AVS Forum banner

16441 - 16460 of 16504 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Small pet peeve here, you went to Best Buy to evaluate the TVs but won't buy from them. This is exactly the reason that Brick and Mortar stores are dying, if people continue this behavior it won't be long before we won't have any place to actually preview hardware before buying it. I can't imagine buying a $2K piece of hardware as a blind buy. Thank you for the military exchanges that still allow me to see hardware in person.
Bestbuy has 15 days return policy and their holiday return policy starts on November 1st. I asked the sales associate if they can offer me holiday return policy today I will buy it right away for which he said they can't.
I have BB credit card so I get 5% gift certificate that expires in few weeks and I find it useless for me because I will be forced to buy something I don't currently need.
Amazon on the other hand offers me return policy until Jan 31 and 3% cash back for owning their credit card.
So which one do you choose specially when it's not guarantee the price of the tv will stay where it currently is today on November 1st.
Best Buy is a large corporate and they can do better but they choose not to, so it's not my fault when a large corporation fails to compete.

Anyways, I ended up ordering 65" Sony A8H despite my uncontrolled lightening but the picture quality was so good to let go. I got an exceptional deal that I couldn't pass

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looking for a TV after a long long time ( 10 years lol!) . I have a Panasonic plasma TV which is still going strong and will keep it till it gives up probably. I also have a Optoma UHD50 which I love but unfortunately rarely watch .

I need a TV for eating area in kitchen. Probably a 48 inches ( Last time I was looking at TVs there used to be 46 inch version too but world has moved on apparently!)

Desired Size 48 inch (Viewing distance is 6-10 ft depending on where I am in kitchen). Don't want it to be overbearing in kitchen.
Content will be Delivered by fire TV Stick 4K. I prefer UHD / 4K though at this size it may not make much difference?
Need decent black levels. Kitchen is well lit with big windows so it has to be bright enough too.
Budget : Close to $600/700
Prefer Costco because of extra warranty but not a deal breaker.
I like Samsung/Sharp panels last time I checked them out.
Do not need it to smart TV as I am planning on using streaming device anyway but Netflix/HBO/Disney built in will help
Should have decent sound since I do not plan on adding speakers/bars to it .

·
Registered
226 Posts
First world problems for sure, but I swear having too many choices can be a real pain. Going down the review rabbit hole, tv X is better than tv Y, but Y is better than Z, but then Z is better than X. It's a circular firing squad almost.

I am looking for three or so solid choices LED/LCD on a 75" screen to replace a Samsung 52" B6300, and looking for something in the $1500-$1800 range.

We watch OTA broadcasts and occasional sports, but the main use would be 4k disc and streaming. We don't game and that's not on the horizon.

Would like this to have Atmos, DV, and HDR10, and also have good reflection-handling as there is a window which would be across from it.

Sets I've looked at (and keep circling around and around with, Lord help me):

• Sony X900H
  • TCL 6 Series R635
  • Vizio P-Series Quantum X P75QX-H1
Would be willing to consider the LG 75NANO90UNA but I don't know much about it. Quality Samsungs seem to be priced out of my league, but if there's a unicorn I'd be interested in knowing about it.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Looking for a TV after a long long time ( 10 years lol!) . I have a Panasonic plasma TV which is still going strong and will keep it till it gives up probably. I also have a Optoma UHD50 which I love but unfortunately rarely watch .

I need a TV for eating area in kitchen. Probably a 48 inches ( Last time I was looking at TVs there used to be 46 inch version too but world has moved on apparently!)

