AVS Forum banner

13641 - 13660 of 16176 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Been checking out motion blur and input lag figures on Rtings and I really like the look of the LG UK6570 but the 70" has a VA panel unlike the rest, that has IPS.

Am I wrong to think the motion blur and input lag figures for the VA panel could be completely different?
I would only recommend going to see as many different sets as possible and to prioritize the features that matter most in you application. For instance, is rarely sitting off axis and or seldom having family/friends sitting off axis, I would definitely go with a VA panel as contrast ration and black level tend to be far superior.

As for Rtings, do bear in mind the results that folks like like humblebrag about are in Game Mode where most all picture enhancements and even local dimming are turned off. For instance, on Sony's flagship Z Series the newest F series has much lower lag. However, outside of Game Mode the results are often a toss up with some favoring the prior flagship Z9D.

Reactions: CruelInventions

·
Registered
126 Posts
looking for help deciding on a replacement tv. Currently have a Sony Bravia kdl 40v3000. looking to up grade, was thinking 55" would be a great srart. Since i like my current Sony, i was looking at sticking with that, but after reading some reviews on others, i am willing to try. Was looking at the Sony x900f in a 55, but after reading, maybe the x850f in a 65 would be better.

budget around $1000.

seating is about 9-10'

Back of the house faces east with three large windows, during the day its bright, but we have curtains and blinds going in, still some good light. Later in the day and evening, it gets pretty dark.

Will run a 4k surround receiver, probably something from Integra. Everything will run to this if possible.

Use will be streaming Netflix from Shield player on a daily basis.

X box one s gaming 2 hours a day, longer on the weekends, maybe some ps3 playing.

football a few hours during football season.

eventually will get a 4k player to watch Friday and Saturday night movies.

some ota every once in a blue moon, so not really relevant. I understand that some tvs may not have antenna connections, i have a work around for that.

let me know if more info is needed and what everyone thinks.

thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Need help on new panel.
Budget is approx. $1,500
Watch a mix of sports, cable and Netflix tv, no gaming.
Traditional living room environment but with limited reflection issues
Majority of viewing will be done close to head on.
Sitting approx 10 feet from TV
Seems like my research has concluded 2 potentials (Sony 900f 65'' or Samsung nu8000 in 75'')
Not sure if the increase in size is worth slightly lesser quality, or if I'm missing another option.
Thanks for the guidance!
John
Jon,

Sounds like you and i are in the same boat. I wouldn't mind the 65" in my case, but only if the video quality is going to be good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
Old 43" Pioneer plasma in the basement has died so the current 50" Samsung plasma hanging in the family room will move to the basement and be replaced by the new 55-60 inch screen.

Am not necessarily after the absolute Best. Picture. Ever., but picture quality is still very important (hence choosing plasmas years ago over LCD's).

Viewing is primarily cable, some sports, and some streaming. Little DVD these days.
No gaming.
Not an overly bright room environment, and always watch with dim ambient lighting. Limited reflection issues.
Viewing is mostly head on, but off axis is important.
Minimal motion blur.

Ease of use (though I will take the time to set it up properly, I'm not one to change setting based on the input source)
Prefer no external boxes, but am flexible on that.
Though price is a consideration to some degree it isn't the deciding factor.
Burn in would make me crazy, but haven't had a problem with it on the plasmas.

OLED's seem be offering most, if not all, I need but am open to other display types.

Suggestions would be most welcome.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
The 2018 40" to 43" HDR TV round up.

None of the top high end models are offered in the 40 to 43 inch size...so this is what you have to pick from if you are size limited. At 49" to 50" better performing options are available. At 55" top of the line is available.

*TCL 43S517 aka 43S515 (Best HDR color performance, the only set with a wide color gamut for HDR) (Great Roku UI) (Dolby Vision & HDR10)
TCL 43S405 (and variants) (Great Roku UI) (Dolby Vision & HDR10)

These Samsungs have the 3rd Best UI behind LG and TCL. None of the Samsungs play Dolby Vision, but do HDR10.

Samsung 43NU7100
Samsung 40NU7100 (this one is 40")
Samsung 43NU6900
Samsung 43NU6290
Samung 40NU6290 (this one is 40")

Sony 43X720E (S-IPS Panel good for wide viewing angles, but poor black levels) (Best Low Definition480i/480p video scaling) (Dobly Vision & HDR10) (Android UI is lackluster)

Vizio E43-F1 (Solid performer) (Dolby Vision & HDR10) (Worst UI of the bunch)
Vizio D43-F1 4K version (Solid performer) (Dolby Vision & HDR10) (Worst UI of the bunch)

LG 43UK6300 (S-IPS Panel good for wide viewing angles, but poor black levels) (Great WebOS UI) (Dolby Vision & HDR10)

The TCL 43S517 aka 43S515 is the best HDR performer at this size and has a great Roku UI. This is the top recommendation.
All sets have good black levels besides the S-IPS panels as mentioned.
All sets have low input lag for video gaming.
The Sony has the best low definition upscaling (480i/480p).
The Samsungs are the only sets that handle classic retro consoles 240p signal correctly (NES, SNES, Genesis)
If you are going for an S-IPS set, the LG 43UK6300 has a much better WebOS UI, the Sony has better low def processing.
If you need 40" and not 43" then go for one of the Samsungs.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
These Samsungs have the 3rd Best UI behind LG and TCL. None of the Samsungs play Dolby Vision, but do HDR10.

