AVS Forum banner

16501 - 16520 of 16793 Posts

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
H9F vs. H9G for outdoor covered patio set? They are about $100 difference in price and based on rratings.com the reflection handling of H9F is only SLIGHTLY less than the H9G. Again, this will be for a patio.....the BIG separating factor is that I can get the H9Fat walmart with their product protection plan and their NO QUESTIONS ASKED RETURN POLICY. The H9G is only available from higher end stores.....that obviously don't have the no questions asked return policy
I'd go with the better return policy.

Good luck, have fun, stay safe.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Is there anything decent available in 70" these days? I have an old 65" Sony 1080p TV right now that I'm looking to replace with 4K. I don't mind staying with 65", but I have enough room in my cabinet for 70" and our viewing distance is pretty far back (9 or 10 feet), so I'd like to go a bit bigger if possible. 75" just won't fit though. Viewing is mostly for movies and TV watching, some low-res gaming (Nintendo Switch). Any recommendations for ~$1500?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Is there anything decent available in 70" these days? I have an old 65" Sony 1080p TV right now that I'm looking to replace with 4K. I don't mind staying with 65", but I have enough room in my cabinet for 70" and our viewing distance is pretty far back (9 or 10 feet), so I'd like to go a bit bigger if possible. 75" just won't fit though. Viewing is mostly for movies and TV watching, some low-res gaming (Nintendo Switch). Any recommendations for ~$1500?
These days, 70" TVs are largely budget Samsung and LG.

Your best 70" bet may be Samsung TU7000, under $800.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
These days, 70" TVs are largely budget Samsung and LG.

Your best 70" bet may be Samsung TU7000, under $800.
There are several LG 70" models, and unlike most LG TVs, they are all VA panels like the Samsung UN70TU7000. Some of the models you may find are 70UM6970, 70UM7370, 70UN6950, 70UN7070, 70UN7370. Some other Samsungs you might find are the UN70UN6900 and UN70TU6980. Other 70" models are the Hisense 70H6570G and Vizio V705-H13. All of these 70" TVs are basic 4K TVs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all, need some help pulling the trigger on our new family room TV.

It is a good sized family room (18 ft x 16 ft) connected to the kitchen in open layout. Large glass windows all along the rear of the seating area with a waterfront view, none of which have blinds so tons of natural light. Additionally challenged by a small skylight and upper window just above and to the right of the TV.

Due to the horrid natural light situation, I ruled out OLED. Looking for the best 65" LCD to use in this nightmare brightness! Also need wide viewing angles due to viewing through the kitchen. I was planning to pair an LG 65NANO90 with an nVidia Shield Pro but the reviews are really negative on the local dimming and black levels of the 2020 LGs. Another option would be the Samsung 2020 QLED but has no Dolby Vision. Oddly neither seem to have G-Sync support?

Primary usage is TV and movie viewing with some less frequent PC gaming.

Thanks for the help deciding!

·
Registered
3,211 Posts

It is a good sized family room (18 ft x 16 ft) connected to the kitchen in open layout. Large glass windows all along the rear of the seating area with a waterfront view, none of which have blinds so tons of natural light. Additionally challenged by a small skylight and upper window just above and to the right of the TV.

Due to the horrid natural light situation, I ruled out OLED. Looking for the best 65" LCD to use in this nightmare brightness! Also need wide viewing angles due to viewing through the kitchen. I was planning to pair an LG 65NANO90 with an nVidia Shield Pro but the reviews are really negative on the local dimming and black levels of the 2020 LGs. Another option would be the Samsung 2020 QLED but has no Dolby Vision. Oddly neither seem to have G-Sync support?

With your main needs being a bright TV, wide viewing angles, top anti-reflective performance, and VRR and HDMI 2.1 for gaming, the Samsung Q90T is the best fit. Unless Dolby Vision is a must for you. The Sony X950H supports DV but has has mediocre viewing angles and no VRR/HDMI 2.1 support, but is very bright with good anti-reflective performance.

·
Registered
16,190 Posts

What are you currently using and is it adequate .. ??

·
Registered
38 Posts

Maybe go 75" and get the Z8H? Just trying to help... :)

Reactions: beerhunt

·
Registered
15 Posts
With your main needs being a bright TV, wide viewing angles, top anti-reflective performance, and VRR and HDMI 2.1 for gaming, the Samsung Q90T is the best fit. Unless Dolby Vision is a must for you. The Sony X950H supports DV but has has mediocre viewing angles and no VRR/HDMI 2.1 support, but is very bright with good anti-reflective performance.
Curious the thoughts of you all on HDR+ vs. Dolby Vision. Dolby Vision seems to have the device support whereas no one seems to support HDR+ except for Samsung. Content wise they both seem quite anemic right now. Who will win? Dunno, feels a bit like betamax vs. VHS at this point hah! 🤷‍♂️

What are you currently using and is it adequate .. ??
This is a new house so there is no TV yet. Hence why I am eager to pull the trigger as the family is bugging me about it.

We do have an LG OLED55CXPUA in the ADU, another LG OLED55CXPUA in the master bedroom and an older Sony in the guest room. Just nothing on the main floor. Honestly those LG OLED55CXPUAs are incredible and I wish I could just get an LG OLED but I think the brightness of the family room/kitchen area just makes that infeasible. The reflections would likely be terrible as well.

Maybe go 75" and get the Z8H? Just trying to help... :)
So we heavily debated 75" vs 65" and went with the latter. 75" technically would likely fit but aesthetically would look rather off (really wide) and the side angles would potentially get clipped by shelving from some viewing positions.

Also, I'm not keen to buy an 8K display as there is no 8K content. Once 8K content hits critical mass then I'll upgrade to the latest tech w/ 8K.

