AVS Forum banner

17021 - 17040 of 17047 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2016 Vizio P55-C1 is dying (failing LED strips) and parts are apparently so hard to come by its not cost effective to repair.

55" is as large as I can go, viewing angles are wide, and the room is bright, so reflection handling matters. Reflections are the main complaint with the P55-C1 outside Vizio's poor software reliability. I prefer LED vs OLED due to burn-in and brightness concerns (I want to go brighter than the P55 for daytime watching). HDMI 2.1 is not a major concern, as I'm at best a casual gamer.

Of the 2020 models the Q90T and X950H were the leading contenders, as many well reviewed 2020 TVs simply don't offer a 55" model (TCL 8, Vizio P, etc.) Dolby Vision and a lower price had tilted me towards the Sony. Before I pulled the trigger however, I waited for CES announcements and basically assumed I'd preorder the next Sony 55".

However, it looks like Sony is dropping 55" from the 2021 X95J, and the X92 doesn't have wide angle. Samsung appears to have not budged on Dolby Vision. LG's 2021 mini-LED is interesting, as I don't like blooming, but they were not a top choice before, I haven't seen sizes mentioned yet, and its a long wait to see reviews.

I'm leaning towards picking up a discounted X950H now, as it seems like 2021 further restricts the higher end 55" LED's, assuming you want Dolby Vision. Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
269 Posts
So tcl number 4 showed up today.... the last I’m willing to try... still have to end of the month to move on... I’ve seen people say Amazon has sold / shipped refurbs as new...

I’ve you’ve seen tcl boxes at Best Buy etc they are white with red and blue...

what is this generic brown box that just showed up from Amazon ?

View attachment 3076254
Got a reply from cuddly Amazon ships in brown boxes... odd...

Just unpacked won’t turn it on for a few hours let it get up to room temp...

Folks we are about to find out if the series 5 had a bad run of panels or it’s a defect / design issue because the build date on this tv is November 2020.... newest I’ve heard was October, everyone that posted pics across the internet with the picture frame brown yellow problem such as myself had early build July - aug - sep.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
My 2016 Vizio P55-C1 is dying (failing LED strips) and parts are apparently so hard to come by its not cost effective to repair.

55" is as large as I can go, viewing angles are wide, and the room is bright, so reflection handling matters. Reflections are the main complaint with the P55-C1 outside Vizio's poor software reliability. I prefer LED vs OLED due to burn-in and brightness concerns (I want to go brighter than the P55 for daytime watching). HDMI 2.1 is not a major concern, as I'm at best a casual gamer.

Of the 2020 models the Q90T and X950H were the leading contenders, as many well reviewed 2020 TVs simply don't offer a 55" model (TCL 8, Vizio P, etc.) Dolby Vision and a lower price had tilted me towards the Sony. Before I pulled the trigger however, I waited for CES announcements and basically assumed I'd preorder the next Sony 55".

However, it looks like Sony is dropping 55" from the 2021 X95J, and the X92 doesn't have wide angle. Samsung appears to have not budged on Dolby Vision. LG's 2021 mini-LED is interesting, as I don't like blooming, but they were not a top choice before, I haven't seen sizes mentioned yet, and its a long wait to see reviews.

I'm leaning towards picking up a discounted X950H now, as it seems like 2021 further restricts the higher end 55" LED's, assuming you want Dolby Vision. Am I missing anything?
Considering your X-Wide Angle desire, X950H sounds like a good decision to me.

For potential X900H customers, they might be wise to wait for 2021 X90J with XR Processor.

2021 Sony TV info (prices announced in spring):

Good luck.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Tcl number 4 (65”s535)..... this is beyond panel luck lottery at this point. Being a November 2020 build (I would assume this has to be the newest build probably takes a month to ship them over and get them distributed)....

Number 4 is brighter then the first 3 panels for some reason. No YouTube tests, just regular full screen content between game of thrones (1080p) and the Irishmen DV along with 6 underground DV in letterbox.

The panel does not have the entire “picture frame” of the big brown/yellowish border, if it does unlike panels 1-3 it’s not noticeable under normal content. The bottom and top look fine.... but... the left and right side... well same crap.... and it’s thicker...

At this point I’m convinced, it’s by design... probably the lesser panels, the series 6 gets the better panels ? Some say it’s a defect... Rtings emailed me after I sent them pictures of the first 3 said it’s very bad uniformity... I have seen the series 6 (in posts) with the brown borders and my friend exchanged a series 6 with brown sides just like this... but the majority of the brown picture frame panels people complain about I see are definitely on the series 5 more...

the panel While better ( and brighter ) then 1,2 & 3 it’s still very distracting on the sides.... I’m not going to comment on the vignette because the lines just run into the corners so it’s kind on moot.

At this point, I could not recommend the tcl series 5 to anyone, or tcl in general for 2020 due to them saying content creates the problem and the panels I sent them meet industry standards...

Experiment is over - 4tvs, 3 different retailers, 3 made in China, 1 made in Mexico. Build dates of August, September, September and now November. That’s a lot of variables for the panel lottery to get almost identical results. The science points to the manufacture for what ever reason.

edit - for whatever reason, maybe the brown border lines get stronger once the tv has been on for a bit...I did think i noticed this with the first three, but now I’m more confident with number 4 its happening. going on 3 hours since I turned it on and they are now much stronger in light color scenes, you can also notice it a little during mid color scenes now making the areas darker.... I’m wondering if 3 months down the road these things get even worse for some reason...the panel is also no longer brighter then the other 3, seems after running it for a few hours it’s got the same brightness as the first 3.... not sure why that would happen second run into the same game of thrones episode (the really dark one during season 8) it’s obvious the brightness has settled.

edit 2 - watched a lot of tv tonight, about 6 hours... noticed jailbars a few times...put on a hockey game from the other night, world juniors and it was like running a damn YouTube test... dse everywhere. You can not watch hockey on these TVs... since the game showed me all the dse I hit YouTube... I was already seeing most of the issues at this point anyway under normal content... just another awful panel, hey it doesn’t have have yellow/brown 2”
Thick line across the top or bottom much! But the trade off is the amount of dse in the center and of course the left and right of the screen are trashed with the yellow/brown line from top to bottom.... tcl is a joke to me at this point.. here’s a pic of number 4, off to bed and time to get this pos out of here... on paper a great tv... in person it’s puke... hey Brad, care to comment ? I added to many variables for this to even be a panel lottery at this point...

Number 4 nov 2020 build

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm looking into pulling the trigger on a TCL 6, the 2020 model. My Samsung JS8500 is really getting bad to l with the brightness and bright spots on the edges. After spending big money on a couple $2000+ Samsungs for the last 2 TVs and having problems this bad with them, I am bitter about spending that much on another one.

The 75" TCL 6 send to get pretty good reviews and based on the stats and newer tech or seems like it will be a better tv than what I'm using anyway.

We're sitting about 15 feet away. I use my htpc to run everything. I have a large mix of sd, hdtv and gaming with this setup.

I don't wanna spend more than a grand

Thanks!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm looking into pulling the trigger on a TCL 6, the 2020 model. My Samsung JS8500 is really getting bad to l with the brightness and bright spots on the edges. After spending big money on a couple $2000+ Samsungs for the last 2 TVs and having problems this bad with them, I am bitter about spending that much on another one.

The 75" TCL 6 send to get pretty good reviews and based on the stats and newer tech or seems like it will be a better tv than what I'm using anyway.

We're sitting about 15 feet away. I use my htpc to run everything. I have a large mix of sd, hdtv and gaming with this setup.

Thanks!

You might want to read my experience that turned into an experiment above. Granted it’s the series 5 but I’ve seen the same with the series 6, just not as much. The Sony 900h should be going on sale soon, that’s the direction I’m looking currently. Something I also left out, va panels have weak viewing angles but these tcl’s are even worse. You almost have to stay in the direct middle of the screen for the most part...I wouldn’t put out 1k with tax for a tcl... like you, the tv is used for movies thats why I chosen the series 5. Outside of hdr brightness it beats the series 6 in some areas for movies / tv shows / cable.. more accurate out of the box color, the local dimming is a little better, the panel doesn’t stutter as much probably because it’s 60hz not 120hz, and the series 5 doesn’t have much blooming at all...but the panel ruins the experience regardless how the tv performs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You might want to read my experience that turned into an experiment above. Granted it’s the series 5 but I’ve seen the same with the series 6, just not as much. The Sony 900h should be going on sale soon, that’s the direction I’m looking currently. Something I also left out, va panels have weak viewing angles but these tcl’s are even worse. You almost have to stay in the direct middle of the screen for the most part...I wouldn’t put out 1k with tax for a tcl... like you, the tv is used for movies thats why I chosen the series 5. Outside of hdr brightness it beats the series 6 in some areas for movies / tv shows / cable.. more accurate out of the box color, the local dimming is a little better, the panel doesn’t stutter as much probably because it’s 60hz not 120hz, and the series 5 doesn’t have much blooming at all...but the panel ruins the experience regardless how the tv performs.
Well I'm comparing it to a tv that's practically broken right now with the bright spots ruining my experience big time. I'm so mad that this happened I just want to replace it. Are there any other options available now that you guys would recommend? I would imagine there's something out there what would outshine the js8500 for the price given it's age and problems. The TCL comes up in a lot of lists which is why I'm researching more. I never had that brand before but I know I don't want a Samsung again.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well I'm comparing it to a tv that's practically broken right now with the bright spots ruining my experience big time. I'm so mad that this happened I just want to replace it. Are there any other options available now that you guys would recommend? I would imagine there's something out there what would outshine the js8500 for the price given it's age and problems. The TCL comes up in a lot of lists which is why I'm researching more. I never had that brand before but I know I don't want a Samsung again.

