AVS Forum banner

16401 - 16420 of 16741 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I'm close to buying Samsung QN75Q90T (75" screen, 10' viewing distance). Will be in a room with 2 windows, shades partially open during day. Moving up from 52" Sony LCD from 2007, KDL-52XBR4. We watch Blu-Rays, DVDs, NetFlix, Amazon Prime, misc streaming, gaming, and an old library of hundreds of SD DVDs. Anybody have an opinion of 'No' or 'Other' on this TV? (Samsung is having a 'we pay the taxes' event in October, in Canada, which = 15% for me.) Thanks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Help me choose between sony x900h and Q70R 85 inch versions. I want whatever has the best picture quality as a whole. I don't care that the Q70r doesn't have hdmi 2.1

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Hi, I'm close to buying Samsung QN75Q90T (75" screen, 10' viewing distance). Will be in a room with 2 windows, shades partially open during day. Moving up from 52" Sony LCD from 2007, KDL-52XBR4. We watch Blu-Rays, DVDs, NetFlix, Amazon Prime, misc streaming, gaming, and an old library of hundreds of SD DVDs. Anybody have an opinion of 'No' or 'Other' on this TV? (Samsung is having a 'we pay the taxes' event in October, in Canada, which = 15% for me.) Thanks.
Shouldn't be an issue. "Outstanding" reflection treatment says rtings.

Good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Help me choose between sony x900h and Q70R 85 inch versions. I want whatever has the best picture quality as a whole. I don't care that the Q70r doesn't have hdmi 2.1
Q70T doesn't have FALD either, so the X900H seems the better choice. You'd hafta step up to Q80T.

Good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey all, so I'm coming from a Samsung UN65F7100AFXZA which I got back in 2013. I held off 4k because of no real 4k sources then, and basically promised myself a new tv come next gen gaming console. Well that's soon isn't it.

Primary usage is gaming, streaming content from Netflix, prime, Disney +, crave etc... and yeh, I'll even pick up some nice 4K blurays as I am a movie buff.

I am not a competitive gamer, and so a visually pleasing experience is priority over any sort of advantage due to input delay/lag etc...

I really would like a bigger screen so looking at 75" this time around.

I'm so confused with all the options, but seems to be Sony X900H and Nano90 so far... I couldn't tell the difference at Best Buy, but he just put the same 4k YouTube video on, so I'm sure, wasn't really pushing the capabilities of the tvs.

I really want to also enjoy HDR.

Room is going to be the primary family room. Windows to one side and open area to the other.

I know that the ps5 won't really push 4k at 120hz, but just want to enjoy a solid picture, 4k, with the HDR elements and ideally at 75". Budget is ~$2500 CDN

Currently the Nano90 is $2500 and the X900h is $2600, but I am NOT by any means and expert, or have kept up with the latest. That's why I'm here, and open to suggestions and other advice too.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Currently the Nano90 is $2500 and the X900h is $2600, but I am NOT by any means and expert, or have kept up with the latest. That's why I'm here, and open to suggestions and other advice too.
The NAN90 is an IPS panel, so poor black levels but wide viewing angles. The X900H is a standard VA panel, so great black levels but narrow viewing angles. Both are FALD but Sony's algorithms work better. Get the Sony unless you need wide viewing angles and watch TV in a lighted room.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I'm talking about the Q70R from 2019, not the Q70T from this year
Yes, the Q70R is a traditional "QLED" VA panel with FALD that has deep blacks. It's a bit brighter than the X900H for HDR and has a higher contrast ratio for deeper blacks. Both have typically narrow VA panel viewing angles and mediocre reflection handling. The X900H was found to have "soft" upscaling due to it's low-end processor so one of Sony's traditional advantages is not relevant. If you don't "need" Dolby Vision, the IMO the Q70R is the better choice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The NAN90 is an IPS panel, so poor black levels but wide viewing angles. The X900H is a standard VA panel, so great black levels but narrow viewing angles. Both are FALD but Sony's algorithms work better. Get the Sony unless you need wide viewing angles and watch TV in a lighted room.
hmm... so then by this leaning towards the Nano90 cause majority use case will be leave the lights on, like how I use my computer monitor.

