AVS Forum banner

16421 - 16440 of 16504 Posts

·
Registered
16,106 Posts
Hello.

HDTV (smart is OK [no Roku -- hate their missing numerical keypads RCs; also need to include internal OTA TV antenna tuner], but preferred not) or a computer monitor that is over 20" and not so expensive? Mainly, it will be used for old computers (e.g., decade old PCs and MacBook Pros that still use VGA, DVI, DisplayPort, etc.) and future (HDMI including 4K) computers. Other devices might be used like AppleTV, cable boxes, disc (DVDs too) players, maybe VCRs, etc. It will be used for basic computing, Internet, watching videos, etc. Any recommendations to buy from online (Amazon) and local stores (e.g., Costco, Walmart, Fry's Electronics, Target, etc. in So. CA, USA)?

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
I personally don't know of anything that would accommodate all of the sheer number of inputs ..

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Looking for some sanity checks here, I'm replacing an ancient Sharp 46" LCD. Have done some research and also went to BB to check out in person. All that really did was convince me to go 65" vs 55" as the latter just looks tiny.

My needs are pretty basic, I have a basement setup with a projector and 92" screen, so that's where I do my movie watching. This replacement is for the living room, mainly daily viewing, a lot of sports, some Netflix and other streaming sources. The room is pretty bright with west facing windows so reflections are a concern especially for those weekend afternoon sports.

So I'm pretty much down to the Sony 950H vs 900H. Seems like the trade-off here for me is paying the extra $$ for better reflection handling and overall performance of the 950 with a sacrifice in contrast as well as some other items, i.e. HDMI 2.1 and the ATSC 3.0 tuner.

Also had considered rolling the dice with a TCL 6 series, but not really saving a ton there vs the 900. And the Samsungs seem like I'd have to step up to the Q80T to get similar performance?

Anything else I'm missing?

·
Registered
16,106 Posts
Looking for some sanity checks here, I'm replacing an ancient Sharp 46" LCD. Have done some research and also went to BB to check out in person. All that really did was convince me to go 65" vs 55" as the latter just looks tiny.

My needs are pretty basic, I have a basement setup with a projector and 92" screen, so that's where I do my movie watching. This replacement is for the living room, mainly daily viewing, a lot of sports, some Netflix and other streaming sources. The room is pretty bright with west facing windows so reflections are a concern especially for those weekend afternoon sports.

So I'm pretty much down to the Sony 950H vs 900H. Seems like the trade-off here for me is paying the extra $$ for better reflection handling and overall performance of the 950 with a sacrifice in contrast as well as some other items, i.e. HDMI 2.1 and the ATSC 3.0 tuner.

Also had considered rolling the dice with a TCL 6 series, but not really saving a ton there vs the 900. And the Samsungs seem like I'd have to step up to the Q80T to get similar performance?

I'm fairly certain that the Samsung Q80 series seemed to pop up regularly as a line that did a great job handling reflections ..

·
Registered
5,113 Posts

You've got it.

Re 65". Q80T (around $1800, with no discount is wildly overpriced) is in the X900H (around $1000) ballpark, and X950H (around $1500) is in the Q90T (around $2000) ballpark. Usually, a whopping Samsung discount is needed for realistic consideration. A decent discount is currently available on Q90T, but IMO it's still too far away from the X950H price (around $1500, that's with two hun off).

I think the X950H fits your needs. Better pricing ahead?

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts

The Sony X950H is better than the X900H especially for a bright room since it is both brighter and better at reflection handling. If wide angle viewing is important, the Samsung Q80T and Q90T have better wide angle viewing performance and reflection handling than the X950H. IMO if your budget allows for it, you should look at the Samsung Q90T, which has 4 times the contrast ratio of the X950H with local dimming on, and is brighter, has better reflection handling, better wide viewing angle performance, and, according Rtings, better motion control.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
You've got it.

Re 65". Q80T (around $1800, with no discount is wildly overpriced) is in the X900H (around $1000) ballpark, and X950H (around $1500) is in the Q90T (around $2000) ballpark. Usually, a whopping Samsung discount is needed for realistic consideration. A decent discount is currently available on Q90T, but IMO it's still too far away from the X950H price (around $1500, that's with two hun off).

I think the X950H fits your needs. Better pricing ahead?

Good luck.
Yep, thanks. Was hoping to stay in the $1200 range or less which we agree would seem to eliminate the Samsungs. We'll see how long I can hold out waiting for a better price or if I stretch for that 950. Maybe Prime Day will bring something.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi,

Buying a TV soon and looking for recommendation:
  • must be 65"
  • no OLED due to lighting control
  • distance from tv is 12'
  • 5x8' window 90 degree to the left of the tv
  • budget 3k
  • 70% YouTube tv, 25% Netflix and occasional PS5 gaming in the future.
Leaning toward Samsung Q90T but open to consider other TVs if I will get better picture quality based on what I watch.

