AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this thread I'd like us to compare the upscaling performance of the various OLED upscaling engines to that of the NVIDIA Shield. This is an important topic as the Shield offers lossless passthrough of various audio formats that, to my understanding, no TV on the market today does. It therefore has value beyond the platforms of the Smart TVs sold today, particularly for those of us with high quality digital media collections. I've read differing opinions across these forums about the Shield vs native TV upscaling, some favoring the Shield and others favoring the TV. There are ways to force the Shield to output content at native resolution, so Shield owners can pick between the two, at least if they're willing to jump through a few hoops.

I just got a Sony A80J, and the XR engine is supposedly best in class. I figured it would be useful to share my experience here and let others chime in as well. So, I'll begin with my initial subjective impressions of my 77A80J vs the Shield comparing a 1080p remux.

Round 1: NVIDIA AI-Enhanced, Detail=High vs 77A80J XR
To test the XR engine I changed the settings within Plex to override the refresh rate and resolution of the shield ("Resolution Switching"), that way all upscaling would be handled by the A80J. The A80J was the clear winner. The film grain was preserved and the finer details were much smoother. The Shield looked comparatively "digital" and noisy.

Round 2: NVIDIA AI-Enhanced, Detail=Medium vs 77A80J XR
Setting detail to medium made the picture seem more organic, but looked slightly too sharp and noisy. A80J wins again

Round 3: NVIDIA AI-Enhanced, Detail=Low vs 77A80J XR
This was the best the Shield looked. The picture felt slightly less sharp than with detail set to medium, but much more natural. The digital noise could only be observed by looking closely at the grain of the film. The A80J preserved details of objects/people more sharply while still making the film grain look natural.

Winner: A80J
Overall, the A80J preserved a more cinematic and organic feel while being sharper and less noisy than the Shield. That's not to say the Shield fared poorly, AI-Enhanced with detail set to low looked really good.

Bonus round: AI-Enhanced, Detail=Low vs Shield Basic
Surprisingly, both basic and AI-enhanced with detail set to low were tolerable to me, but the biggest difference was shaprness. The AI-enhanced was noticeably sharper without being much noisier. Basic looked softer. Both had a natural/organic feel, and did not appear digitized the way the higher levels of detail enhancement did.

I was really only looking at the sharpness, and wasn't able to evaluate accurately how the different engines deal with other things like color and motion. From what I saw, both were good in those regards.

Of course, the best test is your own eyes, but hopefully this thread can provide some benefit for those working on their setup. I also think we need to be clear about what content is being watched - the NVIDIA may handle YouTube or streaming better than the Sonys or other brands, but XR and others might be better for cinematic content.

What do y'all think?

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
In this thread I'd like us to compare the upscaling performance of the various OLED upscaling engines to that of the NVIDIA Shield. This is an important topic as the Shield offers lossless passthrough of various audio formats that, to my understanding, no TV on the market today does. It therefore has value beyond the platforms of the Smart TVs sold today, particularly for those of us with high quality digital media collections. I've read differing opinions across these forums about the Shield vs native TV upscaling, some favoring the Shield and others favoring the TV. There are ways to force the Shield to output content at native resolution, so Shield owners can pick between the two, at least if they're willing to jump through a few hoops.

I just got a Sony A80J, and the XR engine is supposedly best in class. I figured it would be useful to share my experience here and let others chime in as well. So, I'll begin with my initial subjective impressions of my 77A80J vs the Shield comparing a 1080p remux.

Round 1: NVIDIA AI-Enhanced, Detail=High vs 77A80J XR
To test the XR engine I changed the settings within Plex to override the refresh rate and resolution of the shield ("Resolution Switching"), that way all upscaling would be handled by the A80J. The A80J was the clear winner. The film grain was preserved and the finer details were much smoother. The Shield looked comparatively "digital" and noisy.

Round 2: NVIDIA AI-Enhanced, Detail=Medium vs 77A80J XR
Setting detail to medium made the picture seem more organic, but looked slightly too sharp and noisy. A80J wins again

Round 3: NVIDIA AI-Enhanced, Detail=Low vs 77A80J XR
This was the best the Shield looked. The picture felt slightly less sharp than with detail set to medium, but much more natural. The digital noise could only be observed by looking closely at the grain of the film. The A80J preserved details of objects/people more sharply while still making the film grain look natural.

Winner: A80J
Overall, the A80J preserved a more cinematic and organic feel while being sharper and less noisy than the Shield. That's not to say the Shield fared poorly, AI-Enhanced with detail set to low looked really good.