Desired Size 48 inch (Viewing distance is 6-10 ft depending on where I am in kitchen). Don't want it to be overbearing in kitchen.
Content will be Delivered by fire TV Stick 4K. I prefer UHD / 4K though at this size it may not make much difference?
Need decent black levels. Kitchen is well lit with big windows so it has to be bright enough too.
Budget : Close to $600/700
Prefer Costco because of extra warranty but not a deal breaker.
I like Samsung/Sharp panels last time I checked them out.
Do not need it to smart TV as I am planning on using streaming device anyway but Netflix/HBO/Disney built in will help
Should have decent sound since I do not plan on adding speakers/bars to it .
Ideal would be what Costco doesn't currently carry. Sony X950H 49", currently around $1000 with no discount. Maybe wait for a discount?

If you need something now, perhaps Samsung Q60T 50" (also not at Costco), currently around $500 with a $150 discount.

AFAIK Samsung doesn't have HBO built-in.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
First world problems for sure, but I swear having too many choices can be a real pain. Going down the review rabbit hole, tv X is better than tv Y, but Y is better than Z, but then Z is better than X. It's a circular firing squad almost.

I am looking for three or so solid choices LED/LCD on a 75" screen to replace a Samsung 52" B6300, and looking for something in the $1500-$1800 range.

We watch OTA broadcasts and occasional sports, but the main use would be 4k disc and streaming. We don't game and that's not on the horizon.

Would like this to have Atmos, DV, and HDR10, and also have good reflection-handling as there is a window which would be across from it.

• Sony X900H
  • TCL 6 Series R635
Would be willing to consider the LG 75NANO90UNA but I don't know much about it. Quality Samsungs seem to be priced out of my league, but if there's a unicorn I'd be interested in knowing about it.
The LG has an IPS panel. The TCL is a Roku TV, with reported haloing and blooming. I'd eliminate both.

The shoot-out is with...

Sony X900H might be of interest to you, with ATSC 3.0.

Vizio P-Series Quantum X P75QX-H1 tests well at rtings. Better anti-reflection, HDR Peak Brightness.

Good luck.

·
Registered
16,106 Posts

• Sony X900H
  • TCL 6 Series R635

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hope it's ok for for me to ask this in this here thread...

I've been looking for a 65" TV and I've narrowed it down to the Sony X900H and X950H (a varied selection I'm sure you'll agree!)

I wish I could stretch my budget and get an OLED, but I'm not willing to scrimp on size.

So here's what I'll be using my new TV for:

- Gaming
- Movies and Shows

Now, I've read everywhere that HDMI 2.1 is 'essential' for next gen gaming, especially VRR. But aren't most games going to run at 4K60? Only performance modes will bring 120hz gaming? High end gaming PCs have barely been able to achieve 4K120 (until rtx 3090)

So why would I need HDMI 2.1 and VRR for next gen console gaming (I'm getting the PS5)?

Wouldn't it make most sense to prioritize picture quality?

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to reading your help and advice!

Best wishes!

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I hope it's ok for for me to ask this in this here thread...

I've been looking for a 65" TV and I've narrowed it down to the Sony X900H and X950H (a varied selection I'm sure you'll agree!)

I wish I could stretch my budget and get an OLED, but I'm not willing to scrimp on size.

So here's what I'll be using my new TV for:

• Gaming
  • Movies and Shows
Now, I've read everywhere that HDMI 2.1 is 'essential' for next gen gaming, especially VRR. But aren't most games going to run at 4K60? Only performance modes will bring 120hz gaming? High end gaming PCs have barely been able to achieve 4K120 (until rtx 3090)

So why would I need HDMI 2.1 and VRR for next gen console gaming (I'm getting the PS5)?

Wouldn't it make most sense to prioritize picture quality?

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to reading your help and advice!

Best wishes!
You got it, don't need 2.1 for PS5. X950H is a better choice with its Ultimate Processor, HDR Peak Brightness, Color Accuracy, Anti-reflection.

