AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 230 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
Some electronics fun, should make taking the measurements a little easier/faster:

I also just updated my REW installation (I was still using a version from a few years back) and realized I have been missing out an whole bunch of interesting stuff. I especially like the ability to keep the measurement name and automatically add sequential numbers to further measurements.
That is very cool. Awesome rig.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I wish someone could build me a rotating platform like that. Manually moving it isn't optimal.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Well the rotating platform itself is basically just a 12" lazy suzan bearing, a pair of round cutouts from previous subwoofer cabinets and a small wooden stand to get the speaker off the bottom.

I'll post the details of the electronics when I have them finalized.

I do plan on building a larger diameter turntable that's more stable with big speakers, this one can get kind of scary with larger/heavier things on it since the center of gravity of the speaker can get close to the edge of the platform. More then once I have to use counterweights to keep the thing from tipping.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Well the rotating platform itself is basically just a 12" lazy suzan bearing, a pair of round cutouts from previous subwoofer cabinets and a small wooden stand to get the speaker off the bottom.

I'll post the details of the electronics when I have them finalized.

I do plan on building a larger diameter turntable that's more stable with big speakers, this one can get kind of scary with larger/heavier things on it since the center of gravity of the speaker can get close to the edge of the platform. More then once I have to use counterweights to keep the thing from tipping.
I use a lazy susan bearing for crude indoor measurements. And a large rotating platform for outdoor or measurements in a gym as seen below. But I have to turn it manually, which gives inaccuracies and basically makes it impossible to measure both to the right and to left. Have to copy instead, but that's not ideal if you have drivers that are placed horizontally assymetrical. Having electronics to move it is way better.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Here is the finalized wiring diagram and Arduino code for the speaker turntable (attached as text document, change to .ino or copy/paste). If anyone has questions just let me know.
Turntable wiring.png

Attachments

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 · (Edited)
Updating the List of Drivers/Horns I have to test, my collection has only grown in the past few years.

1" Exit 1-3/8" x 18 Compression Drivers:
(Left) - Celestion CDX1-1010, 1446, 1731.
(Top Middle) - Timpano TPT-D250X, TPT-DH175.
(Right) - PRV DT175PH-S, D230Ti-S, D280Ti-S.
(Center Middle) - Eminence ASD1001, F110M-8.
(Bottom middle left) - Denovo DNA-150.
(Bottom Middle Right) - Blast King 72BHM200PL.

1" Bolt On Compression Drivers:
(Left Column - top to bottom) - Denovo DNA-205, DNA-325, DNA-360.
(Center Left Column - top to bottom) - 18 Sound XD120, Dayton D250T-8 / D250P-8.
(Center Column - top to bottom) - Peerless DFL-2525R00-08, PRV D230Ti-B, PRV D280Ti-B, Selenium D220TI-OMF.
(Center Left Column - top to bottom) - Celestion, CDX1-1720, CDX1-1730 (16 Ohm), CDX1-1742, CDX1-1745.
(Right Column - top to bottom) - Celestion, CDX1-1440, CDX1-1445, CDX1-1425, CDX1-1747.

1.4" Compression Drivers:
Eminence N314X-8.

1" - 1-3/8" TPI Threaded Horns/waveguides:
B-52 (PE Buyout) - TE-8180.
Dayton - H6512, H07E, H10RW, H08RW, H110.
PRV - WG11-25, WGP14-25
JBL/Selenium - HM17-25, AC895(Clone Horn).
Timpano - TPT-DH175 SLIM Horn.
Blast King - 72BHM200PL Horn.
Denovo - DW-774s, DW-62s, DW-654s, DW-7Es (a bigger version of the Dayton H07E) + A bunch of them that either never had a name or I forget what model number they were given.