I like Samsung's software as I can easily cast my android phone and the tv app suite it has built in, not sure how better Sony's will be.

TIA

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Hi,

Buying a TV soon and looking for recommendation:
  • must be 65"
  • no OLED due to lighting control
  • distance from tv is 12'
  • 5x8' window 90 degree to the left of the tv
  • budget 3k
  • 70% YouTube tv, 25% Netflix and occasional PS5 gaming in the future.
Leaning toward Samsung Q90T but open to consider other TVs if I will get better picture quality based on what I watch.

I like Samsung's software as I can easily cast my android phone and the tv app suite it has built in, not sure how better Sony's will be.

TIA
Good choice, Samsung Q90T 65". The other to consider is Sony X950H 65". Both are easily within your $3K budget, currently around $2K and 1.5K respectively. FWIW 75" models are currently around $3.3K and $2.8K respectively.

Q90T has HDMI 2.1 (single port), Ultra Viewing Angle.

X950H has Dolby Vision HDR, X-Wide Angle, Ultimate Processor, better pre-calibration, screen uniformity, color accuracy.

Both should display similar PQ, motion, upscaling, anti-reflection.

Good luck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks Panson.
I went to BB today and checked 65" Q90T and X950H. Unfortunately my visit wasn't very useful since the stuff there won't hook up both brands to the same content and Samsung's 4 TVs sitting next and top each other are not synced.
Sony's display had 3 LCDs and the A8H but they were synced. The OLED dominated the dark scenes while the LCDs the bright scenes. I loved how dark scenes looked on the OLED, feels like 3D but unfortunately my lighting isn't controlled and most what we will watch are TV shows, news..etc.

I think I am set on the Q90T based on the specs, pro and user reviews and the demo I have seen today. I am planning to order it from Amazon and I will have until Jan 31st to return it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking for recommendations on a new TV. Last tv I bought (and kept) was a Samsung LB40C630 back in 2010. Did purchase a LG C8 Oled I think two years back, but had trouble with audio being out of sync, was using it in a bright room with a wall of windows and cable sports (specifically hockey) looked very mediocre, so I returned it.

Looking for a 55” or 65” TV budget in Canadian dollars is $1500-2500 ideally. Tv will be placed opposite a wall of windows with blinds (not blackout) so still have lots of light coming through! Primarily used for Netflix 4K (60%), watching hockey (lots of bright white) and basketball (30%), and some PS5 gaming (10% or less). Audio is a LG SJ7 sound bar - but will likely upgrade to something better post TV purchase.

Currently looking at the Sony X950H, Samsung Q90T (access to deep discount), and the LG CX.

I have concerns with each - namely X950H viewing angles, Q90T Dirty screen effect gamble (if using discount I can’t return it) and CX being used in a bright room (although majority of viewing is at dusk / night).

Looking for recommendations / opinions as I’m at a loss.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Currently looking at the Sony X950H, Samsung Q90T (access to deep discount), and the LG CX.

I have concerns with each - namely X950H viewing angles, Q90T Dirty screen effect gamble (if using discount I can’t return it) and CX being used in a bright room (although majority of viewing is at dusk / night).
Never buy anything you can't return, so eliminate the Q90T. In a bright room, the X950H is a good choice. It has better viewing angles than normal VA panels, but not as good as the Q90T or CX.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi - replacing a 6-year old mid-range Samsung 60" TV (UN60H6300) as it's developed a 3" dark spot on the lower edge, near the center of the screen. It's our family room TV, in a fairly bright room during the day. We've never had any problems with viewing angle or brightness. We have a separate media room for watching movies and gaming. Right now, I'm looking at the Samsung RU9000 at Costco (5-year warranty) for $880 and the Sony x900h (Costco model X90CH) $970, or open to other suggestions. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sony X900H or LG CX OLED for primarily movies, TV viewing in a moderately bright room (TV mounted between two windows above fireplace mantle, no window facing TV so no direct reflection)?

I am in Canada and can get the Sony 65X900H for $1400 or the LG 65CX for $2500. I don’t mind spending the $ if the LG is truly $1100 better but I’m not sure it is in a reasonably bright room. The salespeople at local stores suggested the Sony as they felt the LG quality is best in darker rooms else LCD is more than good enough.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Hi all. I recently moved into a new house where setting up my Epson 5040UB and super-sized custom 2.35:1 (approx) screen doesn't seem doable (i.e., my wife says 'no'). The LR is smaller at this new house, though, so I'm hopeful that I can live happily enough with a much smaller screen and am looking forward to the benefits of better blacks and daytime viewing (my old room had very poor light control).

