AVS Forum banner

16481 - 16500 of 16793 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
The 48" LG CX OLED would be the best PQ. For top PQ LCDs under 50", look at the 49" Sony X950H and 49" Samsung Q80T. Things to note about these LCDs are: Sony X950H - unlike the rest of the X950H line, the 49" does not have the X-wide angle layer, so narrower viewing angle but deeper blacks; Samsung Q80T - the 49" is a 60 Hz panel vs. 120 Hz for the rest of the line so no HDMI 2.1 or VRR for gaming. These LG, Samsung and Sony TVs support Apple AirPlay 2 streaming.
thanks. what if I'm trying to stay around 43"?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looking for a good 65" in the ~$1000 range and while I see plenty of discussion about the Sony X900H, I don't see many real world comparisons between it and the Vizio P65Q9-H1. Rtings.com shows them basically tied overall in specs and benchmarking. I'm mostly interested in something that performs well for HDR content and has a decent smart-features interface. Anyone have the Vizio P-Series Q9 that can speak to it?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I was looking at the Hisense H9G but I'm told satellite/cable isn't a worthy source for that TV and what it can do.
Satellite/cable isn't a worthy source for any 4K TV, but virtually all TVs being sold are 4K. I don't know what that is supposed to mean. All 4K TVs have to upscale this type of content and only Vizio seems to have an issue doing this.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Satellite/cable isn't a worthy source for any 4K TV, but virtually all TVs being sold are 4K. I don't know what that is supposed to mean. All 4K TVs have to upscale this type of content and only Vizio seems to have an issue doing this.
I think he means that the TV isn't considered good at upscaling cable/satellite delivered signals. The difference between my Sony 900e and Hisense H9G is considerable with the older 900e being much better at upscaling the output from my Dish Hopper. They are about equal when upscaling OTA 1080i content but OTA 720p content does not look good on the H9G.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Looking for a 65" to replace a 46" 2009 Samsung.

Use would be 70% Directv or Spectrum Cable / 10% Netflix / 10% Gaming / 10% Youtube/Internet

Definitely want to keep it under $1,000....trying to have a few different models picked out and hope one of them gets discounted for black friday time next month.

I was looking at the Hisense H9G but I'm told satellite/cable isn't a worthy source for that TV and what it can do.

Thanks in advance guys.
I'd avoid Hisense, TCL, and Vizio because of the bulk of your viewing.

Sony X900H 65", currently just under $1000 is good consideration. Keep an eye out for, but I don't see Samsung Q80T 65", or Sony X950H 65" getting that low. They're currently around $1700 and $1500 respectively.

Can't speak for satellite, but I'm very happy with my cable TV PQ. Often its dedicated movie channels can be as good or better than Netflix or Amazon Prime. YMMV.

Although better than nothing for supplementing, I think the streaming big boys are overrated re PQ. Hard disc still remains the way to go for serious movie watching.

Anyway, good luck with your TV selection. :)

Reactions: Pacinko

·
Registered
16,190 Posts
I'd avoid Hisense, TCL, and Vizio because of the bulk of your viewing.
There are models by these makers that have great upscaling, according to rtings ..

An example would be the Hisense 65H8G for around $800 ..

Do you ever recommend anything but Sony or Samsung .. ??

Reactions: Pacinko

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
There are models by these makers that have great upscaling, according to rtings ..

An example would be the Hisense 65H8G for around $800 ..

Do you ever recommend anything but Sony or Samsung .. ??
$200 difference, H8G vs Sony X900H? No thanks.

Re recommendations, of course, if someone has a strict budget/shortlist.

Cheers.:)

Reactions: leggy and Pacinko

·
Registered
112 Posts
Help me out on this one, best buy has both the Samsung Q80T and Q90T in the 75" model being sold for $2599 they say these prices are $200 off the 80 and a whopping $1200 off the 90. Is there a reason these two classes of TV are at the same price?

Should I expect further discounts on the Q80T as we get closer to BF/CM? Obviously I am not expecting another $1000 off but a couple hundred seems possible.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Help me out on this one, best buy has both the Samsung Q80T and Q90T in the 75" model being sold for $2599 they say these prices are $200 off the 80 and a whopping $1200 off the 90. Is there a reason these two classes of TV are at the same price?

