AVS Forum banner

16981 - 17000 of 17046 Posts

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
looking at upgrading from my Sony 55X900e as I'm moving houses and have a dedicated room for my 4K TV instead of just a modified bedroom/HT room and can fit a bigger TV... looking in the 75 inch range but can't afford to blow my wad on a $4,000 OLED. Is the X90h (X900h) still the best bet for that sub $2k price range ?? or is there something else to look at? I like to stick with the major brands and not play the Chinese lottery with Hisense, HCL etc as I like to keep my TVs for 4+ years.

·
Registered
510 Posts
You should read the X900H owner's and gaming threads. Lots of issues with it especially with HDMI 2.1 and [email protected] Hz gaming.
That entire thread has been taken over with 120hz arguments and has watered down the thread.

I have the 85xbr90CH (costco). Paid less the two for it. Great tv, but not bright enough IMHO

I ordered the 85" Hisense from BB yesterday, arrives Thursday.

Can't wait to see how it compares

·
Registered
268 Posts
That entire thread has been taken over with 120hz arguments and has watered down the thread.

I have the 85xbr90CH (costco). Paid less the two for it. Great tv, but not bright enough IMHO

Yes it is... IMO hdmi 2.1 is still a beta test. All the console gamers are going nuts.
Very curious to hear about the hisense!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts

What Hisense? The only one I see at BB is the 85H6510G which is their budget VA panel without local dimming. It has sub 300 nit brightness, an extremely narrow viewing angle, poor out-of-the box color accuracy, and does not have WCG.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is it just me or has avs just been filled with issues with new sets. For people looking on this forum to find a new tv and it’s just filled with different problems. Must be because of HDMI 2.1. I buy a new tv every 1.5-2 years and this year seems like a bad year to buy. That being said I’m still looking to buy a 2020 set haha. I ordered a 85q90t but it’s not coming for another three weeks. I also have a 82q900rb coming it’s a open box from Best Buy and I got a really good price. I’ll probably try them both and pick one.
And that's my problem... i watch professional reviews and all the TV's I asked about are great in their price range... I come on here and all those TV's are terrible and have been returned, etc.... Just trying to figure out who has had good experience with each and what they liked about it. Hisense seems to have a red color that makes it terrible to watch... TCl has terrible QC so you never know what you are going to get, Sony has horrible 2.1 issues that makes it unusable for that feature...

·
Registered
268 Posts
And that's my problem... i watch professional reviews and all the TV's I asked about are great in their price range... I come on here and all those TV's are terrible and have been returned, etc.... Just trying to figure out who has had good experience with each and what they liked about it. Hisense seems to have a red color that makes it terrible to watch... TCl has terrible QC so you never know what you are going to get, Sony has horrible 2.1 issues that makes it unusable for that feature...
I don’t trust reviews, most the TVs are cherry picked, there is kick backs going etc... rtings is nice and away but just because tv a scores 7.9 in hdr and tv b scored 8.1 doesn’t Really make the tv better or better for your usage. Just because something looks good on paper doesn’t mean it will be.

mass manufacturing is always going to have flaws, but it’s become apparent the “cheaper” companies have less QC and cut corners on some stuff to achieve their price point. You get what you pay for. Honestly not just my bad experience with tcl, on Reddit and other parts of the internet, the majority of the issues I am seeing are mainly tcl! Panels, TVs not working after 6 months, no sound... just constant complaints.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
What Hisense? The only one I see at BB is the 85H6510G which is their budget VA panel without local dimming. It has sub 300 nit brightness, an extremely narrow viewing angle, poor out-of-the box color accuracy, and does not have WCG.
$999.99 after a $700 chop. :cautious:

Never seen all yellow Mixed Usage scores before at rtings.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
I don’t trust reviews, most the TVs are cherry picked, there is kick backs going etc... rtings is nice and away but just because tv a scores 7.9 in hdr and tv b scored 8.1 doesn’t Really make the tv better or better for your usage. Just because something looks good on paper doesn’t mean it will be.

mass manufacturing is always going to have flaws, but it’s become apparent the “cheaper” companies have less QC and cut corners on some stuff to achieve their price point. You get what you pay for. Honestly not just my bad experience with tcl, on Reddit and other parts of the internet, the majority of the issues I am seeing are mainly tcl! Panels, TVs not working after 6 months, no sound... just constant complaints.
Not much cheery/cherry-picking going on these days, it's futile. ;)

In fairness to rtings, they buy from retail, warn that real world viewing may differ from test viewing, and warn that panel luck is part of the game.

