AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The measurements have started! See next post for index.

This will be a purely objective look at how the waveguides perform, Frequency Response, SPL, Off Axis Polar Response and Distortion. Due to the amount of waveguides and measurements needed it would likely be all but impossible to take all of them in one day so care will be taken to make sure the testing setup is properly configured (distances, angles, drive levels) each time.

Waveguides to be included in testing

SEOS-6, 8, 10, 12, 15,18 and 24

H290c,

QSC,

Dayton H512,

EOS-10, EOS-9?, EOS-8, EOS-6,

Denovo DW-854B, DW-774s, DW-62s, DW-654s, DW-7ES

And a few others.

Threaded waveguides will be tested with the DNA-150 along with some of the other small ones. Then most of the small and mid sized waveguides will be measured with the DNA-205 (comparable to the B&C DE10). Finally many of the mid and larger 1" waveguide will be testing using the DNA-360 (comparable to the B&C DE250). The SEOS-24 will be tested using the BMS 4594 1.4" coax.

The measurements will be done using REW (I am most familiar and comfortable with it and find it does everything I want it to) Microphone will be the Dayton UMM-6, amp will be a Audio source AMP-100, drive level will be set using a 60hz sine wave.

Baffle setup:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
This sounds really cool.

After the initial round of measurements, I'd be really interested in hearing if some extensional mode damping might affect the measured results.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins  /t/1475674/the-great-waveguide-shootout/0_100#post_23388596

Wow, Matt!

I can't believe the scope of this undertaking! We all owe you a huge debt of gratitude. Thank you so much for this and all your other contributions to the cause.

Mike

+1

nice work

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Man that is a sweet yard.

If you are interested in trying out the 4550 with the bigger waveguides let me know and I'll send it.

I would like to see how much it is limited by the Seos 12.

Your a hard working man Matt

Thanks for your time.

Chris W

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
This is a great thing that you are doing for our community, Matt! When do you plan on getting started?

Do you already have the Seos waveguides? I am just curious to know if you will have to order the Seos-18 and Seos-24 and wait on them to be shipped to you from Poland?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Just remember that the same horn/waveguid can have different polar patterns when different drivers are used. THis can be VERY radical-or totally non existant-depending on the particular driver and horn combination.

It is REAL easy to read too much into a measurement of a single driver-UNLESS htat is the driver/horn combo that is actually going to be used.

I first becasue aware of this decades ago when I tried 2 different drivers (same manufacturer) on a single horn. ONe driver was VERY narrow in its coverage and the other "filled out" the horn the way it was supposed to be.

HOWEVER-when I used a different horn/type/coverage etc (same drivers) both drivers had the same coverage.

It all comes down to how well the horn./driver interaction/angles of exit and so forth "work together".

I remember hearing about a comparison back in the 80's in which Manufacturers A was saying their drivers were better than manufacturer B and they had the data to prove it. Yet manufacturer B saide theirs were better and THEY had the data to prove it.

HOWEVER the variable was that while the different drivers were being used-the horn they were placed on was made by the particular manufacturer. So each manufacturers driver perfromed better on THEIR horn-but not as good on the other manufacturers horn.

Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Matt, if you'd like to test it I could offer up a BMS 4594 CD on an XR1464 horn.

This should be a fun comparo!

·
Registered
151 Posts
This should be very interesting!

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
One horn that I have always been curious about is Dave Harris' Eliptrack-400 horn that is used in some Klipsch based builds such as the Cornscalla. This horn goes for almost the same as the Seos24, I believe something between $450 and $500 per pair. I never see these horns mentioned but the guys over at the Klipsch forums say they are top-notch.

1 - 20 of 230 Posts