Ahem, that's a very subjective opinion. There is those of us that prefer AndroidTV over all the others. As always YMMV.

Reactions: EscapeVelocity

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Ahem, that's a very subjective opinion. There is those of us that prefer AndroidTV over all the others. As always YMMV.
Meh. Vizios also have great Chromecast ability too, trying to squeeze everything into a post that newbs can swallow in one sitting is bound to have some compromises.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My apologies as this is therapy for me to say the following. I hope this doesn't get deleted. Being an owner of a plasma
for 10 years/ I saw a 1080p oled tv years ago in bestbuy. I said to myself that is the
next tv I want. Fast foward to December of 2018 and a couple of years of an unhealthy obsession of convincing myself I needed a 4K tvand an addiction to a/v gear and tech with

constantly reading this thread and major health issues.I needed a stroke to come to the realization that I don't need a tv and no tv is perfect.
The industry lacks quality control. and all have issues in some form. Pretty much everything is throw-away.
In fact I no longer want a tv as I am happy with what I have and say to myself my plasma tv is perfect. blu ray movies look great, xbox 1 looks fantastic. I will no longer post needing advice for a tv.
God Bless everyone. Enjoy your family/friends be kind to others. One of my favorite movies to watch around this time of year is
A Christas Carol, the one with Patrick Stewart or Allistar Sim. Just remember there is always someone that could use help. I wish I can heed my own words as i am not functional like I use to be.
Ha a Merry Blessed Christmas.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Merry Christmas godney99.

Well said. These are just things, it's people that really matter.

Reactions: gondey99

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I wish I can heed my own words as i am not functional like I use to be.
Ha a Merry Blessed Christmas.
Hey I haven't been fully functional since 1975 when I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillations complicated by high blood pressure. I had crazy wild irregular heartbeats for years before they came up with some drugs to control it somewhat. Then Rheumatoid Arthritis in 1985 with severe joint damage everywhere, a herniated disc in 2003, torn ligaments in my shoulders in 2005 and 2009, followed by Lymphoma in 2012. Some surgeries, radiation treatments, and 2-year infusion program seems to have sorted that out and I am still here! Yeah I don't walk very well, can't use my hands to do much, take lots of medication, have constant visits with my Rheumatologist, Cardiologist and Oncologist but still do what I can. No more softball, bowling, golf, tennis, hiking, etc., but I can mow the lawn, play with my grandson and do other little things around the house. Just focus on what you can do, do that, and be thankful for what you have. And, IMO, being forced to watch a plasma TV isn't really that bad - I still have two of them myself. ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
TV for bright room and some angled viewing

Looking to replace my 7 year old Sony KDL60EX701. Any and all opinions appreciated. Due to often watching with lights on in the room, need good glare and reflecting handling, and also a picture that doesn't degrade too much on angled viewing.

1. Budget - Up to $1500, give or take $100-$200 (Will go higher if it means a major step up in quality. Will go lower if it means getting bang for my buck while spending less than I thought I had to).

2. Seating distance - Large family room. Large sectional sofa is about 13 ft away from TV.

3. Size/placement limitations - Custom wall unit table top will allow for a foot print of about 60" max between the leg positions. SO we are definitely in the 65-75" range. A 75" TV with a wider stand foot print will probably not work.

4. Uses and sources - Just got a Sony STR-DN1080 A/V Receiver. Also have a Directv HR44 Genie, Roku Streaming Stick+, and LG UBK90 Blu-ray player. No gaming at all. Just watching lots of network TV and streaming through our Roku Stick+, and sports, plus Blu-rays.

5. Room lighting - my wife and kids like to watch with the lights on on the room. I go along with it, although I would prefer less ambient light. For movies, we do turn the lights down, but not completely.

Am open to any and all manufacturers. Our Sony KDL60-EX701 has served us well and we had virtually no reliability issues with it at all.

Again, any and all opinions and info greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Looking to replace my 7 year old Sony KDL60EX701. Any and all opinions appreciated. Due to often watching with lights on in the room, need good glare and reflecting handling, and also a picture that doesn't degrade too much on angled viewing.

1. Budget - Up to $1500, give or take $100-$200 (Will go higher if it means a major step up in quality. Will go lower if it means getting bang for my buck while spending less than I thought I had to).