Should I expect further discounts on the Q80T as we get closer to BF/CM? Obviously I am not expecting another $1000 off but a couple hundred seems possible.
Get the Samsung Q90T before they up the price! The 75" Sony X950H is being discounted heavily also.

And yes, you can expect the Q80T to be further discounted. But as for the Q90T and X950H, they likely won't go much lower.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey guys,

I am looking for a mid or entry/mid 75 inch TV with the max budget of 1500. The seating distance is about 8 to 15+ft. The tv will be used as a general purpose tv in a well lit room with the occasional night time movie watching or game playing.

I have a few in mind that I have looked at. LG UN8500, Samsung TU8000, Samsung Q60T and the Sony x800h.

·
Registered
16,190 Posts
Hey guys,

I am looking for a mid or entry/mid 75 inch TV with the max budget of 1500. The seating distance is about 8 to 15+ft. The tv will be used as a general purpose tv in a well lit room with the occasional night time movie watching or game playing.

I have a few in mind that I have looked at. LG UN8500, Samsung TU8000, Samsung Q60T and the Sony x800h.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting.... looks promising. I am slightly worried for screen uniformity issues. I really don’t feel like playing the panel lottery.

·
Registered
16,190 Posts
Reactions: beerhunt

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
IPS Panels - The LG UN8500 and Sony X800H are IPS panels with wide viewing angles and grayish blacks. Neither has any local dimming. The Sony X800H is the better of the two.

VA Panels - The Samsung TU8000 and Q60T are VA panels with limited viewing angles but deep blacks. Neither has local dimming but the Q60T is the better of the two, brighter and better color gamut. If you want a 75" with local dimming (FALD) at your budget, you'd have to look at TCL.

·
Registered
16,190 Posts
Interesting.... looks promising. I am slightly worried for screen uniformity issues. I really don’t feel like playing the panel lottery.
I'll add, if you are buying in person, there is nothing inherently wrong with asking the TV you want be unboxed and hooked up to a source prior to making a buying commitment .. while this may not fly at Walmart, or the club stores, Best Buy / other more specialized shops will generally do it .. they don't like it, but it beats hauling one of these things back ..

I'm fortunate within the St Louis area to have a few independent shops that, although they charge slightly more, will let you demo a set fresh out of the box and buy that set if it passes your inspection .. and, they will deliver it ..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I'm thinking about buying TCL 50EP680 or TCL 50P615, but I'm a newbie when it comes to choosing the best one. I think EP68 is more "premium" (considering the price range, of course), but it's also older, that's why it's in similar price here in Poland compared to P61. P61 is newer, but I don't think that exactly means better specifications. Dolby Vision support in EP68 seems like a big advantage, but I would like someone to confirm that.

Thanks in advance,
wyjek

·
Registered
568 Posts
H9F vs. H9G for outdoor covered patio set? They are about $100 difference in price and based on rratings.com the reflection handling of H9F is only SLIGHTLY less than the H9G. Again, this will be for a patio.....the BIG separating factor is that I can get the H9Fat walmart with their product protection plan and their NO QUESTIONS ASKED RETURN POLICY. The H9G is only available from higher end stores.....that obviously don't have the no questions asked return policy

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Hello, I'm thinking about buying TCL 50EP680 or TCL 50P615, but I'm a newbie when it comes to choosing the best one. I think EP68 is more "premium" (considering the price range, of course), but it's also older, that's why it's in similar price here in Poland compared to P61. P61 is newer, but I don't think that exactly means better specifications. Dolby Vision support in EP68 seems like a big advantage, but I would like someone to confirm that.

Thanks in advance,
wyjek
I suggest TCL 50EP680/EP68 for Dolby Vision, Direct backlighting, and it's a little brighter.

Also FWIW, Innolux is the panel maker for TCL 50EP680. HKC is the panel maker for TCL 50P615. HKC is being sued by Innolux for patent infringement. See related link below.

Related:

Good luck, have fun, stay safe.

16481 - 16500 of 16793 Posts