1" Bolt On Horns/Waveguides:
Denovo - SEOS-8, SEOS-10, SEOS-12, SEOS-15, SEOS-18, SEOS-66, SEOS-77, EOS-6, EOS-10 + a few others.
QSC - HPR152i
18 Sound - XT120 (clone), XT1086 (clone)
RCF - HF101 (clone)
Eminence - H290C

1.4" horns:
B&C - ME90 (Clone)
Faital Pro - LTH142 (Clone)
Random 1.4" EOS waveguide, I forgot I had this one but likely got it from Erich H at some point.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Can I send my stock and long awaited to do list over for testing? Seriously for real?

I really want to see that 314X on a horn that supoorts and loads down to 700. Im game to see it in that LTH142, Ive wanted to try that and the new Ciare 1.4” 60x40. Ive got the Eminem H14EA if you want to try it with the driver. I also have a 18Sound Id like to hear/see it on.

Id send over the 464 but Im not spending 100$ in shipping to get it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
I'll let you know when I have everything going smoothly and can quicky get your stuff tested. I don't want stuff sent here which might sit for a few months if I encounter unexpected issues or if I can't get around to testing this stuff for a while.

I still want to make up and experiment with larger side/roundover profiles to see if they improve the convergence of the low frequencies off axis.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
1" Bolt On Horns/Waveguides:
Denovo - SEOS-8, SEOS-10, SEOS-12, SEOS-15, SEOS-18, SEOS-66, SEOS-77, EOS-6, EOS-10 + a few others.
QSC - HPR152i
18 Sound - XT120 (clone), XT1086 (clone)
RCF - HF101 (clone)
Eminence - H290C
View attachment 3083830 [/ATTACH]
SEOS-66? SEOS-77?

Also what do you plan to measure on the SEOS8?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Square SEOS waveguides just left of the regular SEOS waveguides. The SEOS-77 will be used in the upcoming HT-88 MTM design. Nothing with the SEOS-66 yet but I did mount a Lavoce dome tweeter to it which measured quite nicely.

I'd like to test almost every driver I have on every horn/waveguide at least for on axis response / SPL & distortion. I'll see how far I get with that but it's likely I'll end up testing just a select few drivers on each horn. The screw on drivers won't be bad as it's just a few seconds to unscrew one and screw on another. The bolt on drivers may make me give up on that idea.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
D; all of the above
seriously, tho, my HTM6's in stereo, with subs, in the man cave-=so sweet
I will have a home in Maine that's going to need some sound this summer,
standing by
would that HT-88MTM make for a LCR set?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Added measurements of a few more horns I took over the past few days, bascially starting with the smaller ones and moving up in size. Once all the 1-3/8"-18 TPI horns are tested I'll move on to the 1" bolt on horns.

-Waveguide Shootout-

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 · (Edited)
Well I just determined my UMIK-1 must have been damaged at some point. Frequency response measurements are still valid but its distortion measurements are all bad. Specifically the 2nd harmonic distortion. That's why all the drivers measured around 100dB show ~1% distortion. It seems to have a ton of self generated 2nd harmonic distortion with regards to level.

I've got both another CSL calibrated UMIK-1 on the way as well as one of the new UMIK-2s from miniDSP.

So this is on pause until those new mics show up.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
Well I just determined my UMIK-1 must have been damaged at some point. Frequency response measurements are still valid but it's distortion measurements are all bad. Specifically the 2nd harmonic distortion. That's why all the drivers measured around 100dB show ~1% distortion. It seems to have a ton of self generated 2nd harmonic distortion with regards to level.

I've got both another CSL calibrated UMIK-1 on the way as well as one of the new UMIK-2's from miniDSP.

So this is on pause until those new mics show up.
Dang it. Just looked up the UMIK-2. Still only up to 125db.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Well the rotating platform itself is basically .....

Hey Matt,
Will this turntable work for you?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
HexiBase did a video recently about the new umik-2:

Interested to see if you see any measurement differences between the csl calibrated umik-1 vs the minidsp umik-2.

201 - 220 of 230 Posts