AVS Forum banner

6221 - 6240 of 16176 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I've been looking at getting a bigger 2nd TV (I have a 32" Samsung I use as a computer monitor currently)...something in the 50" range. I looked around at the Black Friday deals, and nothing really appealed to me. Honestly, I'd love a 4K set, but don't really want to spend the money for one yet, so that'll probably come when more content is available.

Anyway, I've never owned a 3DTV, and thought it might be a good time to buy one since, now that they're pretty much phased out, I could probably find one for cheap. I game on my PC all the time, and my GTX 970 can play a lot of last-gen console games at 120fps without much trouble, so it seems like a decent idea. I looked for used sets in my area, and found a Vizio E3D470VX that the owner claims is in excellent condition. They're asking $450 for it, which is high, but they said they'll negotiate the price. If I could talk them down to $350 or so, would it be a good buy? If not, what other sets should I be looking at?

Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I've been looking at getting a bigger 2nd TV (I have a 32" Samsung I use as a computer monitor currently)...something in the 50" range. I looked around at the Black Friday deals, and nothing really appealed to me. Honestly, I'd love a 4K set, but don't really want to spend the money for one yet, so that'll probably come when more content is available.

Anyway, I've never owned a 3DTV, and thought it might be a good time to buy one since, now that they're pretty much phased out, I could probably find one for cheap. I game on my PC all the time, and my GTX 970 can play a lot of last-gen console games at 120fps without much trouble, so it seems like a decent idea. I looked for used sets in my area, and found a Vizio E3D470VX that the owner claims is in excellent condition. They're asking $450 for it, which is high, but they said they'll negotiate the price. If I could talk them down to $350 or so, would it be a good buy? If not, what other sets should I be looking at?

Thanks for the help.
Its a 2012 set not to mention it's a Vizio , I would look for something newer or negotiate it way below $450.00

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Hi All,
I'm looking for a recommendation, I have the Samsung LN40A550P3FXZA for ages now and I love it but it's getting to the point where sometimes it wigs out when I turn it on so I'm reluctantly in the market for a new set.
Yesterday I picked up a UN40HU6950 4K set, I had also been looking at the LG 49" UB8500 series until I saw negative PQ reviews. I am not keeping the Samsung 6950 4K set, so I am back to looking for a quality 1080p set.

Here's the deal, I use my set primarily as a desktop monitor a bit past arm's length for CAD, spreadsheets, web etc and the set I have is dialed in thanks to settings and advice found here on AVS. The 4K 6950 has nothing on my set when it comes to PQ, it does make for a nice 4K USB picture frame of rendered CAD images though. :(

What I want:
  • ~39"-40"
  • LED
  • Better monitor performance: 1080p 120Hz HDMI with low lag for PC use
  • Pixel perfect text, graphics, video... Is there even a set that does this?
Optional Smart TV, the Smart Hub functionality seems pretty nice, LG Web OS also looks cool. The idea here is that I can slack off and watch some media once in a while on the thing without firing up my workstation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Based off my current research I've come up with the Samsung H5XX and H6XX series as well as the Vizio E and M line. A lot of this was based off of the reviews from a website called RTINGS and playing around with the TV at Sam's Club where they actually had remotes available so I could try out the menu's. If there are Sony TV's or some other brand I should consider please speak up.

1)
Budget: Preferably less than $1,000 but willing to go over by $200 to $300 if needed.
2) Seating Distance: ~10' to 12' but I have a Standout Designs entertainment center that easily rolls forward to reduce the distance if needed. I can also move my center channel (what my TV sits on top of) forward another 6" without having to move the entertainment center at all.
3) Size limitations: MUST be less than 55" wide. Will NOT be wall mounted. MUST be placed on a center channel speaker that is 22" wide by 12" deep. Current TV stand is 14" deep and just hangs off the back of the center speaker by two inches. Any LG TV that has the two legs at the far edges of the TV is completely out. The Samsung "X" stand would require me to build a platform to put on top my center channel speaker which I would prefer not to do but am willing to if that is the hands down winner.
4) Uses and Sources: 60% TV (Cox cable) with the wife and kids, 20% movies (BluRay on PS3) and 20% games (PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii).
5) Room Lighting: 4 windows in the living room at 90 degree angle to TV, but all have black out shades that can be lowered. Typically when watching TV at night all we have is a single end table lamp that has a 60W bulb. When I go hard core movie watching mode, (no wife or kids home) then its completely dark except for ambient light from cable modem, WiFi router, and other devices like that.