When we have a family 'movie night' we turn off the lights, grab the popcorn, get settled in etc, but that's not often enough, and then there's 3 of us, so viewing angle matters...

Although, at Best Buy, the viewing angle was decent, at least 45" on the Sony. Maybe it was because well lit room, the source... gonna hit up audio video 2001 today and see what they have on display...

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
I'm talking about the Q70R from 2019, not the Q70T from this year
My apologies, haste made waste during a call to dinner.

Dave summed up pretty well.

I'd pay attention to Q70R screen uniformity, reflections, and local dimming. The latter can be aggressive in dimming entire picture.

Re X900H 85", the basic processor is a disappointment, upscaling could be better, some early reports of a vertical line displayed in center of screen.

Good luck, have fun, stay safe. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
hmm... so then by this leaning towards the Nano90 cause majority use case will be leave the lights on, like how I use my computer monitor.

When we have a family 'movie night' we turn off the lights, grab the popcorn, get settled in etc, but that's not often enough, and then there's 3 of us, so viewing angle matters...

Although, at Best Buy, the viewing angle was decent, at least 45" on the Sony. Maybe it was because well lit room, the source... gonna hit up audio video 2001 today and see what they have on display...
Update - went to both AV2001 and Best Buy again to check out tvs.

AV2001 does not carry Sony, and he really spoke highly of the Nano90. I also noticed the Q80T there, but it's really stretching the budget by another $1000... The associate hooked up an avengers movie for me off of USB to show some black scenes, but I didn't like what I saw at all, maybe it was just a bad source, but he did say it was 4k... It seemed lacking in detail. Also, I asked him to turn off the soap opera effect and he said that's just how tvs are. On my current 7100 2013 Samsung, playing with motion plus would get rid of the soap opera effect, so I don't really know how accurate it is. His advice to me was the Samsung is the better tv and if I wait, MAY drop to $3Kish come Black Friday. But for $2500 CDN the LG is the direct competitor to the q80t and he would get the LG and save the cash.

On the way home I went to Best Buy and really looked hard at the X900h and the viewing angles. Yes it's not an IPS, but for real world application to the three of us and where we normally sit when watching TV, the viewing angle is fine.

Also, yes the room is going to be lit, but then again Best Buy is also well lit and I was happy with the brightness of the x900h. What I really appreciated about the x900h was the colour accuracy. And I liked the picture of the X900h better than the Nano90, so there's that.

So now, after seeing these tvs, am leaning towards the x900h.

Best Buy rep told me about calibration and extended warranty. I wanted to get opinions here if those things are worth it. I know pro calibration is worth it, but does geek squad do a good job? What about extended warranty? My Samsung is going strong after 7 years. What's quality control like with these tvs nowadays with all these extra, fancy features?

Am I making sense here? Could use guidance/validation...

Thanks again in advance...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes, the Q70R is a traditional "QLED" VA panel with FALD that has deep blacks. It's a bit brighter than the X900H for HDR and has a higher contrast ratio for deeper blacks. Both have typically narrow VA panel viewing angles and mediocre reflection handling. The X900H was found to have "soft" upscaling due to it's low-end processor so one of Sony's traditional advantages is not relevant. If you don't "need" Dolby Vision, the IMO the Q70R is the better choice.
how much difference does dolby vision make compared to hdr 10?

·
Registered
205 Posts
what's your opinion on the picture looking weaker in game made on the q70r vs the x900h, and the apparent motion issues Samsung has compared to the bad banding the x900h has??