Good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My budget D43-D1 finally bit the dust so I'm in the market for a new TV. Happily it was covered under the Costco extended warranty for the full price. So I'm looking for a replacement and preferably and upgrade. It's stuck in an Ikea Expedit cabinet that limits the size to a 43" TV, though I could in theory pull off 48" or so that is only 107cm wide and not partially block the cubes. Wife seems dead set against me mounting a 65" on the front and blocking the cubes. =)

it's in a living room that gets bright and in the evening the sun sets almost directly casting light on it. Even with the blinds pulled it the D43-D1 was unwatchable from certain locations, like our main sitting area. I tried calibrating it correctly but in the end pretty much set the TV to vivid during it's life to be able to see it without a struggle when it wasn't night. We also watch from various angles, the room layout predates when TV's were the feature wall. I watch hockey, play PS4 but otherwise mostly stream shows/movies from netflix and have preordered a ps5.

Currently it's looking like a Q60T or X800H, with I believe a slight edge to the X800H given the room. After that, in my dream world I could squeeze an LG CX 48" on there but they seem missing in Canada, even 49" x950h could work but pushing it size wise. But realistically, what do you think my best option is around the $600cdn range? Witha preference to what is available on Canadian Costco since warranty worked with ease. =)

·
Registered
554 Posts
So looking for brightest 'cheap' (~$500) 55-65" tv.. Will be hanging from the ceiling in an outdoor covered patio. Let's just skip the 'it won't last'. I just want to get a feel for how it looks and what size is best...added benefit may be that it lasts a while. Willing to risk $500 before dropping $3-4K on an outdoor set. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Bestbuy has 15 days return policy and their holiday return policy starts on November 1st. I asked the sales associate if they can offer me holiday return policy today I will buy it right away for which he said they can't.
I have BB credit card so I get 5% gift certificate that expires in few weeks and I find it useless for me because I will be forced to buy something I don't currently need.
Amazon on the other hand offers me return policy until Jan 31 and 3% cash back for owning their credit card.
So which one do you choose specially when it's not guarantee the price of the tv will stay where it currently is today on November 1st.
Best Buy is a large corporate and they can do better but they choose not to, so it's not my fault when a large corporation fails to compete.

Anyways, I ended up ordering 65" Sony A8H despite my uncontrolled lightening but the picture quality was so good to let go. I got an exceptional deal that I couldn't pass
But the point is you took advantage of Best Buy having a local brick and mortar, if you fail to purchase from them the option to go to Best Buy to evaluate in person will disappear. Maintaining a Brick and Mortar store is expensive and needs to be paid for some way.

Reactions: div2

·
Registered
554 Posts
So looking for brightest 'cheap' (~$500) 55-65" tv.. Will be hanging from the ceiling in an outdoor covered patio. Let's just skip the 'it won't last'. I just want to get a feel for how it looks and what size is best...added benefit may be that it lasts a while. Willing to risk $500 before dropping $3-4K on an outdoor set. Thanks!!
Bueller, Bueller? Thinking Vizio, Hisense,TCL...just don't know which cheapo would have brightest picture....also assume there is no such thing as a low cost tv with any type of anti glare.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Bueller, Bueller? Thinking Vizio, Hisense,TCL...just don't know which cheapo would have brightest picture....also assume there is no such thing as a low cost tv with any type of anti glare.
The 55" Hisense H9G is bright, has very good anti-reflective performance, but is $650. The lower H8G is $500, has better brightness than most and has decent the anti-reflective performance. The 2019 Vizio M Quantum is also around $500, is not quite as bright and has decent anti-reflective performance. Low end TCLs are a bit on the dim side with poor anti-reflective coatings. So if you can't go for $650, look at the $500 55" Hisense H8G and Vizio M Quantum.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
My budget D43-D1 finally bit the dust so I'm in the market for a new TV. Happily it was covered under the Costco extended warranty for the full price. So I'm looking for a replacement and preferably and upgrade. It's stuck in an Ikea Expedit cabinet that limits the size to a 43" TV, though I could in theory pull off 48" or so that is only 107cm wide and not partially block the cubes. Wife seems dead set against me mounting a 65" on the front and blocking the cubes. =)

it's in a living room that gets bright and in the evening the sun sets almost directly casting light on it. Even with the blinds pulled it the D43-D1 was unwatchable from certain locations, like our main sitting area. I tried calibrating it correctly but in the end pretty much set the TV to vivid during it's life to be able to see it without a struggle when it wasn't night. We also watch from various angles, the room layout predates when TV's were the feature wall. I watch hockey, play PS4 but otherwise mostly stream shows/movies from netflix and have preordered a ps5.