Additional Notes:
- Currently considering 60" TV's based off of the seating distance and limit of 55" width limit for TV.
- Don't care about 3D. Perfectly fine if TV is only 2D.
- Not too concerned about refresh rates unless there is upcoming BluRay technology I don't know about that will output native content at >60fps. Formula 1 is the closest I come to watching sports.

- Smart TV sounds cool but isn't required since we don't have any accounts for NetFlix, Hulu, Rhapsody or things like that. We also keep a laptop on the coffee table and use that or iPad's when we need to browse the web.
- A swivel TV stand is a nice bonus but not required.
- TV MUST have built in speakers. (While watching TV with wife and kids we use the built in TV speakers)
- 2 HDMI inputs and 1 Component Input are a MUST. (Would prefer 3 to 4 HDMI inputs to avoid problems in the future if additional devices are purchased and need to be connected.)
- Plan on making a small investment in DIY calibration gear and software and would prefer TV's that have CMS and grayscale setup options to make this process easier.
- Would prefer a TV that I can see before buying. (Available stores in my area are Sam's Club, BB and Conn's). Online only TV's would not be an option for me.
- Prefer TV's that have an inactivity timer since my wife often falls asleep while watching TV. (Current TV has this option)
- Will be using my Logitech Harmony or Cox Cable remote so the remote control doesn't matter.
- Must have a Power Off button and prefer to have Input/Menu/Volume buttons if possible.

If there are any other questions I can answer please let me know.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Brian B.
For what it's worth, the 2014 vizio m series might be a good choice. I just bought the m552i-b2 on Friday based on cnet's reviews. I was very attracted to the set due to the full array backlight.

That being said, it does struggle out of the box, especially in producing accurate skin tones. I haven't found a single preset that I'm happy with. I'm hoping to find some calibration settings that work (the ones published by Cnet are for the 60 inch set, and do NOT look correct on the 55 inch set I have).

The local dimming feature is OK. I will probably end up turning it off. The set has great brightness uniformity if you are sensitive to that.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Hi All,
I'm looking for a recommendation, I have the Samsung LN40A550P3FXZA for ages now and I love it but it's getting to the point where sometimes it wigs out when I turn it on so I'm reluctantly in the market for a new set.
Yesterday I picked up a UN40HU6950 4K set, I had also been looking at the LG 49" UB8500 series until I saw negative PQ reviews. I am not keeping the Samsung 6950 4K set, so I am back to looking for a quality 1080p set.

Here's the deal, I use my set primarily as a desktop monitor a bit past arm's length for CAD, spreadsheets, web etc and the set I have is dialed in thanks to settings and advice found here on AVS. The 4K 6950 has nothing on my set when it comes to PQ, it does make for a nice 4K USB picture frame of rendered CAD images though. :(

What I want:
  • ~39"-40"
  • LED
  • Better monitor performance: 1080p 120Hz HDMI with low lag for PC use
  • Pixel perfect text, graphics, video... Is there even a set that does this?
Optional Smart TV, the Smart Hub functionality seems pretty nice, LG Web OS also looks cool. The idea here is that I can slack off and watch some media once in a while on the thing without firing up my workstation.
if you want pixel perfect text on 32"- 40"+ at least a 4K TV and 4K , preferably 2160p/60 video card in your PC .