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
what's your opinion on the picture looking weaker in game made on the q70r vs the x900h, and the apparent motion issues Samsung has compared to the bad banding the x900h has??
I don't game on TVs, I use a PC and dedicated 1440p FreeSync monitor. Banding on TVs is a non starter for me. It seems you're looking for reasons to get the Sony, so just go for it. It's not a bad TV.

·
Registered
472 Posts
What bad banding are you talking about? I see very little if any banding issues on mine, and have placed several test screens up on it.

·
Registered
16,178 Posts
Any thoughts on ::

TCL 75" 5-Series 4K UHD Dolby Vision HDR QLED Roku Smart TV - 75S535

I've been in this hobby since before it had a name .. so, yes, I understand the 'panel lottery' which seems to be inserted in about every second post and, really, could be said about any large TV ..

also, Mark had a very nice review of the 6 Series, which I am also considering ..

My budget maxes out at $1400 but I'd like to stay under that .. I'm 76 and on limited / fixed income

11' from seating to TV, room only gets sun in the AM, mixed use, no gaming, going from a 65" to a 75" .. 65" bit the dust .. I'm watching now on a TCL L40FHDF11TA 40-Inch 1080p that I bought 10 years ago .. it still displays perfectly ..

I've also looked at some of the Samsung's on Amazon that have been 'renewed' ..

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Any thoughts on ::

TCL 75" 5-Series 4K UHD Dolby Vision HDR QLED Roku Smart TV - 75S535

I've been in this hobby since before it had a name .. so, yes, I understand the 'panel lottery' which seems to be inserted in about every second post and, really, could be said about any large TV ..

also, Mark had a very nice review of the 6 Series, which I am also considering ..

My budget maxes out at $1400 but I'd like to stay under that .. I'm 76 and on limited / fixed income

11' from seating to TV, room only gets sun in the AM, mixed use, no gaming, going from a 65" to a 75" .. 65" bit the dust .. I'm watching now on a TCL L40FHDF11TA 40-Inch 1080p that I bought 10 years ago .. it still displays perfectly ..

I've also looked at some of the Samsung's on Amazon that have been 'renewed' ..
The 635, new tech, good SDR & HDR Peak Brightness, VRR, 120 Hz.

You seem to have good TCL vibes. Good luck. ;)

·
Registered
16,178 Posts
You seem to have good TCL vibes. Good luck.
I've got a Pioneer KURO as well as a Panasonic Plasma, both a bit older than the TCL .. when I bought the TCL, the company had first entered the USA I believe and I knew it was a crap shoot .. but, I wanted a cheap TV .. and, for that day and age, it was cheap enough .. first one had a blue vertical band, returned, got replacement which has lasted fine since then ..

Truth is, if buying mail order, about any TV of any size is a crap shoot .. build quality / construction is far less than it used to be in the quest to make TV's lighter .. so, I believe having one shipped runs as much risk or more than a panel issue ..

Amazon is now on extended returns window, which stretches to January .. so, plenty of time to demo and evaluate .. Prime Day next week ..

My 65" Hitachi Director's series lasted 16 years and performed flawlessly up until the end .. I don't expect any modern set to reach that .. in fact, I'd seriously consider a 75" 1080p if any were still made ..

Reactions: Panson

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Hello.

HDTV (smart is OK [no Roku -- hate their missing numerical keypads RCs; also need to include internal OTA TV antenna tuner], but preferred not) or a computer monitor that is over 20" and not so expensive? Mainly, it will be used for old computers (e.g., decade old PCs and MacBook Pros that still use VGA, DVI, DisplayPort, etc.) and future (HDMI including 4K) computers. Other devices might be used like AppleTV, cable boxes, disc (DVDs too) players, maybe VCRs, etc. It will be used for basic computing, Internet, watching videos, etc. Any recommendations to buy from online (Amazon) and local stores (e.g., Costco, Walmart, Fry's Electronics, Target, etc. in So. CA, USA)?

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

16401 - 16420 of 16741 Posts