AVS Forum banner

16781 - 16800 of 17063 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Haha thanks, and sorry for the double post. I got an error message the first time.

The LG OLED is just a bit out of my price range unfortunately (I have a 65" upstairs already and there's only so much my wife will let me get away with). Just seems weird to me there is such a huge gap between that TV and then like the Samsung q60t. Nothing in that gap it seems.
You can't get a 49" to be under 43" in width so only that 48" OLED will fit. Otherwise you're stuck with a tiny 43" TV and there's no 43" with the FALD and HDMI 2.1 features you want.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks. Went out and saw them over/under at the nearest BB. Obviously not ideal conditions but it was clear to me that I would have to work hard to discern the difference between them and the incredible price gap ($1,600 vs. $2,400) made it an easy solution. I was mesmerized by the OLED offerings and was torn about the 65" A8H and/or A9G but ultimately, the distance to screen of 17' made it seem like the X900H was the obvious choice for me given the specifics of the use case.

Thanks Dave and everyone who weighed in. Ultimately I am comfortable I'll have no buyers remorse on this at the price, and when i replace the family room panel in 2-3 years, I'm pretty sure it'll be OLED time then.
I was in your exact position and was comparing the Q90T as well. When I saw the A8H I was blown away with the PQ. Went back home and gave the room lighting deeper thought and pulled the trigger on Amazon Prime day.
My choice was easier since I needed 65"

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
1. Budget
$2000 max less is better

2. Seating distance
Almost 10'

3. Size/placement limitations
Looking at a 75" to replace my current Sony 65” XBR-X850D LCD

4. Uses and sources
OTA HDTV - TV Shows/Sports
Nvidia Shield/Plex movie playback
Netflix, Amazon, Hulu Playback

5. Room lighting
It's for our living room, which has one large window with shades that cut the glare during the day. At night the room is lit by Ceiling light if needed or led behind current TV.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi !
I made an impulsive buy : The sony 65 inch x900h on Costco Webiste (Canada) . I should receive it tomorrow
From what you see, will it be a good upgrade from the 55 inch I already got ?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare ... eshold=0.1
How could it not be a good upgrade?
  1. It's bigger
  2. 4K vs. 1080p
  3. FALD vs. no local dimming
  4. It's brighter
  5. It has a higher contrast ratio for deeper blacks
  6. WGC vs. no WGC
  7. HDMI 2.1, ALLM, VRR vs. none of the above
  8. Etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
How could it not be a good upgrade?
  1. It's bigger
  2. 4K vs. 1080p
  3. FALD vs. no local dimming
  4. It's brighter
  5. It has a higher contrast ratio for deeper blacks
  6. WGC vs. no WGC
  7. HDMI 2.1, ALLM, VRR vs. none of the above
  8. Etc.
thanks !
1-only 10 inch bigger
2-wgc ?
3-120hz, Allm and vrr are not working for now

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
thanks !
1-only 10 inch bigger
2-wgc ?
3-120hz, Allm and vrr are not working for now
  1. I dunno, I have a 55" and 65" and there's quite a difference to me. doing the math, it's 1,293 in² vs. 1,805 in² screen area which is 40% larger.
  2. Wide Color Gamut - wider color range needed for HDR.
  3. Yeah for now, a firmware update will fix it soon. The hardware is there and now that the new consoles are out pressure will mount on Sony to get it done. They had no real reason to fix it until now.
Your new X900H is an upgrade in every measure compared to your old TV as it should be after 5 years.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
1. Budget
$2000 max less is better

2. Seating distance
Almost 10'

3. Size/placement limitations
Looking at a 75" to replace my current Sony 65” XBR-X850D LCD

4. Uses and sources
OTA HDTV - TV Shows/Sports
Nvidia Shield/Plex movie playback
Netflix, Amazon, Hulu Playback

5. Room lighting
It's for our living room, which has one large window with shades that cut the glare during the day. At night the room is lit by Ceiling light if needed or led behind current TV.
Sony X900H 75", HDMI 2.1, ATSC 3.0 firmware updates, currently around 2K, suggest waiting for a decent discount.