1080p cant make real sharp perfect PC text at 40" like a decent 24" - 30" WQXD or WQXGA + PC monitor although it can be quite readable with the TV sharpness way down as long as the TV is not subtractive at the lower settings .

I have a 40" Sony on one of my PC's for 2nd screen it's about as good as one can get on a PC to 40" TV at 1080p you just have to keep the sharpness on the TV below 4 ,the TV in game mode and the vid card set at YbCbr 4:4:4 .

I would look to Sony 40W600B or 50W800B for low game lag and good 1080p (usually a little sharper picture than Samsung 1080p) although the Samsungs will usually have more max brightness they tend to also have some input lag . .

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
So as it turns out I went and bought a 2160p/60 graphics card last night. And I may keep the 4K set if I can get the 4:4:4 working...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi to all forumers!
I need help choosing 55 inch LCD TV, and my doubt is between Panasonic TX-55AS640E or Samsung H6670?
What wories me at Samsung is the quality of plastic, it's full of qwerks and gaps, while Panasonic (like LG, Sony) is well built.
On the other side Samsung has better smart options (but not importan form me cause I will use PC) and dual tunner, but it seems to me that picture is on the side of Panasonic.
So, all after all, is there some final advice before buying an tv?

Thx:confused:

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
So as it turns out I went and bought a 2160p/60 graphics card last night. And I may keep the 4K set if I can get the 4:4:4 working...

The 4:4:4 chroma subsampling will help extended color like rec 2020 4K HDR when it becomes more available in a few yrs and presently 1-255 chroma subsampling on 2K or 4K 4:4:4 PC videos , PC + console gaming. ofc the 2160p/60 or 2160p/30 from the PC will be good for the TV and maybe text as opposed to upscaling 1080p or 2560 x1440 from the PC good luck .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Once again, I appeal to the Hivemind

6 years ago, on the recommendation of AVS Forums members, I bought a Samsung HL61A750 (61 inch, LED DLP). It has been fantastic, and still works perfectly. I can get about $300 selling it to a friend for the kids playroom.

So, thinking of new TV (Of course!)

My budget is about $1,000-1,200. I am primarily playing recorded and downloaded content. So, most TV programs are 720p (1 GB per hour), movies are 1080p (7-8 GB per hour).

I have a nice home theater system, so speakers are not an issue.

Do I look at something like the Seiki 65 Inch 4k?

I am at 61 inches now, and don't really want to go smaller.

Don't need any Smart TV functions (have an XBMC box).

I guess I really have three options:

1. Seiki 65 inch 4k
2. Some 65 inch 1080p set

or

3. Keep what I have a little while longer.

Any advice would be received with gratitude.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm stuck between the Sony KDL50W800B and the "BestBuy exclusive" Sony KDL50W700B. I'm shopping in the US btw if that matters.

My budget:
$700-$1000, but preferably on the lower end of that range if possible.

What I'm using the TV set for:
85% gaming (most of which will be online FPS)
10% Netflix streaming
5% Blu-ray watching

What I'm looking for in an ideal TV set:
Low input lag
No motion-blur
Deep black levels
Motion interpolation (could someone explain the difference between this, refresh rate, and Sony's Impulse Mode? I'm totally clueless here.)

I don't care about the speakers, 3D, or internet TV features at all.
I will also mention that I nearly bought a Vizio E480i-B2, but changed my mind after seeing excessive motion blur and weird colors as it pertains to skin tones.

According to a BestBuy rep my Sony KDL50W800B has been discontinued. But it runs around $950 or so on Amazon.

What I need to know is if the Sony KDL50W700B is the same set minus the 3D features. I fell in love with W800B's performance in store. So I don't want to settle with the W700B if that happens to mean settling. I still want that same smooth motion and low input latency. And those awesome black levels are an absolute must, since I play some awfully dark games and 90% of the movies I watch are darker still.

For some reason, the W700B was not even listed on the Sony.com So I just reviewed the BestBuy.com list of specs for the Sony W700B.

