AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the root forum but was told that I should probably post it to a particular sub-forum to get results. Here we go...

Over the last couple days, I've discovered that I'll have a couple unexpected jobs coming up that will deposit around $750 in my bank account. Being an avid gamer/movie watcher I've been wanting to get a TV for some time. I'm currently playing/watching on my computer monitor, which looks great but is only 23". I decided to blow the unexpected windfall on a new TV for the living room. The seating is currently about 9'-10' feet away, so I'm planning on getting a 42" tv. I've looked at countless reviews, comparisons, and general information without feeling like I have a good feeling about any particular display. So, my question...

What has been your best experience with a gaming/movie display in the $600-$800 price range?

A little more background info,

- I don't have cable, any tv shows I watch are through Hulu, Prime, Netflix

- Gaming and movies are of equal importance for the display

- I have a PS3 to stream everything making excellent connectivity of no importance

- Sound is not an issue as I have a 5.1 system already hooked up to the PS3

- I'd be willing to hear a case for plasma or LED-LCD, the room gets a fair amount of light (has curtains though), I'm leaning toward LED-LCD

- 3D isn't super important to me as I generally get headaches

As of right now, I've been most interested in either a LG LA6200 or LG LM6200. I know the question has been asked in another thread, but it seems like the primary difference between the two is that the LA is direct-LED and the LM is edge lit (advantages of one or the other?), is that it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I haven't had an LCD for about 5 years so I'm not too sure how the lower priced models perform but I can tell you that a plasma in that range will be nice. I would head over to the LED/LCD and Plasma forums and do a search because I've seen this question more than a few times. Also go into the owner's thread for the LG models that you are interested in and pose the question there, I'd be surprised if they didn't want to help you as well.

My first bit of advice would be GET A BIGGER TV. I bought a 42" the first time around because I was upgrading from a 32" and it shrunk every 6 months or so. With your seating distance you could easily go 55". I sit about 8' away and upgraded from the 42" to a 60"! The tv was too big for about 4 days but now my wife and I have adjusted and when couldn't imagine going back to a smaller screen. A couple of tvs that have had good user feedback on the plasma side are the Samsung F5500 and Panasonic S60. As always though, make sure you go check the sets out in person and make sure it looks good to you.

You'll read about IR and Burn-In for the plasma's and lag and motion blur for the lcd/led's. Most of the reason people see so much image retention on their plasma's is because they put of blank color slides and check, a situation which happens with normal content maybe 4% of the time. I haven't done any break-in or ran slides on my two plasma's, I game and watch tv regularly and haven't noticed anything to detract from my experience. Someone else will have you give you a heads up on the cons of the lcd/led's. Hope I could help.

FYI I have a 42" Panasonic S1 and bought a 60" Panasonic VT60 last week.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I have a 55" LED/LCD Toshiba that's about a year old. I moved up from a 40" and oh what a difference! Like said above you should buy the largest screen your budget and space will allow. Personally I've been thinking about a 65-70" screen because I have the space, but my budget brain is making me wait at least another year

There's great resources in the different owners threads here on AVS, so take the time and check them out. That's how I bought my first HDTV: came here first. A couple of important points:

LED panels that have the lamps spread out is the better option over an edge lit screen. Price can be a factor with the direct lit screens but they tend to produce a better picture. I have an edge lit screen and am quite happy with it, but would have bought a full array if the prices were right.

You don't care about 3D and neither did I. Skipping 3D will save you money, as will ignoring a refresh rate over 120Hz. Unless you're watching sports 24/7 the extra cash on 240Hz or above is wasted.

If you're going to be gaming then make sure there's a "game mode" in the options. I believe pretty much every HDTV has a game mode these days because it eliminates any input lag.

Good luck as you search. Best recommendation I can make is shop all the brands and don't get tunnel vision or you can miss a good deal. Have fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.