Currently it's looking like a Q60T or X800H, with I believe a slight edge to the X800H given the room. After that, in my dream world I could squeeze an LG CX 48" on there but they seem missing in Canada, even 49" x950h could work but pushing it size wise. But realistically, what do you think my best option is around the $600cdn range? Witha preference to what is available on Canadian Costco since warranty worked with ease. =)
Your Costco choices within budget are two LG TVs (UN7300), 43", 49". Dimensions are available in Specifications.

Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ideal would be what Costco doesn't currently carry. Sony X950H 49", currently around $1000 with no discount. Maybe wait for a discount?

If you need something now, perhaps Samsung Q60T 50" (also not at Costco), currently around $500 with a $150 discount.

AFAIK Samsung doesn't have HBO built-in.

Good luck.
Thanks ! What do you think of Samsung Q8DT ? At this time it's bit out of my range by black friday might change things up. I want to make sure the TV will be bright enough for day time viewing. If situation changes and TV is moved to a bedroom I want to have good HDR viewing option and not buy another TV. So I might be bit flexible on budget if a hundred bucks or two give me better options.

·
Registered
16,106 Posts
I'd say anyone looking for a new TV has to keep in mind how TV's have evolved since plasma .. reviews are based on the now .. TV's made just a few years ago or less, would likely not fare well in todays review market ..

Value vs Bang for the Buck, my research indicates TCL leads the pack with it's 2020 offerings in QLED .. plus, to me, the ROKU system built in is a real bonus to me .. if I were to buy a TV without ROKU, I'd have to buy a ROKU Premiere+ add-on, since I don't like most all the other built in interfaces .. and, nothing I know of comes with Apple TV 4K ..

Point is, everything is a trade off .. all you can hope for is the closest thing that you think meets your needs .. and a solid return policy ..

·
Registered
554 Posts
The 55" Hisense H9G is bright, has very good anti-reflective performance, but is $650. The lower H8G is $500, has better brightness than most and has decent the anti-reflective performance. The 2019 Vizio M Quantum is also around $500, is not quite as bright and has decent anti-reflective performance. Low end TCLs are a bit on the dim side with poor anti-reflective coatings. So if you can't go for $650, look at the $500 55" Hisense H8G and Vizio M Quantum.
Thank you! I will check out the Hisense...was hoping for 65" but don't mind coming down a bit in size.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Thanks ! What do you think of Samsung Q8DT ? At this time it's bit out of my range by black friday might change things up. I want to make sure the TV will be bright enough for day time viewing. If situation changes and TV is moved to a bedroom I want to have good HDR viewing option and not buy another TV. So I might be bit flexible on budget if a hundred bucks or two give me better options.
AKA Samsung Q80T, good choice, 50" is currently around $1000. Sony X950H 49" better choice IMO, currently around $1000. Stay alert for price improvement on both.

Good luck.

Reactions: AJ82

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Value vs Bang for the Buck, my research indicates TCL leads the pack with it's 2020 offerings in QLED .. plus, to me, the ROKU system built in is a real bonus to me .. if I were to buy a TV without ROKU, I'd have to buy a ROKU Premiere+ add-on, since I don't like most all the other built in interfaces .. and, nothing I know of comes with Apple TV 4K ..
I've had my X900H for about 3 weeks and I absolutely love the Android TV interface so much more than the Roku. I now can access HBO MAX is another plus.

16441 - 16460 of 16504 Posts