AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Sorry to read about your pic problems. I'm using an Apple 4K box also on a LG Oled and have had no problems. Looks great in Dolby Vision 4K. Not trying to rub it in. Perhaps post in the LG TV thread of the display forums. Did you download the latest update from Apple?
Let me clarify...I can force the show into Dolby or HDR and it looks fine, but when I set my Apple TV to 4K SDR @ 60 hz(which is where it should be set, I am told) that is where the problems seem to lie.

Maybe I'll try to take a video of the problem this weekend.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Are you watching in HDR/Dolby or SDR?
Been a week or so and I don't recall.
I have the ATV set to match resolution so it was either HDR10 or DV whatever Netflix is offering.
Come to think of it it could have been DV on the LG and HDR10 on the Sony.
It wasn't SDR.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Been a week or so and I don't recall.
I have the ATV set to match resolution so it was either HDR10 or DV whatever Netflix is offering.
Come to think of it it could have been DV on the LG and HDR10 on the Sony.
It wasn't SDR.
Thanks...yeah if I force the show into Dolby or HDR it looks fine. Just 4k SDR is the problem I think.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Just finished it up last night. Glad I watched it. It's a competent finale. Made my fiancee cry, and she's not really a big crier.

Saw a buzzfeed with stills of all the background ghosts, and my god, I think every damn shot in the show had a ghost hiding in it somewhere. The article even missed one in its own photo. It pointed out two ghosts in a scene where there were three. I watched it 6 ft from a 65" TV playing Dolby Vision, and I didn't catch anywhere near all of them. I even jacked up the brightness a little. Oh well, a nice, creepy ghost story just in time for the Halloween season. it's nice living in the golden age of TV.

·
Premium Member
10,897 Posts
My wife and I just wrapped up the season and we were both disappointed by the final episode. We thought it was too long, too chatty and too sappy. Had the first couple of episodes been like this one, we'd've given up on the show pretty quickly. Thankfully, the first half of the season - from the strong start to the terrific ending of Ep. 5 - was worth every moment of viewing. :)

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Just finished binging the last 4...wow. Probably the best series on Netfix in 2018?

I'm also trying to explain to people that they missed like 75% of the creepiness if they didn't have 5.1 or Atmos...holy s**t...what an amazing sound mix for a TV show. The channel separation and overhead effects...SUCKED me into the atmosphere of the show. Absolutely loved it.

Dolby Vision was great...nothing to write home about but contrast was pretty excellent.

All in all, SKIP House of Cards, watch this show...absolutely fantastic from start to finish

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I couldn't agree more about how great Atmos is on this series. The storm seems were incredible, coming from every single speaker in the setup.....and the perfect amount of sub punch.
Episode 6 was incredible...seriously some great TV

Do yourself a favor and watch this show in the dark with the sound turned UP

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Netflix Renews Hill House as Anthology Series with The Haunting of Bly Manor
By Liam Mathews, TVGuide.com - Feb. 21, 2019

Netflix has signed a new overall deal with The Haunting of Hill House executive producers Mike Flanagan and Trevor Macy, the streaming service announced Thursday. The deal includes an order for Season 2 of what's now officially an anthology series, The Haunting. The second installment, called The Haunting of Bly Manor and based on Henry James' 1898 horror novella The Turn of the Screw, will arrive in 2020 and focus on entirely new characters.

Season 1, The Haunting of Hill House, premiered last year and was a loose adaptation of Shirley Jackson's classic horror novel of the same name. The season was written and directed by Flanagan and landed at No. 2 on TV Guide's list of the best shows of 2018. The announcement that The Haunting is now an anthology series is not unexpected, as Hill House ended conclusively and Flanagan always planned for it to be an anthology series.

The show's Instagram teased the new location, but then Netflix quickly revealed an answer.

Flanagan and Macy, under their Intrepid Pictures banner, have become Netflix's top horror producers, with their movies Gerald's Game, Hush and Before I Wake currently available on the service, as well as The Haunting of Hill House. Outside of Netflix, they're currently in post-production on Doctor Sleep, an adaptation of Stephen King's sequel to The Shining, starring Ewan McGregor and Rebecca Ferguson.

The Haunting of Hill House is available to stream on Netflix.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/netflix...ouse-season-2/

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The Haunting of Bly Manor Will Happen This Fall on Netflix — See First Photos

The Haunting of Bly Manor — as in Netflix’s follow-up to the super-unsettling The Haunting of Hill House — will happen this fall, the streamer announced via the release of a poster on Monday.