My primary wants/needs are:
  • Size - the bigger the better (looks like 86" is the top-end)
  • Budget - no more than approx $3500
  • PQ - of course
What I don't care about is gaming. I may play some occasional games with the family on this, but I'm not a gamer, so I don't care about VRR.

I also don't care about any smart functionality, as I'm perfectly fine with using an external box or dongle (Apple TV, Firestick, etc.) to get that functionality.

At the top end of my price range is the 77" OLED Sony XBR77A9G. I've read nothing but good things about this, but it's right at the top end of my budget and is 8-9" smaller than other (cheaper) non-OLED TVs that are out there. I've sacrificed PQ for size in the past, and I still lean that way. Plus, with TVs becoming more and more "disposable" these days, there's a part of me that thinks I should just buy an 85-86" TV with "good enough" PQ if it's significantly cheaper than that Sony and just plan to upgrade sooner than I otherwise might.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Thanks Panson.
I went to BB today and checked 65" Q90T and X950H. Unfortunately my visit wasn't very useful since the stuff there won't hook up both brands to the same content and Samsung's 4 TVs sitting next and top each other are not synced.
Sony's display had 3 LCDs and the A8H but they were synced. The OLED dominated the dark scenes while the LCDs the bright scenes. I loved how dark scenes looked on the OLED, feels like 3D but unfortunately my lighting isn't controlled and most what we will watch are TV shows, news..etc.

I think I am set on the Q90T based on the specs, pro and user reviews and the demo I have seen today. I am planning to order it from Amazon and I will have until Jan 31st to return it.
Small pet peeve here, you went to Best Buy to evaluate the TVs but won't buy from them. This is exactly the reason that Brick and Mortar stores are dying, if people continue this behavior it won't be long before we won't have any place to actually preview hardware before buying it. I can't imagine buying a $2K piece of hardware as a blind buy. Thank you for the military exchanges that still allow me to see hardware in person.

·
Registered
16,106 Posts
Small pet peeve here, you went to Best Buy to evaluate the TVs but won't buy from them. This is exactly the reason that Brick and Mortar stores are dying, if people continue this behavior it won't be long before we won't have any place to actually preview hardware before buying it. I can't imagine buying a $2K piece of hardware as a blind buy. Thank you for the military exchanges that still allow me to see hardware in person.
I'll simply add that asking for a Price Match at a B&M never hurts .. as well, even if they can come close, it still may be worth buying ..

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Sony X900H or LG CX OLED for primarily movies, TV viewing in a moderately bright room (TV mounted between two windows above fireplace mantle, no window facing TV so no direct reflection)?

I am in Canada and can get the Sony 65X900H for $1400 or the LG 65CX for $2500. I don’t mind spending the $ if the LG is truly $1100 better but I’m not sure it is in a reasonably bright room. The salespeople at local stores suggested the Sony as they felt the LG quality is best in darker rooms else LCD is more than good enough.
That was good advice re room light.

If you don't need X900H's HDMI 2.1 (coming in firmware update), you might consider Sony X950H with better HDR Peak brightness, Color Accuracy, Anti-Reflection, Ultimate Processor.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Hi all. I recently moved into a new house where setting up my Epson 5040UB and super-sized custom 2.35:1 (approx) screen doesn't seem doable (i.e., my wife says 'no'). The LR is smaller at this new house, though, so I'm hopeful that I can live happily enough with a much smaller screen and am looking forward to the benefits of better blacks and daytime viewing (my old room had very poor light control).

My primary wants/needs are:
  • Size - the bigger the better (looks like 86" is the top-end)
  • Budget - no more than approx $3500
  • PQ - of course
What I don't care about is gaming. I may play some occasional games with the family on this, but I'm not a gamer, so I don't care about VRR.

I also don't care about any smart functionality, as I'm perfectly fine with using an external box or dongle (Apple TV, Firestick, etc.) to get that functionality.

At the top end of my price range is the 77" OLED Sony XBR77A9G. I've read nothing but good things about this, but it's right at the top end of my budget and is 8-9" smaller than other (cheaper) non-OLED TVs that are out there. I've sacrificed PQ for size in the past, and I still lean that way. Plus, with TVs becoming more and more "disposable" these days, there's a part of me that thinks I should just buy an 85-86" TV with "good enough" PQ if it's significantly cheaper than that Sony and just plan to upgrade sooner than I otherwise might.
If you're viewing habits for this dark? room are largely without gaming and news channels, and you're not nervous about burn-in, then Master Series Sony A9G is an ideal consideration for your budget. Currently around $3500 with a sizable discount.

Other thought, Sony X950H 85" is currently around $3800 with a modest discount, but I'd expect a considerably better discount in the not too distant future.

Good luck, have fun, stay safe.

16421 - 16440 of 16504 Posts