Thanks again for all the helps and opinions folks!

·
Registered
16,190 Posts
This is a new house so there is no TV yet. Hence why I am eager to pull the trigger as the family is bugging me about it.
Well, if brightness is the main criteria, the Vizio P Series Quantum X 2020 is rtings.com one of the brightest ..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, if brightness is the main criteria, the Vizio P Series Quantum X 2020 is rtings.com one of the brightest ..
I had read the review over at RTings on the Vizio P65QX-H1 but had ruled it out because they reported issues with viewing angles and handling 4k @120 Hz 4:4:4 for PC-output gaming. Honestly all these 2020 models seem to be having trouble with PC-output though, seems like rather a mess!

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Curious the thoughts of you all on HDR+ vs. Dolby Vision. Dolby Vision seems to have the device support whereas no one seems to support HDR+ except for Samsung. Content wise they both seem quite anemic right now. Who will win? Dunno, feels a bit like betamax vs. VHS at this point hah! 🤷‍♂️
Well everything is available in regular HDR10 so no worries about missing anything. Samsung's HDR10+ will never amount to anything. Personally I don't find DV compelling as regular HDR10 looks great to me but others disagree. Right now the 85" Samsung Q90T is on sale for $3,500, which is 33% off, and a great deal. The Vizio recommended by another poster is very bright but has one of the narrowest viewing angles of any TV you can get. So avoid that one if you want any wide angle viewing.

·
Registered
16,190 Posts
I had read the review over at RTings on the Vizio P65QX-H1 but had ruled it out because they reported issues with viewing angles and handling 4k @120 Hz 4:4:4 for PC-output gaming. Honestly all these 2020 models seem to be having trouble with PC-output though, seems like rather a mess!
The truth is, about every TV there is maintains some sort of trade off .. I guess at the high end of things, maybe there is a perfect TV for all needs / wants ..

·
Registered
5,408 Posts

I agree with some of the aforementioned, that your 65" candidates are Sony X950H, Samsung Q80T, Q90T.

Re rtings test scores for viewing angles, respectively. 6.3, 7.1, 7.3. Not a whole lotta difference.

Re PQ, the shorter list is Sony X950H and Samsung Q90T. Current prices are around $1500 and $1900 respectively. The Q90T is already heavily discounted, so there might not be much more wiggle room. Whereas, there could be for the X950H, which is currently only discounted $100.

Because of Dolby Vision, Ultimate Processor, Screen Uniformity, current price, I'd go with X950H.

Good luck, have fun, stay safe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Q90T. I'll worry about the lack of Dolby Vision once there is enough content using DV to really care. Maybe at that point it will be time for an 8K upgrade 😁. For now, the Q90T seems like the right mix of features and solid handling for the brightness of our family room/kitchen.

Now if my low voltage contractor could hurry up and get the rest of my work done, I could get my new audio setup ordered to compliment the Q90T!!

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I agree with some of the aforementioned, that your 65" candidates are Sony X950H, Samsung Q80T, Q90T.
A 65" is way too small for an 18 ft. x 16 ft. room connected to the kitchen in open layout. Even 85" is small especially for occasional watching from that attached kitchen. I'm sitting less than 8 ft. from my 65".

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey everyone. Looking for recommendations on a new TV. Just finished out basement and have everything set up for a 5.1.4 setup. Currently have a 65in Vizio TV but want to go bigger. The viewing distance is about 15 ft. I think I want to get an 85in tv. Mostly for movies and of course my Packers. We have a really long couch that can seat about 10 people so I want everyone to be able to see the TV. What do you all recommend? There are so many options out there and I am just confused. QLED, OLED, LED, Series 7, 8 9. Samsung or Vizio.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Hey everyone. Looking for recommendations on a new TV. Just finished out basement and have everything set up for a 5.1.4 setup. Currently have a 65in Vizio TV but want to go bigger. The viewing distance is about 15 ft. I think I want to get an 85in tv. Mostly for movies and of course my Packers. We have a really long couch that can seat about 10 people so I want everyone to be able to see the TV. What do you all recommend? There are so many options out there and I am just confused. QLED, OLED, LED, Series 7, 8 9. Samsung or Vizio.
The biggest OLED is 77", so too small. Right now the 85" Samsung Q90T is only $3,500, has IPS panel viewing angles (actually better than the LG NANO90), and very bright with high contrast ratio with local dimming. Vizios have very narrow viewing angles.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The biggest OLED is 77", so too small. Right now the 85" Samsung Q90T is only $3,500, has IPS panel viewing angles (actually better than the LG NANO90), and very bright with high contrast ratio with local dimming. Vizios have very narrow viewing angles.
When you say narrow.....I have a Vizio now but only a 65 and it seems ok. I am not really looking for the high end tvs. Don't think the wife will allow it but maybe. What are your thoughts on some of the other Q80 or Q70? or even the Series 8 Samsungs?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
When you say narrow.....I have a Vizio now but only a 65 and it seems ok. I am not really looking for the high end tvs. Don't think the wife will allow it but maybe. What are your thoughts on some of the other Q80 or Q70? or even the Series 8 Samsungs?
If you're sitting directly in front of your Vizio there is no problem. I have narrow viewing angle VA panel TVs where I have no need for a wide viewing angle. T

he Q70T is not an FALD TV and has a typically narrow VA panel viewing angle. The Q80T is a lower end FALD TV that has the wide viewing angle of the Q90T but right now costs the same as the Q90T so isn't a good value. Series 8 Samsungs are all narrow viewing angle budget VA panels without any local dimming.

16501 - 16520 of 16793 Posts