AVS Forum banner

16461 - 16480 of 16504 Posts

·
Registered
16,106 Posts
I've had my X900H for about 3 weeks and I absolutely love the Android TV interface so much more than the Roku. I now can access HBO MAX is another plus.
That's what makes the World go 'round .. I have 3 sets and a projector all with ROKU outboard .. no interest in using anything else .. the loss of HBO GO was a drag, but I'm betting it HBO will be back .. in the meantime, I have HBO On Demand with Spectrum for an extra $5.00 a month .. accessed thru the ROKU's ..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi All - I posted a few days ago, but need to update my question. I'm replacing a Samsung 60" TV (UN60H6300). It's a mixed use / family room TV in a large room with lots of windows, so fairly bright. Watching mostly cable channels, some sports, occasional movie, but we have a separate media room for serious "movie watching".

I don't have a fixed budget, but I think I can get a suitable 65" replacement for under $1,000. I've been buying Samsung for a while and old habits die hard, but I appreciate any suggestions. On the list now are: Samsung RU9000 or Samsung Q6DT and I've read a lot of positive reviews on the Sony x900h (X90CH at Costco). I haven't had a Sony since my Wega 40" tube that weighed 250 lbs. :D

Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm having analysis paralysis.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Hi All - I posted a few days ago, but need to update my question. I'm replacing a Samsung 60" TV (UN60H6300). It's a mixed use / family room TV in a large room with lots of windows, so fairly bright. Watching mostly cable channels, some sports, occasional movie, but we have a separate media room for serious "movie watching".

I don't have a fixed budget, but I think I can get a suitable 65" replacement for under $1,000. I've been buying Samsung for a while and old habits die hard, but I appreciate any suggestions. On the list now are: Samsung RU9000 or Samsung Q6DT and I've read a lot of positive reviews on the Sony x900h (X90CH at Costco). I haven't had a Sony since my Wega 40" tube that weighed 250 lbs. :D

Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm having analysis paralysis.
Sony is the best you can do for $1,000. Got mine 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Hello. I'm looking over the Vizio P-series Quantum X 85" vs. the LG CX 77". These two TVs couldn't be any different.

The room is approximately 10'x25' open floorplan. There's a large window on the front wall, smaller on the left side, and large on the rear walls, plus the open floorplan to the windowed kitchen on the right rear side, and my current/ancient TV has major reflection issues.

I loved my 100" projection screen but I don't want to install it in this living room. Bigger is definitely better and I'm leaning toward the Vizio, provided it's available for Black Friday or shortly after. MLP is approximately 7'-8' from the screen.

I use my TV as my computer monitor often. I could change that and use it just for streaming playback on my computer off my file server to avoid burn-in, if the OLED is justified by the performance.

I'm really torn between having the best possible picture quality with wide viewing angle and infinite blacks versus having the brightest TV for HDR with a larger more immersive screen and excellent reflection rejection.

I'm not a gamer and I don't really care about upscaling. I'll do that in my receiver. I'm not really a critical viewer or listener. I don't need the best performance and the rest of my gear won't justify it anyway.

Help? The price is another factor. Lower is better.

Is OLED infinite black really that awesome? It always looks dark to me in the showroom but the wide viewing angle is amazing.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Hello. I'm looking over the Vizio P-series Quantum X 85" vs. the LG CX 77". These two TVs couldn't be any different.

The room is approximately 10'x25' open floorplan. There's a large window on the front wall, smaller on the left side, and large on the rear walls, plus the open floorplan to the windowed kitchen on the right rear side, and my current/ancient TV has major reflection issues.

I loved my 100" projection screen but I don't want to install it in this living room. Bigger is definitely better and I'm leaning toward the Vizio, provided it's available for Black Friday or shortly after. MLP is approximately 7'-8' from the screen.

I use my TV as my computer monitor often. I could change that and use it just for streaming playback on my computer off my file server to avoid burn-in, if the OLED is justified by the performance.

I'm really torn between having the best possible picture quality with wide viewing angle and infinite blacks versus having the brightest TV for HDR with a larger more immersive screen and excellent reflection rejection.

I'm not a gamer and I don't really care about upscaling. I'll do that in my receiver. I'm not really a critical viewer or listener. I don't need the best performance and the rest of my gear won't justify it anyway.

Help? The price is another factor. Lower is better.

Is OLED infinite black really that awesome? It always looks dark to me in the showroom but the wide viewing angle is amazing.
The Vizio P-series Quantum X 85" has VA panel with an exceptionally narrow viewing angle. It has 2,000+ nit peak brightness with good reflection handling though. It is a poor choice if you value wide viewing angle performance and Vizios tend to have QC issues.

