AVS Forum banner

16701 - 16720 of 17063 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking for a new 55” for the bedroom. Not trying to break the bank, so I’d like to keep it around $500 or less. TV will only be used for movies/Netflix and maybe Apple Airplay on occasion. Any suggestions? TIA

·
Registered
698 Posts
Looking for a new 55” for the bedroom. Not trying to break the bank, so I’d like to keep it around $500 or less. TV will only be used for movies/Netflix and maybe Apple Airplay on occasion. Any suggestions? TIA
TCL 55s535 Walmart is having a sale on them. I just bought the 50" version, and it's fantastic. Walmart also has cheap 3 year warranties you can purchase for them. Fed-Ex delivered it free to my door, and in perfect shape.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Folks, hoping I can get some advice on a good buy for me this Black Friday season:

1. Budget - Would prefer under $1000, but could spend up to $1300 or so if the extra money really took me that much further.
2. Seating distance - 10 ft.
3. Size/placement limitations - Minimum 75". Could also do 80"-82".
4. Uses and sources - Main living room set. Will be using it for some PC gaming so 120Hz is a must for me. Doesn't necessarily need to be HDMI 2.1, though. We watch a fair number of movies, too, so looking for a VA panel for good contrast.
5. Room lighting - fairly dim most of the time.

Best I've come up with so far is the Samsung 75" RU9000 for $980, and the LG 82" UN8750 for $1350, both at Costco. Any other 120Hz 75"+ sets I should be considering in this price range? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey there, it's finally time I upgrade my Samsung PN50A550S plasma TV (Yes, it's been a while). I don't think i can go bigger than 60", no budget, I tend to lean on quality and hold on for a long time.

This will be in the living room, watching day and night, lights on and off. Gaming also.
Any recommendations?

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hey there, it's finally time I upgrade my Samsung PN50A550S plasma TV (Yes, it's been a while). I don't think i can go bigger than 60", no budget, I tend to lean on quality and hold on for a long time.

This will be in the living room, watching day and night, lights on and off. Gaming also.
Any recommendations?
60" TVs are oddballs these days, all budget models. TVs have much narrower bezels these days, so a 65" LG CX OLED is only 57" wide so you might want to check and see if that will fit. If a 65" won't fit, then 55" is the size to look at for quality TVs. IMO OLED would be the best for a plasma user unless it's a very bright room during the day. Also you can't be watching CNN for hours on end or leave a game on for many hours a day. But you own a plasma so you should be aware of burn in. OLEDs are emissive and have wide viewing angles like your plasma.

If your room is very bright during the day, an LCD might make more sense. Since you're coming from a plasma you might take wide viewing angles for granted. High quality LCDs are all VA panels which, except for a few Samsung and Sony models, have very narrow viewing angles. So are wide viewing angles a priority?

·
Registered
57 Posts
60" TVs are oddballs these days, all budget models. TVs have much narrower bezels these days, so a 65" LG CX OLED is only 57" wide so you might want to check and see if that will fit. If a 65" won't fit, then 55" is the size to look at for quality TVs. IMO OLED would be the best for a plasma user unless it's a very bright room during the day. Also you can't be watching CNN for hours on end or leave a game on for many hours a day. But you own a plasma so you should be aware of burn in. OLEDs are emissive and have wide viewing angles like your plasma.

If your room is very bright during the day, an LCD might make more sense. Since you're coming from a plasma you might take wide viewing angles for granted. High quality LCDs are all VA panels which, except for a few Samsung and Sony models, have very narrow viewing angles. So are wide viewing angles a priority?
Thanks! Surprisingly my plasma held very well against burn-in. At first i used to run the built in cleaning tool (A black to white screen would go across to wash it), eventually I stopped using it but I do not have a burn in issue ... I may not be as lucky.

Viewing angle; i'd say my current layout has about 20-25 degrees maximum viewing angle.
Light situation: We have blackout curtains and tinted windows across from the current tv dramatically limiting the light reflecting.

I am looking for good colors and deep blacks. Viewing angle up to 30 degrees i guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, I'd love some input on a new TV I'd like to buy this Black Friday. I currently own a Samsung 55" LCD I bought from Costco five years back. At the time, I didn't care/know too much about TVs, so I just bought one on sale.

1. Budget: ~$1500 Could be more if there's an appreciable quality investment.
2. Size: 65"
3. Uses: A lot of movies, mainly Blu-rays and a number of DVDs across a wide range of movies, from sci-fi/CG/animated flicks to old musicals/Golden Age films; I also watch a lot of TV. I also have started gaming more--thanks COVID!--and am planning to get a PS5. The games I tend to play are mainly RPGs a la Final Fantasy, but I have become more and more interested in games like Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man…
4. Room: Dim to dark; small living room that doesn't get a ton of natural light on that side of the apartment.

I decided against OLEDs mainly because the difference in the blacks, while appreciated, didn't justify the price jump in my eyes. An AV friend of mine recommended the Sony 950H, citing its reliability and range of apps. I was able to look at it in a Best Buy today and liked it very much.

I had also been thinking about getting another Samsung because, for whatever reason, its picture quality has always dazzled my eyes. I've been looking at the Samsung QN65Q80TAFXZA online and when I saw the TV in person at Best Buy today, it just immediately arrested me. My friend said Samsung pictures are very pretty, but that in recent years, the actual TVs have tended to break down/have problems in a couple years whereas Sony TVs are more solid.

There's a part of me that thinks I should get the Samsung since it made such an impression on me. The reviews overall seem positive. But given the viewing/gaming habits I've developed since I bought my current TV, I'd appreciate more experienced owners/buyers to point out things I may be overlooking or not thinking of for the long-term. I've also heard good things about the Samsung Q90T, although that's obviously more expensive. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Thanks! Surprisingly my plasma held very well against burn-in. At first i used to run the built in cleaning tool (A black to white screen would go across to wash it), eventually I stopped using it but I do not have a burn in issue ... I may not be as lucky.

Viewing angle; i'd say my current layout has about 20-25 degrees maximum viewing angle.
Light situation: We have blackout curtains and tinted windows across from the current tv dramatically limiting the light reflecting.

I am looking for good colors and deep blacks. Viewing angle up to 30 degrees i guess.
IMO, you'll be fine with an OLED.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi everyone, I'd love some input on a new TV I'd like to buy this Black Friday. I currently own a Samsung 55" LCD I bought from Costco five years back. At the time, I didn't care/know too much about TVs, so I just bought one on sale.

1. Budget: ~$1500 Could be more if there's an appreciable quality investment.
2. Size: 65"
3. Uses: A lot of movies, mainly Blu-rays and a number of DVDs across a wide range of movies, from sci-fi/CG/animated flicks to old musicals/Golden Age films; I also watch a lot of TV. I also have started gaming more--thanks COVID!--and am planning to get a PS5. The games I tend to play are mainly RPGs a la Final Fantasy, but I have become more and more interested in games like Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man…
4. Room: Dim to dark; small living room that doesn't get a ton of natural light on that side of the apartment.

I decided against OLEDs mainly because the difference in the blacks, while appreciated, didn't justify the price jump in my eyes. An AV friend of mine recommended the Sony 950H, citing its reliability and range of apps. I was able to look at it in a Best Buy today and liked it very much.

I had also been thinking about getting another Samsung because, for whatever reason, its picture quality has always dazzled my eyes. I've been looking at the Samsung QN65Q80TAFXZA online and when I saw the TV in person at Best Buy today, it just immediately arrested me. My friend said Samsung pictures are very pretty, but that in recent years, the actual TVs have tended to break down/have problems in a couple years whereas Sony TVs are more solid.

There's a part of me that thinks I should get the Samsung since it made such an impression on me. The reviews overall seem positive. But given the viewing/gaming habits I've developed since I bought my current TV, I'd appreciate more experienced owners/buyers to point out things I may be overlooking or not thinking of for the long-term. I've also heard good things about the Samsung Q90T, although that's obviously more expensive. Thanks in advance!
Between the Samsung Q80T vs. the Sony X950H I can't say either is more reliable as all TVs seem flimsy and cheaply made today (spoken by a longtime plasma user).

Samsung Q80T - wider viewing angles, slightly higher contrast ratio, slightly better anti-reflective performance, has HDMI 2.1 and VRR for gaming.

Sony X950H - brighter, slightly better local dimming performance, supports DV, better gray uniformity and gradient control. If you want a Sony for gaming, look at the lower-end X900H.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Between the Samsung Q80T vs. the Sony X950H I can't say either is more reliable as all TVs seem flimsy and cheaply made today (spoken by a longtime plasma user).

Samsung Q80T - wider viewing angles, slightly higher contrast ratio, slightly better anti-reflective performance, has HDMI 2.1 and VRR for gaming.

Sony X950H - brighter, slightly better local dimming performance, supports DV, better gray uniformity and gradient control. If you want a Sony for gaming, look at the lower-end X900H.
Thank you! I understand what you mean about the reliability issue. I feel very fortunate that my current TV is still going strong after five years (other than the remote bricking after its battery holder corroded). If anyone else wants to pitch in their thoughts, please do, the feedback is very helpful.

·
Registered
16,415 Posts
Thank you! I understand what you mean about the reliability issue. I feel very fortunate that my current TV is still going strong after five years (other than the remote bricking after its battery holder corroded). If anyone else wants to pitch in their thoughts, please do, the feedback is very helpful.
I don't know about long term reliability, who does .. ?? But, the Sony X950H and others in the Sony line seem to have a more robust build quality / thicker ..

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
My 2008 Panasonic plasma is still going strong in my beach house with over 30,000 hours on it. It survived a 4 hour transport to the beach house in my son-in-laws SUV, jammed between the front and back seat. I don't expect either of my LCDs to last that long. The only site I know of that publishes statistical reliability data for TVs is Consumer Reports.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
I think Samsung Q80T 65" would be ideal for your usage, preference, budget. Dim to dark room, vibrant PQ, games, HDMI 2.1, etc.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the guidance to date. I've narrowed it down between the LG CX or the Sony A8H. Going to do some more research before I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think Samsung Q80T 65" would be ideal for your usage, preference, budget. Dim to dark room, vibrant PQ, games, HDMI 2.1, etc.

Good luck with your choice.
Thank you! I think between what I've seen and read and the thoughts of everyone here, I feel comfortable pulling the trigger now.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Thanks for the guidance to date. I've narrowed it down between the LG CX or the Sony A8H. Going to do some more research before I pull the trigger.
Since you mentioned gaming in an earlier post, LG CX with HDMI 2.1. Otherwise, the specs are similar.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all - I'm looking to replace my old TV in my den and I'm looking for some advice. I want to spend $1,500 or so and I’m looking for a 65 inch TV. The room has lots of windows and light. I'll use it to watch cable TV, Netflix and sports - no video games at all on this set. I’m deciding between three, Samsung QN65Q80T, Vizio P65QX-H1 or the Vizio P65Q9-H1. The first two are $1,499 and the last one I see on sale for $999. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi all - I'm looking to replace my old TV in my den and I'm looking for some advice. I want to spend $1,500 or so and I’m looking for a 65 inch TV. The room has lots of windows and light. I'll use it to watch cable TV, Netflix and sports - no video games at all on this set. I’m deciding between three, Samsung QN65Q80T, Vizio P65QX-H1 or the Vizio P65Q9-H1. The first two are $1,499 and the last one I see on sale for $999. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Any need for wide viewing angles?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Spoiled plasma TV owner...questions

I currently own a relic of a TV. It's a 2007 42" Panasonic Plasma. It's showing its age with a few pixels which display a very noticeable light blue against white background scenes. I recently picked up a Sony Bravia KD55X75CH https://www.amazon.com/Sony-X750H-55-inch-Ultra-2020/dp/B085M7HHHN . I only watch movies (e.g., Netflix, Amazon Prime, and ripped movies via my computer), no games or regular TV broadcasts. Moreover, the room the TV is in is always dark. Can't stand watching a movie with lights on. As for the Sony, the image quality is great until...action scenes. The periodic ghosting of the images drives me out of my mind. Is this something I should just come to accept? I never noticed this on the Panasonic, so it's a bit much to deal with. I have fiddled around with the image quality settings for the past couple of days, but nothing makes a difference.

For what it's worth, I'm using a Yamaha TSR-700 receiver

Thoughts/opinions?

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cheapskate here. Without reconfiguring my whole living room, I can fit a 70" TV.
Budget: < 1000
Uses: Mostly sports, College Football, NFL, Hockey. Also some hallmark and movies with wife
Room: 3 seats in front of TV. 2 off to the side maybe 30 degrees. Can be a bit bright during day with windows with blinds exposed to south.
Seating distance 10-12 feet I guess

I have seen the 2020 Vizio Quantum M7 70" at best buy
I have heard great things about TCL 6 series 2020 65"
I use Philo, Youtube live TV, and HD Antenna

During games Saturday / Sunday, I bring in 2 other TVs that are 50". Main TV is still a 2008 DLP Samsung 61". So either is probably a huge upgrade besides the viewing angle I suppose

Would either of these 2 TVs do? Any other bits to consider?
Also probaby need a soundbar. I use Roku ultra right now.

16701 - 16720 of 17063 Posts