level), remove the remaining 1% vertical banding and add a DVI-D for 1:1 mapping. That will be THE perfect projector for DVD viewing. The only artifact remain is "scanline effect in vertical motion" and I doubt anyone can do anything about it because it exists on ALL LCD projector I saw.

I never like the Sanyo color rendering, both Z1 and Z2. And you all know why I can't take others (Epson 100/500, Panny 500 - vertical banding, AE300 - no 1:1 mapping, Sony HS10/20 - long throw and only 56Hz at 1:1 mapping) etc.

I like the first Dila I saw, a JVC M15. The 1.5x short throw just fit my room. But it's big, hot and noisy. Besides it's no where to find.

Then I saw the current model SX21. It actually didn't look as good as the M15. Maybe due to the different bulb. And it shows TONS of MPEG2 block artifact in HDTV viewing. And the black level is a far cry even to my AE200. I know after proper cal. thing should look much better but I'm not taking the risk. Besides the long throw makes it out of the question in my room.

Just last week I saw a brand new G10. This time when displaying 1:1 mapping via HTPC, there were lots of "streaking" artifacts (both horizontal and vertical) when a bright object is on a dark background. It looked exactly like a poor CRT display (besides the "vertical" streaking!)! Those work with old CRT projector should know the effect.

DLP? 1-chip DLP is a excellent slide projector but don't work with motion video. If you can't see motion dithering, looks harder!

The good old CRT projector? I started from the good old Barco 701, then a Barco 808 Graphic, then a Sony G70, finally a brand new NEC XG85, but after 2000 hours it die on me. Yes they look wonderful but I'm not betting my luck again.

Now it's much better, every year we'll have a handful of new models to talk about! Enjoy! :)

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
627 Posts
Li On:

Glad to hear you have had success with your AE200. I agree with your view that basically you have a projector putting out a good image and plan on keep using it. I have the PT-L300U and will do the same thing. I have a great image on DVD and HDTV inputs (component) and am willing to wait several years until the 1080p projectors are out. Then I plan on upgrading everything (the receiver, cabling (HDMI), and maybe the screen as well. Until then I am in home theater heaven with my modest setup.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Li On-

Have you seen and/or compare the AE200 to a Home 10? Some people have compared it to an alternate Z1 or AE100 and since the resolution is similar I was wondering what you think. Thanks

Victor

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
I was curious also. The Home10 has high lumens and might be different from the AE100/200 projectors. Interestingly, I have seen the L200 can be found on the net for as low a $995.00 USD. Thats a steal for a good projector so the Home10 would have to offer an aweful lot to be worth the extra cash.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlindo

i don't know why companies waste their time making new pjs with newer/updated components and higher res. All they need to do is make panny ae200 clones and we will have the greatest video reproduction ever.:rolleyes:

anyway, glad you are enjoying your super projector.
Hey, did someone say they have 1,000 hours on their AE200 ? Thats right

where the degredation of LCD panels starts to become visible to the

human eye ! By 1600 hours there should be clearly visible colour

degredation occuring......

When you go shopping for your next PJ remember that a DLP picture does

NOT degrade over time....that is what manufacturers should be striving

for...

;)

-Sporty

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quote:
a DLP picture does NOT degrade over time....
especially when it's too annoying to ever watch because of rainbows!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Guys, don't start this LCD vs DLP bickering again. Both rainbows and LCD polarizer fading had been discussed to death already. Please, there is no need to start another round.

I own the 200 myself and I will testify that it is a great value. I bought mine much closer to $900 than to $1K. BUT I will definitely not go as far as saying nothing is better. I'm lucky as I see no VB or scanline. Shadow details are very good. BUT I would like:

- less SDE

- higher resolution

- a little blacker black

- no rainbows

- DVI

Let's see how much a 720P 4X+ DLP costs in 2 years. In the mean time I would just continue to enjoy the Panny 200.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I too own the L200U and have had zero problems with it unlike many of the other PJs popular among this site, ie. vertical banding problems, low lumen output, etc. I first purchased a Studio Exp. 1HD (Sanyo Z1) but returned it due to horrible color uniformity issues. Now that I'm hearing all of the horror stories about the short bulb life, I'm glad I did. With a $20 neutral density filter, gripes such as lower contrast , green push and SDE are almost a non-issue. Are there better projectors out there? Of course, but for the money I think this PJ is hard to beat.

·
Registered
725 Posts
IFAIK, Li On's screen is all of 65 inches wide...so I guess he gets plenty of lumens and sees no screen door on his screen. Very little VB on this PJ also, which is a big plus. So I guess for his setup, the AE200 might very well be almost perfect!

I almost went with one of those ae200, but procrastinated and they sold out. I you want one today, the Hitachi Home model looks even better. Lens shift and a better zoom. Steve Smallcomb was very impressed for the price.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I love my l200u, but it just doesn't stack up to the newer models. The PQ is great and all but I certainly don't feel that it is superb to anything. Good for the basics however.

Brian

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Li On
DLP? 1-chip DLP is a excellent slide projector but don't work with motion video. If you can't see motion dithering, looks harder!
LOL! :D :D :D That's not 100% correct--- even with slides, DLP induces eyestrain. If you don't get it... look harder! :rofl:

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
DLP = headaches for me so bad its not funny. Take away the headaches and you know what I'd be doing? Flinching every time I see dithering. I saw it before I heard what it was. Weird tearing and screwed up video lines randomly in different areas of the screen. Nothings perfect, but its what works for you. DLP would probably kill my head or annoy me to death. With the AE100 I do see peak-a-boo scanlines because I'm subconciously looking for them, but they're so tiny, very localized and only last fractions of a second. I hardly notice. I have been looking to upgrade my AE100 but I'm beginning to feel that its pointless right now. I keep watching movies and shaking my head at the clarity of some of the scenes. Especially very well focussed close-up shots and on DVD's with very good transfers. Looks awesome. Love this colour. It looks good enough for now so I'll just sit on it and keep watching DVD's. :)

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally posted by SportyBry
Hey, did someone say they have 1,000 hours on their AE200 ? Thats right

where the degredation of LCD panels starts to become visible to the

human eye ! By 1600 hours there should be clearly visible colour

degredation occuring......
I certainly keep an close eyes on the issue. My last AE100 started to have this problem at around 1000 hours. Last night the AE200 was at 1028 hours and the BLUE panel still looks perfect.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Li On
I certainly keep an close eyes on the issue. My last AE100 started to have this problem at around 1000 hours. Last night the AE200 was at 1028 hours and the BLUE panel still looks perfect.

regards,

Li On
Excellent !

I don't wish panel fading on anyone. In fact guys, I must apologize for not

putting happy faces all over my post. I was joking about it all. :D

I am well aware of the LCD vs DLP battle. Each has merits. Each has

problems. I myself see rainbows, but not annoyingly so -- so DLP works

for me. But I can easily see how it might not work for someone else.

I hope LCD gets this straightened out, just as I hope DLP can eventually

eliminate rainbow problems...then the two technologies can get back to

going head-to-head in the PERFORMANCE department.

That is where we all win...

-Sporty

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.