Large high-end TVs with wide viewing angles and exceptional anti reflection performance:

77" LG or Sony OLED - Infinite blacks, pixel-level dimming, 800 nit peak brightness, excellent reflection handling, widest viewing angles;
85" Samsung Q90T - Deep blacks, good FALD, 1,400 nit peak brightness, top rated reflection handling, excellent viewing angles;
85" Samsung Q80T - Deep blacks, decent FALD, 700 nit peak brightness, top rated reflection handling, excellent viewing angles;
85" Sony X950H - Decent blacks, good FALD, 1,200 nit peak brightness, excellent reflection handling, mediocre viewing angles.

So if you're thinking OLEDs aren't big and/or bright enough, look at the Samsung Q90T and Sony X950H.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looking to upgrade to an 85”. $2500 budget in a perfect world. 15 ft distance. Controllable lighting, preferably darker. Source from cable is ota antenna and streaming. We will use the TV for roughly 80% sports and 20% movies.

Looking at Sony x900h and the unreleased Vizio P Series Quantum X. If Black Friday pushes down the cost of the x950h or Samsung Q80T I would include those as well.

My concern is picture quality from antenna and streaming sports, not so much movies. Currently have a 65” Sony x900f and a 55” Samsung KS8500.

Thank you for your suggestions.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Looking to upgrade to an 85”. $2500 budget in a perfect world. 15 ft distance. Controllable lighting, preferably darker. Source from cable is ota antenna and streaming. We will use the TV for roughly 80% sports and 20% movies.

Looking at Sony x900h and the unreleased Vizio P Series Quantum X. If Black Friday pushes down the cost of the x950h or Samsung Q80T I would include those as well.

My concern is picture quality from antenna and streaming sports, not so much movies. Currently have a 65” Sony x900f and a 55” Samsung KS8500.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Rtings rates the Samsung Q80T and Sony X950H as the two best LCDs for sports. Go see them and pick the one you like. The Q80T has better off angle viewing while the X950H is brighter. Both are good at handling reflections, but the Q80T is the best for reflection handling.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I need a large TV(thinking 75" or so) for a basement rec room. Based on where the TV will be hung wide viewing angles are a must. This is going to just be a general use TV, I do not need extreme movie performance or super low input lag, I will have dedicated home theater hopefully next year.

The 77" OLEDS are out of my price range for what will be a secondary TV. I am leaning towards the Sony H800 75". I have no issue waiting till black friday or cyber monday for a good deal.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I need a large TV(thinking 75" or so) for a basement rec room. Based on where the TV will be hung wide viewing angles are a must. This is going to just be a general use TV, I do not need extreme movie performance or super low input lag, I will have dedicated home theater hopefully next year.

The 77" OLEDS are out of my price range for what will be a secondary TV. I am leaning towards the Sony H800 75". I have no issue waiting till black friday or cyber monday for a good deal.
The X800H is an IPS panel and so isn't a good choice for a basement due to the grayish blacks. It also lacks any type of local dimming. On the positive side, black uniformity is very good for an IPS panel. Also, if you'll using the built in sound, it isn't very good with distortion at higher volumes. But it is probably the best IPS panel in your budget range for use a general purpose TV. Just be aware of it's inherent deficiencies.

But if $1,500 is your budget, you'll be stuck with an IPS panel to get good viewing angles. The Samsung Q80T is a VA panel with IPS-like viewing angles but is roughly $1K over your budget at this time. It also has good FALD which is lacking in the X800H, and the sound is OK. Unfortunately, the LG IPS panels with local dimming (NANO85, NANO90) have very bad black uniformity which make them very poor choices for a basement.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
The Vizio P-series Quantum X 85" has VA panel with an exceptionally narrow viewing angle. It has 2,000+ nit peak brightness with good reflection handling though. It is a poor choice if you value wide viewing angle performance and Vizios tend to have QC issues.

Large high-end TVs with wide viewing angles and exceptional anti reflection performance:

77" LG or Sony OLED - Infinite blacks, pixel-level dimming, 800 nit peak brightness, excellent reflection handling, widest viewing angles;
85" Samsung Q90T - Deep blacks, good FALD, 1,400 nit peak brightness, top rated reflection handling, excellent viewing angles;
85" Samsung Q80T - Deep blacks, decent FALD, 700 nit peak brightness, top rated reflection handling, excellent viewing angles;
85" Sony X950H - Decent blacks, good FALD, 1,200 nit peak brightness, excellent reflection handling, mediocre viewing angles.

So if you're thinking OLEDs aren't big and/or bright enough, look at the Samsung Q90T and Sony X950H.
Thanks so much for the valuable insight. I think you've sold me...almost?

OK I'm looking at the Q90T but I'm thinking, does it support Dolby Vision? If I'm giving up the infinite blacks in exchange for pop I definitely want the best and brightest HDR I can get. Is it supported? How important is it? Other alternatives?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Thanks so much for the valuable insight. I think you've sold me...almost?