Bonus round: AI-Enhanced, Detail=Low vs Shield Basic
Surprisingly, both basic and AI-enhanced with detail set to low were tolerable to me, but the biggest difference was shaprness. The AI-enhanced was noticeably sharper without being much noisier. Basic looked softer. Both had a natural/organic feel, and did not appear digitized the way the higher levels of detail enhancement did.

I was really only looking at the sharpness, and wasn't able to evaluate accurately how the different engines deal with other things like color and motion. From what I saw, both were good in those regards.

Of course, the best test is your own eyes, but hopefully this thread can provide some benefit for those working on their setup. I also think we need to be clear about what content is being watched - the NVIDIA may handle YouTube or streaming better than the Sonys or other brands, but XR and others might be better for cinematic content.

What do y'all think?
The Nvidia Shield uses too much edge enhancement which probably looks better for games / CGI; the XR processor looks far more natural for all other types of content.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: The Salty One

·
Registered
395 Posts
What Reality Creation setting did you use?

Similar testing by me and I agree A80J/A90J upscaling looks better than Shield. More natural, crisp, depth. I watch plenty of non-4K content so this factor is important to me, and new Sony XR does not disappoint. In my past with my LG OLEDs, I always find Shield AI-Medium to be superior than TV, not any more w/ Sony.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If the a80j up scales better than the atv4k, is there a way to watch apps on Apple TV and let tv upscale. Or would you have to watch those apps on the tv interface to get the tv to do the work?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Meh I don't bother with either of them. MadVR is still king, by a long mile.

BTW, there is nothing "AI" about the Nvidia's so called AI upscaling on the Shield. It's not DLSS but they indirectly marketed as so just to trick people to believe that their upscaling is done by AI learning. It has nothing of that. The underlying algorithm is still Lanczos + a ton of edge enhancement determined by Low, Medium or High. What's confusing is that the Shield does not apply an anti-ringing filter when set to Medium or High, makes no sense.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I agree but madVR takes more time and $ to dial in properly. Takes a true videophile to go thru the effort. Compared to a Shield plug n play for $200 for the general population.
If you want something good, you gotta put the effort in it. That's just how life is no?

Besides, madVR takes 20 minutes tops to set up properly. If one can't spare 20 minutes, then... welp, ok then?

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you want something good, you gotta put the effort in it. That's just how life is no?

Besides, madVR takes 20 minutes tops to set up properly. If one can't spare 20 minutes, then... welp, ok then?
Kind of but not really, it's all relative. There's a diminishing return on effort between good and good enough. madVR isn't worth messing with for 99% of people. 95% enjoy TV apps on vivid/standard mode, that's good to them. The other 4% may buy a ATV4K, Shield, Firestick, etc. The <1% of nerds like yourself may tinker w/ madVR, and that's cool but not the norm. And no, there is no way a normal person would be able to build a HTPC and set up madVR in 20 minutes, that is unrealistic.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I was just about to post in the A90J owners section about this exact issue. I have the 83, being calibrated next month and was wondering how to setup my gear. I have a new ATV4k and have always used a ATV mainly for audio reasons but have noticed DV content looks really bad. HDR 10 content looks fantastic. Is there a way to let the TV handle the upscaling and still use an ATV so one doens't have to play with eARC etc? To be honest I didn't even know the ATV was doing anything at all to the video image, I always figured that was what the TV image settings were for.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Kind of but not really, it's all relative. There's a diminishing return on effort between good and good enough. madVR isn't worth messing with for 99% of people. 95% enjoy TV apps on vivid/standard mode, that's good to them. The other 4% may buy a ATV4K, Shield, Firestick, etc. The <1% of nerds like yourself may tinker w/ madVR, and that's cool but not the norm. And no, there is no way a normal person would be able to build a HTPC and set up madVR in 20 minutes, that is unrealistic.
Nice, which thin air did you pull those numbers out from? Let me know, I need some.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
If the a80j up scales better than the atv4k, is there a way to watch apps on Apple TV and let tv upscale. Or would you have to watch those apps on the tv interface to get the tv to do the work?
I was wondering this too. maybe you need an atv1080 for non-4k content and atv4k for the 4k?

Seems... cumbersome.

·
Registered
14 Posts

20 minutes if you're already very familiar with it and already have the hardware to make good use of it. Otherwise it's hours and hundreds of dollars to learn it and buy and set up the hardware.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
20 minutes if you're already very familiar with it and already have the hardware to make good use of it. Otherwise it's hours and hundreds of dollars to learn it and buy and set up the hardware.
Follow the guide then - HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players

You guys just like to make things sound more complicated than it really is. Try before you cry.

As for buying hardware, okay sure - in this COVID era, prices are all over the place and it's no longer as cheap as it was. Not gonna argue on that one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts