AVS Forum banner

16541 - 16560 of 17053 Posts

·
Registered
16,402 Posts
Need some help deciding on a tv upgrade for my basement. Here are the particulars

room size: big open finished basement. Sectional couch with primary seats 10-12 ft away, behind sectional is open space for foosball and bar. There are windows along back wall but don’t let much light in

Budget - $2000-$2500

This room is mainly used for movie night or sporting events. Currently we have a Sony 65-xbr800b. It doesn’t have hdr and has ALOT of clouding and bad for sports. Really hard to see the football being thrown. It’s time to upgrade. I’m decently snobby when it comes to quality and came from only having Panasonic plasma TVs until my recent one blew up and I bought this Sony as a temporary which turned into 5 years. Anyway, new tv needs to be significantly better.

I’m debating due to the space. Stick with 65 in or go bigger, 75 or 85. I’ve attached current setup and one with the fake avr pic from Best Buy. My wife thinks the 85 will look ridiculous due to the built in wall that was built for 65in. However, due to the size of the room I think it needs to be 85in but I will admit the wall will look a bit funky. It would potentially block the avr, center channel and cable box/Apple TV above or it would block the electric fireplace below. Thought I’d see what others would think. By the way, really don’t want to go crazy and redo wall at this point so maybe I’m stuck with 65 due to aesthetics.

I’m leaning towards snagging the Sony 900h if I go 85in but I have no clue what to do if I stay at 65. Initially thinking LG CX but have been turned off by recent reviews of black crushing. We watch quite a few movies where that could be an issue. I want HDR, prefer 2.1 hdmi for future proofing and needs to be great for sports.

So, my questions to you all are what size should I go with and what TV should I go with based on your size recommendations.

View attachment 3051425

View attachment 3051426
I had a similar scenario a few years back, went with a projector and a pull-down screen, leaving the old TV in place .. you can't beat sports or movies at 140" ..

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well everything is available in regular HDR10 so no worries about missing anything. Samsung's HDR10+ will never amount to anything. Personally I don't find DV compelling as regular HDR10 looks great to me but others disagree. Right now the 85" Samsung Q90T is on sale for $3,500, which is 33% off, and a great deal. The Vizio recommended by another poster is very bright but has one of the narrowest viewing angles of any TV you can get. So avoid that one if you want any wide angle viewing.
What happens when watching Dolby Vision on the Samsung 90T? Does it show as HDR? On my LG E7 OLED, DV looks better than HDR. But, now that my E7 has an image burnt in, I am looking for another TV without OLED. No more OLEDs for me.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
What happens when watching Dolby Vision on the Samsung 90T? Does it show as HDR? On my LG E7 OLED, DV looks better than HDR. But, now that my E7 has an image burnt in, I am looking for another TV without OLED. No more OLEDs for me.
You watch it in HDR10 not DV. Everything comes in HDR10.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I like the idea of that but I worry that picture quality won’t be anywhere near as good. 4K projectors are quite a bit higher than budget and then add in the screen and install to hang projector
I had a similar scenario a few years back, went with a projector and a pull-down screen, leaving the old TV in place .. you can't beat sports or movies at 140" ..

I like the idea of that but I worry that picture quality won’t be anywhere near as good. 4K projectors are quite a bit higher than budget and then add in the screen and install to hang projector

·
Registered
16,402 Posts
Pricing on true 4K units has come down, PQ in many cases, depends on how much light control you can get .. I'd stack my Optima against about anything out there, but I do have a dedicated Home Theater with full light control ..

I'm suggesting it might be worth investigating ..

·
Registered
67 Posts
So I noticed Best Buy has the Samsung Q80T 85" for $2999.00. The Q90 is $3499. What is the big difference between the two?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I’m an entry level budget sorta person that usually only has a feature need or two and that’s it. Looking for the entry point for a 55 inch 4K HDR that also supports HomeKit.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I’m an entry level budget sorta person that usually only has a feature need or two and that’s it. Looking for the entry point for a 55 inch 4K HDR that also supports HomeKit.
Vizio M55Q8-H1, MSRP $549.99.

Good luck.

Reactions: SnakeEyes

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
HomeKit is also coming to budget Roku TVs, such as the $450 TCL 55S535, later this year. Of the "big 3", LG and Sony support HomeKit while Samsung does not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Costco will have 85X900H for $2,000 on 11/20/2020 with 5-year Sony warranty and additional 2 years if paid with citi credit card.
Hi Iamian,

How would you know Costco will sell the Sony 85X900H for $2000 on 11/20/20? I am a Costco member but I could not find this information anywhere. I am looking for a 85" TV so this good is a very good deal for me.

Thank you,

Vu

·
Registered
108 Posts
Looking for a 65" to go in my 856sf insulated but unheated garage (Iowa for temp reference.) It will go on the back wall (shared by the house). The garage does not freeze except at floor level and only then for the first 5 feet or so, when it is below 0 F outside. Ideally would like to keep the budget under $1000 for the TV. If a sunbrite or outdoor TV is the way to go, well then I guess I will have to quit penny pinching, suck it up, and spend the money. Hoping standard TV will work. For reference I have life fitness cardio equipment in the garage with attached TV for about 4 years now that has been fine (although I do not use it if outside temps outside the house hit 10 or less).

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Looking for a 65" to go in my 856sf insulated but unheated garage (Iowa for temp reference.) It will go on the back wall (shared by the house). The garage does not freeze except at floor level and only then for the first 5 feet or so, when it is below 0 F outside. Ideally would like to keep the budget under $1000 for the TV. If a sunbrite or outdoor TV is the way to go, well then I guess I will have to quit penny pinching, suck it up, and spend the money. Hoping standard TV will work. For reference I have life fitness cardio equipment in the garage with attached TV for about 4 years now that has been fine (although I do not use it if outside temps outside the house hit 10 or less).
Samsung TU8000 65", around $700, maybe cheaper Black Friday.

Keep eyes peeled, Sony X900H 65" might get to $1000 for Black Friday.

Related:

Reactions: Jdgate

·
Registered
108 Posts
Samsung TU8000 65", around $700, maybe cheaper Black Friday.

Keep eyes peeled, Sony X900H 65" might get to $1000 for Black Friday.

Related:
Thank you, I was eying the TU800 and I have store coupon to take it down another 10%. So I might just go with it.

Reactions: Panson

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello. I currently have a Sony 65" X700F (VA) that I bought a year ago and kinda having buyer's remorse when I saw the feature set of HDMI 2.1 etc. Would it be worth it to go to something like an X900H or X950H?

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Hello. I currently have a Sony 65" X700F (VA) that I bought a year ago and kinda having buyer's remorse when I saw the feature set of HDMI 2.1 etc. Would it be worth it to go to something like an X900H or X950H?
If you mean Sony X900F 65", and it's performing well, I suggest sticking with it. X900F has the better Extreme Processor (discontinued) versus X-1 Processor for X900H

HDMI 2.1 firmware update has been buggy for Sony X900H. Maybe wait another year or two before revisiting this feature, when bugs are out and it's actually in the TV when you buy it. Maybe Sony will eventually put a better processor in it, too.

Sony X950H 55' to 85" has X-Wide Angle and their best Ultimate Processor. Color accuracy is excellent. No HDMI 2.1.

Good luck if/when you make a change.

16541 - 16560 of 17053 Posts