Based on the specs of each model, would you expect a comparable level of performance from the Sony W700B? Is it possible to divine performance capabilities from a set of specs anyway?

Thanks for the help, all. :3

·
Registered
219 Posts
Down to the final 2.
Vizio 60" p602ui-B3
Samsung 65" un65h7100afxza.

Samsung is 65" vs vision 60".
Samsung is 3d.
Vizio is 4k.

Both are the same price , $1500 until tomorrow.

Can't decide between these two. Help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you think it's foolish to buy a 5-year warranty from SquareTrade for an extra $125? This is the first TV I've ever purchased myself, but the Samsung and Vizio LCD sets in my childhood home are still going strong after 7 and 5 years respectively. So would a max 5-year warranty be money wasted? Or do TVs commonly crash before the 5-year mark?

Additionally, when I spoke with a Sony rep last night, he told me that a US BestBuy shouldn't even be selling the Sony W700B, since it is an Australian model. But he would neither confirm nor deny whether the W800B and W700B had different features/parts/performance stats. I asked many clarifying questions to see if he even understood what I was asking him. Sometimes he would claim the models were completely identical, but then turn around and admit they were different when I pointed out the differences listed in front of me on Sony's and BestBuy's webpages. Even though I couldn't see his face, I swear from the tone of his voice it was sporting a blank look. Maybe I just got a new guy.

Finally, I read this article, and I was wondering if anyone here knew whether the Sony W706 (a UK model) is the cousin to the US W700B. They claims that this model has an input lag of only 15 ms when tested by Leo Bodnar's method. And by all appearances, this UK model highly resembles the US 700B. But I'm not sure all the hardware is identical.

Dang, still can't post links. Anyway, the article "Best gaming TVs 2014" is on avforums.com.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Do you think it's foolish to buy a 5-year warranty from SquareTrade for an extra $125? This is the first TV I've ever purchased myself, but the Samsung and Vizio LCD sets in my childhood home are still going strong after 7 and 5 years respectively. So would a max 5-year warranty be money wasted? Or do TVs commonly crash before the 5-year mark?
You'll think it's $ wasted only if you buy an extended warranty & never use it, but it's for piece of mind basically. Most will not have a prob with their flatscreen, but I did. Bought my LG 60" plasma Dec '11 & Aug '14 one of it's main circuit boards started to fail. Naturally LG declined to do an out of warranty fix, so I went on the hunt for a new tv, liked the Sony & have also purchased an extended warranty; just for piece of mind! The cost is reasonable but bear in mind, read the terms & conditions before buying one!:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I need help choosing my TV for Gaming, Sporting Events and Movies ???

I am stuck between 3 different TV selections. I will be using this for gaming and watching sports and movies primarily. So of course input lag and motion blur are the most important to me. Here are my choices and I will also list the problems with two that I am worried about but not completely sure can be fixed via settings or not. VIZIO-E390-B1E-39-1080p-60Hz-LED-HDTV Our other TV is an older Vizio and have loved it great TV, but from what I have read I am super worried about the Gray uniformity and being able to see the individual led's during sporting events and solid backgrounds. The dirty screen effect I believe that call it or something of that nature. Next choice is the Samsung-40-1080p-60Hz-LED-HDTV-UN40H5003AFXZA I have never really dealt with Samsung but with what I have read I am worried about the Motion blur on there Tv's and also heard a tale of using really cheap Capacitors on there builds. Last choice is Sony-KDL40R350B-40-1080p-60Hz-Class-LED-HDTV . I honestly am not familiar with Sony TVs either. These are my choices and would love some feedback as to why or why not I should choose each one. All feedback is welcome. Please remember that whichever choice I make it will be used for Gaming,Sporting Events and Movies. Thanks so much

·
Registered
20 Posts
Help me decide between these two tvs, please.