Buying during pandemic is not for sissies.

Cheers. Happy New Year.

Reactions: Bb412

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
I got the email about the sale and I'm like 85" TV under $1000!!! WOW... then I went to rtings and I am like :sick::sick::sick::sick:

Yep, I think if I was blatz8, I'd turn the Hisense truck around, and continue tinkering with the under-2K X900H 85" settings. And also patiently wait for Sony HDMI 2.1 firmware updates, or possible recall. ;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yep, I think if I was blatz8, I'd turn the Hisense truck around, and continue tinkering with the under-2K X900H 85" settings. And also patiently wait for Sony HDMI 2.1 firmware updates, or possible recall. ;)
Lol - watch it have a better panel than tcl 🙄 speaking of I sent rtings pictures of all the tcl’s I got, they say the yellow/brown border issue is uniformity not dse... if anyone cares... interesting to hear another opinion...

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Lol - watch it have a better panel than tcl 🙄 speaking of I sent rtings pictures of all the tcl’s I got, they say the yellow/brown border issue is uniformity not dse... if anyone cares... interesting to hear another opinion...
Recently saw border issues on a AVS owner thread. Don't think it was TCL. Scary stuff. The darker border coloring was uniform in width and straight-edge, so I'd agree with rtings on that. Irritating, pathetic with any definition.

Reactions: Bb412

·
Registered
268 Posts
Recently saw border issues on a AVS owner thread. Don't think it was TCL. Scary stuff. The darker border coloring was uniform in width and straight-edge, so I'd agree with rtings on that. Irritating, pathetic with any definition.
So this border issue that’s really prevalent on the run of tcl tv’s I tried, you’ve seen it on a different brand, would this be considered a defect ? I read someone speculate somewhere it’s the way the panels are soldered together.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Looking or a 43"-50" tv for bedroom, Will be used for streaming, playing Xbox. watching content from s server. Distance and viewing angles is a non-issue as we budgte uo to 900~, Appreciate any and all opinions/ Thank you

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
So this border issue that’s really prevalent on the run of tcl tv’s I tried, you’ve seen it on a different brand, would this be considered a defect ? I read someone speculate somewhere it’s the way the panels are soldered together.
From what I saw, it's a defect. Clearly visible and disruptive.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Looking or a 43"-50" tv for bedroom, Will be used for streaming, playing Xbox. watching content from s server. Distance and viewing angles is a non-issue as we budgte uo to 900~, Appreciate any and all opinions/ Thank you
Sony X950H 49", currently around $998. VA panel, FALD, no X-Wide Angle with 49", Ultimate Processor, excellent screen uniformity and color accuracy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Scoring a PS5 has prompted me to upgrade my 13 year old 50" Panasonic plasma (still going strong). I am torn between the 65" LG OLED CX and the 75" Sony X900H. Ideally, I want the 77" LG, but I just cannot justify the price difference from the 65". I know that bigger is generally better, but the picture quality of the OLED is simply phenomenal. Your thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Scoring a PS5 has prompted me to upgrade my 13 year old 50" Panasonic plasma (still going strong). I am torn between the 65" LG OLED CX and the 75" Sony X900H. Ideally, I want the 77" LG, but I just cannot justify the price difference from the 65". I know that bigger is generally better, but the picture quality of the OLED is simply phenomenal. Your thoughts? Thanks!
Oled all day! Plus the CX at least has functioning HDMI 2.1.. while the X900h is a mess when it comes to that. When its the CX versus the Sony, the CX wins hands down!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Sony X950H 49", currently around $998. VA panel, FALD, no X-Wide Angle with 49", Ultimate Processor, excellent screen uniformity and color accuracy.

Good luck.

Thank you, After the sony and not oled what would be the next tvy ou would recommend between 43-50? Thank you

16981 - 17000 of 17046 Posts