Based on Henry James’ gothic horror novella The Turn of the Screw, which is set at a old country mansion, The Haunting of Bly Manor marks an all-new chapter in TV franchise creator Mike Flanagan’s anthology series. (The Turn of the Screw has already inspired a slew of adaptations, most notably a 1950 Broadway play and the 1961 movie The Innocents.)

Victoria Pedretti, Henry Thomas, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Kate Siegel and Catherine Parker — who respectively played The Haunting of Hill House‘s Nell, Hugh, Luke, Theo and Poppy — are all confirmed to return for Bly Manor, while the new faces include Years and Years‘ T’nai Miller and iZombie‘s Rahul Kohli.

Yet despite the wealth of Hill House alumni, Bly Manor will feature a new story with all new characters. “We tied up all of those threads exactly how they should be,” Flanagan previously explained to TVLine. “I don’t really see a need to revisit those characters, even in cameos.”

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
why not create a new thread for Bly Manor since it's an anthology series...

Hill House was great...my only concern with Bly Manor is bringing back a lot of the same actors to play different roles...seems a bit gimmicky and people might confuse the stories as being related

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
why not create a new thread for Bly Manor since it's an anthology series...

Hill House was great...my only concern with Bly Manor is bringing back a lot of the same actors to play different roles...seems a bit cheesy and people might confuse the stories as being related
Works for American Horror Story...assuming they can pull it off

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Haunting of Hill House: Every Actor Returning In Bly Manor
The Haunting of Bly Manor cast includes big names from The Haunting of Hill House, yet the story is entirely new. Here are the returning performers.

BY Q.V. HOUGH

The Haunting of Bly Manor cast includes several performers from The Haunting of Hill House, yet the story is entirely new. Loosely based on Henry James' novella The Turn of the Screw, Mike Flanagan's horror series follows a woman's creepy experiences at a country home, and—if the adaption stays true to the source material—the narrative will seemingly focus on the unreliable nature of the lead character's perspective. The Haunting of Bly Manor is set for an October 9 release on Netflix.

In pop culture, Flanagan is best known for directing Doctor Sleep, an adaption of Stephen King's eponymous sequel to The Shining. Over the past several years, the American filmmaker has become one of the most exciting cinematic voices in horror, and the 10-episode The Haunting of Hill House elevated his status even more. The adaptation of Shirley Jackson's original 1959 book focuses on the Crain family, and takes place in both 1992 and 2018, allowing for a unique visual aesthetic. As for The Haunting of Bly Manor, there will similarly be a mix of cultural nostalgia and supernatural horror, at least based on the official teaser trailer.

The Haunting of Hill House cast features familiar faces like Timothy Hutton and Carla Gugino, but it's rising star Victoria Pedretti who steals the show as Nell Crain, a woman who is emotionally traumatized by her supernatural experiences. The Haunting of Bly Manor cast hasn't been revealed in full, but there are indeed several cast members from The Haunting of Hill House who have been confirmed for the 2020 series. Here are the returning performers.

Victoria Pedretti As Dani Clayton

Victor Pedretti stars in The Haunting of Bly Manor as Dani Clayton, an American nanny who accepts a job in the English countryside. In The Haunting of Hill House, Pedretti portrayed Nell McCrain. She recently appeared in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as Lulu and starred as Love Quinn in You season 2.

Oliver Jackson-Cohen As Peter

Oliver Jackson-Cohen portrays a man named Peter in The Haunting of Bly Manor. In pop culture, Jackson-Cohen is best known for portraying Luke Crain in The Haunting of Hill House and Adrian Griffin, the titular character in the 2019 film The Invisible Man.

Henry Thomas As TBA

The Haunting of Bly Manor co-stars Henry Thomas. In the trailer, he briefly appears with a stunned facial expression. Thomas portrayed Young Hugh Crain in The Haunting of Hill House. He's best known for starring as Elliott in the 1982 classic E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, and recently portrayed The Bartender in Doctor Sleep.

Kate Siegel As TBA

Kate Siegel has been confirmed for The Haunting of Bly Manor. In The Haunting of Hill House, Siegel portrayed Theodora Crain. She also starred as Maddie in Hush, and appeared as Sally in Gerald's Game.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
I don't think Mike Flanagan can hit another home run with Season 2 but I'm hoping for the best...usually with these anthology series it's hard to keep the quality consistent- Fargo did it for 2 seasons but that's a rare exception

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
I don't think Mike Flanagan can hit another home run with Season 2 but I'm hoping for the best...usually with these anthology series it's hard to keep the quality consistent- Fargo did it for 2 seasons but that's a rare exception
looks like I was wrong...I'm hearing Bly Manor is just as good if not better then Hill House...Mike Flanagan has done it again

41 - 60 of 88 Posts