OK I'm looking at the Q90T but I'm thinking, does it support Dolby Vision? If I'm giving up the infinite blacks in exchange for pop I definitely want the best and brightest HDR I can get. Is it supported? How important is it? Other alternatives?
No Dolby Vision from Samsung. If that is a must have for you, then get the Sony X950H. It's certainly bright enough and Sony's X-Wide angle layer provides better viewing angles than a standard VA panel like that Vizio, just not as good as the Q90T or an OLED.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good morning! I hope everyone is in good health. My Samsung 55JS8500 curve passed away this weekend and my budget to buy a new TV is around 1700€. I give a lot of value to PQ and here at home we play PS4 (PS5 on the way) and Nintendo Switch, but we are not professional players :) then we see Netflix, Amazon, Disney plus, etc... My initial choice was a 65 "OLED but the price is very high, so my choices fall in the Sony 65XH9505 or 65XH9096 or Samsung 65Q80T. For the image quality I chose the XH9505, but the HDMI 2.1 issue, especially the VRR is give up my head… do you think it's worth dispensing hdmi 2.1 and VRR? i will not regret in the future for that? Thanks to all

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Good morning! I hope everyone is in good health. My Samsung 55JS8500 curve passed away this weekend and my budget to buy a new TV is around 1700€. I give a lot of value to PQ and here at home we play PS4 (PS5 on the way) and Nintendo Switch, but we are not professional players :) then we see Netflix, Amazon, Disney plus, etc... My initial choice was a 65 "OLED but the price is very high, so my choices fall in the Sony 65XH9505 or 65XH9096 or Samsung 65Q80T. For the image quality I chose the XH9505, but the HDMI 2.1 issue, especially the VRR is give up my head… do you think it's worth dispensing hdmi 2.1 and VRR? i will not regret in the future for that? Thanks to all
Since you're a PQ guy, pick either the Sony 65XH9505 or Samsung 65Q80T. The Sony is brighter, while the Samsung has deeper blacks, wider viewing angles and HDMI 2.1 and VRR for gaming. Both have excellent anti-reflective performance but the Samsung does a bit better. And, of course, DV on Sony but not on Samsung.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Since you're a PQ guy, pick either the Sony 65XH9505 or Samsung 65Q80T. The Sony is brighter, while the Samsung has deeper blacks, wider viewing angles and HDMI 2.1 and VRR for gaming. Both have excellent anti-reflective performance but the Samsung does a bit better. And, of course, DV on Sony but not on Samsung.
Thank you for your help. As I understand it, HDMI 2.1 is completely out of the question in the XH9505 (hardware limitations) and in relation to VRR? Maybe i'm doing futurology, don't you think it will be possible by firmware update? Not having 4K @ 120 honestly doesn't bother me much, as a normal player, 4K @ 60 is enough :)
Maybe I'm very focused on having a "Sony", but I'll look at Samsungs with different eyes :)

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Thank you for your help. As I understand it, HDMI 2.1 is completely out of the question in the XH9505 (hardware limitations) and in relation to VRR? Maybe i'm doing futurology, don't you think it will be possible by firmware update? Not having 4K @ 120 honestly doesn't bother me much, as a normal player, 4K @ 60 is enough :)
Maybe I'm very focused on having a "Sony", but I'll look at Samsungs with different eyes :)
If you want the Sony 65XH9505 then get it, just don't expect them to add VRR. But VRR isn't very useful when limited to 4K @ 60 Hz anyway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I need a 40-50" TV for my room. I'll pay for the best picture quality. needs to be smart and...hopefully...have airplay compatibility. thoughts?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I need a 40-50" TV for my room. I'll pay for the best picture quality. needs to be smart and...hopefully...have airplay compatibility. thoughts?
The 48" LG CX OLED would be the best PQ. For top PQ LCDs under 50", look at the 49" Sony X950H and 49" Samsung Q80T. Things to note about these LCDs are: Sony X950H - unlike the rest of the X950H line, the 49" does not have the X-wide angle layer, so narrower viewing angle but deeper blacks; Samsung Q80T - the 49" is a 60 Hz panel vs. 120 Hz for the rest of the line so no HDMI 2.1 or VRR for gaming. These LG, Samsung and Sony TVs support Apple AirPlay 2 streaming.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looking for a 65" to replace a 46" 2009 Samsung.

Use would be 70% Directv or Spectrum Cable / 10% Netflix / 10% Gaming / 10% Youtube/Internet

Definitely want to keep it under $1,000....trying to have a few different models picked out and hope one of them gets discounted for black friday time next month.

I was looking at the Hisense H9G but I'm told satellite/cable isn't a worthy source for that TV and what it can do.

Thanks in advance guys.

16461 - 16480 of 16504 Posts