I recently purchased both, and they are in the processing of shipping out to me. I'm not sure which one to keep yet, so I'd like some help deciding. The specs are fairly similar, and I don't care about the Smart aspect of the Vizio because I have a Roku 3 already hooked up. I'm more looking for recommendations based on quality, picture, and brand. I know they're not top of the line tvs by any means, but hopefully I can still get some help here. Thanks in advance. Any advice is much appreciated. So far the only thing making me lean toward the Vizio is the extra HDMI input, but as I only have 3 in use now, I don't see myself really needing the fourth one, so it's a very minor advantage. Reviews would lean me toward the Sharp, except most of the poor reviews when it comes to similar Vizio models seem to be regarding the Wi-Fi, which I do not need.

As far as what I will be using it for/conditions of use. It will be on a lot of the day, as my wife likes to watch a lot of TV in the evening and on weekends, so mostly for tv, Netflix, Vudu, and Blu-rays. We do some very light gaming but not much. I have a 6 year old LCD LG 42" now, so this should definitely be an upgrade. I'm hoping that the LED LCD will cut down slightly on the glare I get from my overhead lighting.

Sharp: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-50-class-49-1-2-diag--led-1080p-hdtv-black/5420114.p?id=1219128177728&skuId=5420114 $399

Vizio: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/50-120hz-led-wifi-1080p-4-hdmi-wifi/prod15630218.ip?navAction= $398

·
Registered
8 Posts
Every time I think I have the TV I want nailed down, I learn something new. So hoping to get some clarity from the experts!

1) Budget: Preferably less than $2,000
2) Seating Distance: ~13' to 14' from where we will be sitting 95% of the time. We have a couch that is on the side that runs the length between the TV and where we sit, so we need something with good viewing angles for people sitting there.
3) Size limitations: No limitation. Almost pulled the trigger on the Vizio 80" deal at Costco but missed out. :(
4) Uses and Sources: 70% HTPC (Plex) and DirecTV (Genie), 30% Gaming (PC, Xbox One, PS4)
5) Room Lighting: 3 windows on the north side of the living room with heavy wood shades which helps with light. Some lighting from the west where the kitchen is. Overhead fan w/ light and TV is facing the Kitchen which is about 25' away from where the TV will be.

I am really looking for something sub 30ms input lag if possible. I don't care if it is 1080p or 4K right now. I have been watching Vizio more heavily as they seem to offer great solutions for the money in their M and P series as far as I can tell. I am having a hard time getting a good read on what the input lag is on the M series for gaming.

Right now we have a 55" Samsung LED from 2010. I just found out its input lag is about 180ms... which explains a few things. I really want to do better this time.

Is my best bet in the Vizio line? I also heard good things about Sony, and there is a good price on the W850 70"... but I just want to make sure I am getting the most for what I am spending.

Thank you!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello everyone,

Recently, I have been thinking of buying a new HDTV, mainly for gaming and watching blu ray movies. I currently own a 52 samsung lcd tv: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN52A6.../dp/B001413DF8 , And I would like to upgrade my tv for a larger one, Minimum size 65 inch, with low input lag and good picture quality. I have looked at the sony 65w950b and 70w850b since they have low input lag with large screens, but they have many issues, these were like the largest tvs with the least input lag available right now. So what other choices do i have? is it better to wait next year for the new 4k model tvs?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Replacing a PZ850u

Hey everyone.

I have had a Panasonic 58" PZ850u for about 6 years now and I absolutely love it but I would like something larger and maybe 4K.

My dilemma is that plasmas are no longer available. I have read that the absolute best plasmas have PQ that LCDs can't really match but the plasma I have isn't the "absolute best" so I guess what I am getting at is there an LCD on the market today that is larger than 58" that has a "better or equivalent" PQ than the PZ850u? I know there is a lot of "opinion" and "meta" being thrown around in that question (I apologize, I don't know how else to ask the question). I am aware that Panasonic will soon be releasing the AX900 which supposedly rivals the best plasmas that used to be sold but my sense is that will trump my budget of about $3,000.

Thank you.

6221 - 6240 of 16176 Posts