AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for the FIRST TIME I think I reached the limits of my PB-12NSD.

The scene that is HUGE at 22hz in THE HAUNTING where she says "its cold" I could REALLY hear port noise from the HUGE amount of air that the sub was pushing........Everyone knows the CHUUUFFFFFFFING sound....

can ANYONE else with a PB-12 and The Haunting DTS chime in.....or really anyone else who has this movie and knows the scene I'm speaking of...

I'm refering to the LARGE PINK DOT ALL BY ITSELF towards the middle of the waterfall chart....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...unting_cold.jpg

Reactions: Zallou3

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Man we must buy all the same movies, SPR DTS, JP DTS, Haunting DTS. I was always able to get my VTF-3 MK2 to display port noise on the Haunting and WOTW, but the HO w/turbo has those hugh 4" ports and doesn't cry uncle on the Haunting or WOTW. I'm still looking for the movie that will make it bow down. Are you running flat or calibrated a few dB hot. If hot try it with a flat calibration. BTW that scene is sick and has been a bass favorite of mine for years.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I have a VTF-3 MK2. Used to get a bit of chuffing on WotW, and The Haunting DTS was SCARY, more scary for the sub.

But with bass traps and my sub eq'd flat, with a bit of a house curve below the low 30s with a nice rise, calibrated about 3dB hot, WotW DTS is controlled and amazing at ~12 RL, as is The Haunting at ~15RL. The Haunting's bass used to be scary because the sub was out of control, it seemed like. But with the sub eq'd and the bass traps, I can hear all of the detail in the bass. No chuffing, either.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
That is the perfect demo for my ultra/2! at reference and ss at 20Hz the pressure

that is developed will move things on my desk 8ft away! and no chuffing!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kweezr /forum/post/0

That is the perfect demo for my ultra/2! at reference and ss at 20Hz the pressure

that is developed will move things on my desk 8ft away! and no chuffing!

Am I just expecting TOO MUCH from my PB-12NSD?

I just wonder what that "should" sound like..

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu /forum/post/0

Maybe....

I've heard that scene using a PB10 and there was a bit of chuffing the closer

we got reference levels, I recall hearing port noise around -8 or so

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kweezr /forum/post/0

Maybe....

I've heard that scene using a PB10 and there was a bit of chuffing the closer

we got reference levels, I recall hearing port noise around -8 or so

Well my reciever was running at -10db and the subwoofer level was at -2db.

Gain on the SVS was about 1/3 aka the 10:30-11 o'clock position.....

(sub is in a corner too)

I'll try to get my SPL out very soon and run that scene and write down some numbers for us

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

Quote:

Well my reciever was running at -10db and the subwoofer level was at -2db.

Gain on the SVS was about 1/3 aka the 10:30-11 o'clock position.....

(sub is in a corner too)

I'll try to get my SPL out very soon and run that scene and write down some numbers for us

how big is your room?

·
Registered
9,959 Posts

Quote:

You've been buying a lot of the bass classics as of late - you really should step up and build a DIY sub, then you'll never have to wonder. Chuffing, output compression, lack of infrasonic extension - all things of the past. There's only so much a 12" driver with 325 watts and a 4" port can do.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas /forum/post/0

You've been buying a lot of the bass classics as of late - you really should step up and build a DIY sub, then you'll never have to wonder. Chuffing, output compression, lack of infrasonic extension - all things of the past. There's only so much a 12" driver with 325 watts and a 4" port can do.

So funny you posted that because I just told another member that once I get some extra cash, and some free time in the summer I might tackle a SONOTUBE project.....

I know there is only so much a 12 with 325watts and a 4"inch port can do.....I'm just trying to push it to its limit without going overboard....

My room.....12x16x8 OPEN into my dinning room which is 12x12x8. Then the Dinning room has an open doorway into my kitchen....

(I'll EVENTUALLY finish my basement and have a nice, sealed, theater area)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

Quote:

So funny you posted that because I just told another member that once I get some extra cash, and some free time in the summer I might tackle a SONOTUBE project.....

I know there is only so much a 12 with 325watts and a 4"inch port can do.....I'm just trying to push it to its limit without going overboard....

My room.....12x16x8 OPEN into my dinning room which is 12x12x8. Then the Dinning room has an open doorway into my kitchen....

(I'll EVENTUALLY finish my basement and have a nice, sealed, theater area)

That's big area for that PB12 to cover.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know.......thats why I'm going to add a 2nd one and stack them........6db boost...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Haunting DTS gets my 18" Velo so excited my stone house shakes so much that my wife forbids me to watch it when she is home! But when I'm alone, look out cats!!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats why this DTS version is a MUST have for people who love subwoofers and their HT systems!!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have this DVD, and have an SVS 20-39 PC+ cylinder-style sub. It has a 550 watt amp in it. I've watched that scene many times - my whole living room vibrates when viewing it - but I've never bottomed out my sub or heard the chuffing sound from it. -- even when playing at ref level.

I now also have the improved 12" driver from SVS as of last Sept. That driver is even more capable of producing excellent bass like this scene without falling over...

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhull /forum/post/0

I have this DVD, and have an SVS 20-39 PC+ cylinder-style sub. It has a 550 watt amp in it. I've watched that scene many times - my whole living room vibrates when viewing it - but I've never bottomed out my sub or heard the chuffing sound from it. -- even when playing at ref level.

I now also have the improved 12" driver from SVS as of last Sept. That driver is even more capable of producing excellent bass like this scene without falling over...

Do you have the address of the scene?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.