Good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought a 55 inch Samsung Q80T, that sadly I'm having to return, (it had a dark spot similar to dse near the middle of the screen, that appeared and it seemed to be something inside the TV / behind the screen, that made the spot move to another spot lower on the screen) Anyway, i have to return the TV, and I'm not sure i want to go back with another TV from Samsung after that, But the biggest reason i went with the Q80T to begin with was the problems with the Sony X900H ( Screen blurriness / software issues) But now I'm leaning toward one of the Sony TVs, THe X900H is hard to find now it seems and still has the same issues from what i can gather, but should i get it when i can find it or step up to the X950H, for its PQ, the only issue i see there is, the TV would be used for gaming along with movies and such too, and I don't know if the lack of HDMI 2.1 and the not quite as low input lag would be a huge issue or not.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
I bought a 55 inch Samsung Q80T, that sadly I'm having to return, (it had a dark spot similar to dse near the middle of the screen, that appeared and it seemed to be something inside the TV / behind the screen, that made the spot move to another spot lower on the screen) Anyway, i have to return the TV, and I'm not sure i want to go back with another TV from Samsung after that, But the biggest reason i went with the Q80T to begin with was the problems with the Sony X900H ( Screen blurriness / software issues) But now I'm leaning toward one of the Sony TVs, THe X900H is hard to find now it seems and still has the same issues from what i can gather, but should i get it when i can find it or step up to the X950H, for its PQ, the only issue i see there is, the TV would be used for gaming along with movies and such too, and I don't know if the lack of HDMI 2.1 and the not quite as low input lag would be a huge issue or not.
Patience is currently needed on the gaming side with X900H firmware updates. They're working on it, as recent updates attest. More to come.

Sony X950H 55" Better Ultimate Processor, Peak Brightness, Color Accuracy, Upscaling should make one forget that X-Wide Angle slightly reduces contrast. Input lag shouldn't be an issue. HDMI 2.1 not needed with PS5.

Related:

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,

I would like to purchase a 65" tv (main usage is gaming) and thanks to someone I know, I am able to get a $700 discount on a samsung, so I was planning to get the Q90T. However reading the forums I keep seeing horror stories about Samsung TVs... am I better off buying a Sony to avoid quality issues even if it's going to be much more expensive?

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Hello everyone,

I would like to purchase a 65" tv (main usage is gaming) and thanks to someone I know, I am able to get a $700 discount on a Samsung, so I was planning to get the Q90T. However reading the forums I keep seeing horror stories about Samsung TVs... am I better off buying a Sony to avoid quality issues even if it's going to be much more expensive?
Luck of the draw aka panel lottery can happen with any brand. Granted, according to some QC ratings lists, Sony and Samsung seem to better your chances in this regard. Though during pandemic, all brands QC may have worsened. Pure conjecture by me, nothing more.

If your $700 discount includes a good return policy, I'd say proceed as planned with the Samsung Q90T. Should that not pan out, you still have two HDMI 2.1 options--Samsung Q80T, and Sony X900H, and you can revisit owner threads to see what their current affairs are.

Good luck.

·
Registered
16,415 Posts
Hello everyone,

I would like to purchase a 65" tv (main usage is gaming) and thanks to someone I know, I am able to get a $700 discount on a samsung, so I was planning to get the Q90T. However reading the forums I keep seeing horror stories about Samsung TVs... am I better off buying a Sony to avoid quality issues even if it's going to be much more expensive?
Ditto to what Panson said .. and, if that $700 discount is good on any Samsung and you don't use it .. help a Brother out and keep me in mind .. (y)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Panson: yeah, I also read X950H is better then X900H but much more expensive here :(

55'' around 900€ for XH90 and 1200€ for XH95

·
Registered
180 Posts
Looking for tv to upgrade from sammy q70r for my xbox series x. List of features im looking for are full hdmi 2.1 for
Dv, allm, freesync/vrr, [email protected] hdr, earc

considered
Tcl 6 (no [email protected])
Sony 900 (blurry [email protected])
Sammy q80t (no dv or dts passthru)

leaning to vizio p seriesquantum pq9

Does this check all of the 2.1 boxes? I understand vrr is having issues on all sets currently. I know there are oleds or quantum x with better contrast and pq, but i usually game in dark room with bias backlights which helps to a degree)

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Looking for tv to upgrade from sammy q70r for my xbox series x. List of features im looking for are full hdmi 2.1 for
Dv, allm, freesync/vrr, [email protected] hdr, earc

considered
Tcl 6 (no [email protected])
Sony 900 (blurry [email protected])
Sammy q80t (no dv or dts passthru)

leaning to vizio p seriesquantum pq9

Does this check all of the 2.1 boxes? I understand vrr is having issues on all sets currently. I know there are oleds or quantum x with better contrast and pq, but i usually game in dark room with bias backlights which helps to a degree)
Lotsa hiccups at the moment, including 2020 Vizio DSE, so-so local dimming. If your Q70R is performing well and you're not in a rush, you might consider waiting another year for HDMI 2.1 and other things to sort out.

Good luck with whatever your choose.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Lotsa hiccups at the moment, including 2020 Vizio DSE, so-so local dimming. If your Q70R is performing well and you're not in a rush, you might consider waiting another year for HDMI 2.1 and other things to sort out.

Good luck with whatever your choose.
I wish i was a more patient person. Im reconsidering the sony, seems like the blurry [email protected] was updated and much better but not fixed. Im gonna have to find some video, maybe it isnt as big of deal as others say.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give. I have used a BenQ W1070 projector as my primary TV for about 7 years just replacing the bulb every year or so.

However now I've got a couple dead pixels or something that don't seem to go away with replacing the bulb. It still looks pretty good overall, but several relatives have gotten lower end 65-70" (sub $600) 4k TVs that blow it out of the water as far as quality and it has given me the itch to get a 4k. My sister got that 70" Samsung from Best Buy for $530 and it looks great but isn't in stock anywhere within 250 miles of me and I'd rather get a 75" so it isn't as huge a difference coming from the projector (around 100" screen projected on the wall).

I only have a max budget of $800. My local walmart has this R6 Hisense in stock and it seems pretty good:

I can't find any reviews on this from rtings but the review for the H65G says that the R6 series Hisense is a step up from that and that is a competitor of the Samsung TU7000 which is the one my sister got that I think looks good. I can get the R6, an extended warranty, and a cheap soundbar for my budget of $800 max.

Anyway sorry to ramble...the point of my question is, should I get this Hisense R6 or is there a better 75" TV within my budget?

If it matters, this will go in the living room but we have blackout curtains on the living room windows and it doesn't get very bright during the day. We mostly watch TV with the lights off. Our seating distance is about 12 feet.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have (possibly) narrowed my choices down to the Vizio P75QX-H1 and Samsung QN75Q80TA for my living room and trying to make a decision as to which one will be the better choice. I honestly think I will be happy no matter which one I get but I keep second guessing. I know the Vizio has all HDMI 2.1 ports and the Samsung only has one. Also the Vizio has Dolby Vision where the Samsung does not. I am not sure the dolby vision will matter all that much to me. I plan on using the TV for 50% gaming and 50% Movies/TV/Streaming. I have a PS4 but plan on getting a PS5 at some point so HDMI 2.1 is preferable. I am not a sports fan. The living room is light controlled so no worries about glares and such during daytime use. Another point I am hanging on is the brightness between the two. I have read the Vizio can get much brighter than the Q80T which helps in HDR but the Vizio also has a red tint to it. Would like to stick to the about $2,000. I could go more if I really wanted to but if I start reaching into the mid $2Ks I might as well go to and 85". Ugh....

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give. I have used a BenQ W1070 projector as my primary TV for about 7 years just replacing the bulb every year or so.

However now I've got a couple dead pixels or something that don't seem to go away with replacing the bulb. It still looks pretty good overall, but several relatives have gotten lower end 65-70" (sub $600) 4k TVs that blow it out of the water as far as quality and it has given me the itch to get a 4k. My sister got that 70" Samsung from Best Buy for $530 and it looks great but isn't in stock anywhere within 250 miles of me and I'd rather get a 75" so it isn't as huge a difference coming from the projector (around 100" screen projected on the wall).

I only have a max budget of $800. My local walmart has this R6 Hisense in stock and it seems pretty good:

I can't find any reviews on this from rtings but the review for the H65G says that the R6 series Hisense is a step up from that and that is a competitor of the Samsung TU7000 which is the one my sister got that I think looks good. I can get the R6, an extended warranty, and a cheap soundbar for my budget of $800 max.

Anyway sorry to ramble...the point of my question is, should I get this Hisense R6 or is there a better 75" TV within my budget?

If it matters, this will go in the living room but we have blackout curtains on the living room windows and it doesn't get very bright during the day. We mostly watch TV with the lights off. Our seating distance is about 12 feet.
Samsung RU9000 75", currently heavily-discounted at just under 1K. 120 Hz, VRR. Best Samsung below the QLED Series.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

16781 - 16800 of 17063 Posts