2. Seating distance - Large family room. Large sectional sofa is about 13 ft away from TV.

3. Size/placement limitations - Custom wall unit table top will allow for a foot print of about 60" max between the leg positions. SO we are definitely in the 65-75" range. A 75" TV with a wider stand foot print will probably not work.

4. Uses and sources - Just got a Sony STR-DN1080 A/V Receiver. Also have a Directv HR44 Genie, Roku Streaming Stick+, and LG UBK90 Blu-ray player. No gaming at all. Just watching lots of network TV and streaming through our Roku Stick+, and sports, plus Blu-rays.

5. Room lighting - my wife and kids like to watch with the lights on on the room. I go along with it, although I would prefer less ambient light. For movies, we do turn the lights down, but not completely.

Am open to any and all manufacturers. Our Sony KDL60-EX701 has served us well and we had virtually no reliability issues with it at all.

Again, any and all opinions and info greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Sounds as if you need/want an IPS panel for a wider viewing angle and at 13 feet you need the biggest TV you can afford. Look at the Sony XBR75X850F. You can mount the feet turned in if it won't fit on your table. It seems that 75" LG IPS sets all have the very wide feet located at each end of the panel. Having lights on mitigates the grayish blacks that are typical of all IPS panel TVs.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Looking for some advice...

I am wanting to upgrade the 55" Samsung in my living room. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/j6200

We have an open floor plan and the TV faces the kitchen and dining room. Sofa is about 13ft from the TV. I am looking at 65-70". This is for general use with a soundbar. We have a projector set up in the basement for movie nights and video games.

Currently, we using streaming apps for:
Spectrum
Netflix (4k HDR)
Vudu (4k HDR)
Prime (4k HDR)
Hulu
WWE

As you can see from the list, not everything supports 4k or HDR. Therefore, I've been looking at the Vizio E Series (seems to be better than TCL 5 series). I know the P is better and the TCL 6 series is also great, but they are several hundred more. Thoughts? It appears I can get a 65" E series for under $700 if I am patient. I am not sure I could find a P or TCL for close to that even if I wait until Superbowl time.

Am I on the right track? Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all, need advice on ...

I think my question comes down to size vs. FALD. Is the picture on the 65Q8 that much better than the 75Q6 to make up for the size difference? Will I regret going 65 vs. 75? The 75 will fill the entire wall basically. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Update on my inquiry: I ended up going with the 75Q8FN. I saw the 75NU8000 and 75Q6FN many times in stores and felt that the Q8 offered a much better picture. The glossy screen finish just makes a huge difference IMO. Even better looking than the 75-900F. I will update more when I get the TV.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Looking for some advice...

I am wanting to upgrade the 55" Samsung in my living room. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/j6200

We have an open floor plan and the TV faces the kitchen and dining room. Sofa is about 13ft from the TV. I am looking at 65-70". This is for general use with a soundbar. We have a projector set up in the basement for movie nights and video games.

Currently, we using streaming apps for:
Spectrum
Netflix (4k HDR)
Vudu (4k HDR)
Prime (4k HDR)
Hulu
WWE

As you can see from the list, not everything supports 4k or HDR. Therefore, I've been looking at the Vizio E Series (seems to be better than TCL 5 series). I know the P is better and the TCL 6 series is also great, but they are several hundred more. Thoughts? It appears I can get a 65" E series for under $700 if I am patient. I am not sure I could find a P or TCL for close to that even if I wait until Superbowl time.

Am I on the right track? Thanks!
At 13 ft you want the largest screen size you can afford. If $700 is your budget, the Vizio E65-F1 is a good choice. The negatives are poor local dimming, poor upscaling and poor HDR brightness. The TCL 5 series would have better upscaling but arguably lower quality control and you might have to exchange it if you get a bad panel. I know both are available for less than $700 at Costco.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Is there any love for Toshiba on here?

I just saw this doorbuster for best buy today. Wondering if its worth it...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-55-class-led-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-fire-tv-edition/6194911.p?skuId=6194911

Depends on your use cases but Rtngs has the TCL 5 rated higher for gaming, color, Dolby Vision support, ROKU OS. The Fire TV is brighter with better black uniformity and requires Amazon Prime to get the most use of all the features.

·
Registered
424 Posts
@IAH , keep in mind Sharp, RCA, Toshiba are all brands licensed to budget manufacturers now. Not saying they can't be decent tvs. Surprised Panasonic has not licensed their name yet.
--------------------------------

I am in the market for a 65" to 70" tv for living room. I do not game. As a cord cutter, I currently use my tv with Roku or an attached PC. I have new Rokus and older Amazon Fires so smart features not important. While I will use pc for web browsing I will not do heavy work on it, (the pc is also attached to a monitor at a desk in the room behind it)

I almost got the Vizio 70 E series during BF but I backed out because of concerns of brightness. The TV I have been leaning towards is the Samsung 65NU8000 which is the only native 120hz that I am currently aware of in the

13641 - 13660 of 16176 Posts