Almost every review you watch / read are cherry picked tv’s from the manufactures.

75” for 1k your options are extremely limited.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Almost every review you watch / read are cherry picked tv’s from the manufactures.

75” for 1k your options are extremely limited.
It doesn't need to be a 75". That was just the option I was looking at. I'm fine to stick with the 65" because that's where my wall mount and front heights are set up for anyway.

If there are better options out there I'd love to hear them so I know what I'll be checking out when I head to the store.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

·
Registered
269 Posts
It doesn't need to be a 75". That was just the option I was looking at. I'm fine to stick with the 65" because that's where my wall mount and front heights are set up for anyway.

If there are better options out there I'd love to hear them so I know what I'll be checking out when I head to the store.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Tv’s will be on sale again in a few weeks - go with 65” and you will be able to get something good in that price range (Sony 900h comes to mind). Stay away from the “cheap” brands unless you don’t care if your screen distracts you while watching.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts

Thanks!
2020 Samsung TU8000 75", currently around $1097, discounted.

2019 Samsung RU8000 75", currently around $1200 with healthy discount.

RU8000 with wide color gamut is preferred. Both models are decent for the money, and likely better performers and more dependable than TCL.

Good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
2020 Samsung TU8000 75", currently around $1097, discounted.

2019 Samsung RU8000 75", currently around $1200 with healthy discount.

RU8000 with wide color gamut is preferred. Both models are decent for the money, and likely better performers and more dependable than TCL.

Good luck.
I get where you're coming from but I don't want another Samsung. I've already had 3 go bad on me. I feel their quality just doesn't hold up long enough for how much they cost.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
I get where you're coming from but I don't want another Samsung. I've already had 3 go bad on me. I feel their quality just doesn't hold up long enough for how much they cost.
Sony X750H 75", currently around $1098, discounted.

No matter what you buy, I suggest having a good warranty that reaches well beyond the standard 1yr offering, as well as a retailer with a good exchange/return policy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sony X750H 75", currently around $1098, discounted.

No matter what you buy, I suggest having a good warranty that reaches well beyond the standard 1yr offering, as well as a retailer with a good exchange/return policy.

Good luck.
To be realistic, no matter which avenue I take here with all these options, is it not going to be better than the js8500 anyway?

·
Registered
236 Posts
To be realistic, no matter which avenue I take here with all these options, is it not going to be better than the js8500 anyway?

Stick with the tcl 6 series. It is a far better tv than all those other options. I would wait for the Super Bowl sales if your tv still functions.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Stick with the tcl 6 series. It is a far better tv than all the other options.
Another China big feature fail. When will TCL, Vizio, Hisense finally step up and walk the talk?

Reactions: beerhunt and Bb412

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Not with China big fail, or a 1K budget.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If anyone scrolls back. You’ll see the pictures I posted of 4 tcl’s panels all with the same problem... well panel 4 is still here and will be until I return it (holding out hoping for 900 goes on sale for the super bowl)... anyway in the meantime using tv number 4.

Check out what panel number 4 did last night in those brown borders all around the inside, I’ve never seen anything like this, anyone else ? Panel coming a part from heat ?

that’s not dirt on the road or in the sky but those are the areas that normally would be yellowish/brown in light color scenes.... it also not the content...

anyone thinking about a tv I would advise you not to buy from tcl - 4 panels, 3 different retailers, 3 different build dates - all looked the same... this isn’t bad panel lottery luck.

back to the op - any clue what this thing just did ?

·
Registered
506 Posts
If anyone scrolls back. You’ll see the pictures I posted of 4 tcl’s panels all with the same problem... well panel 4 is still here and will be until I return it (holding out hoping for 900 goes on sale for the super bowl)... anyway in the meantime using tv number 4.

Check out what panel number 4 did last night in those brown borders all around the inside, I’ve never seen anything like this, anyone else ? Panel coming a part from heat ?
View attachment 3077275

that’s not dirt on the road or in the sky but those are the areas that normally would be yellowish/brown in light color scenes.... it also not the content...

anyone thinking about a tv I would advise you not to buy from tcl - 4 panels, 3 different retailers, 3 different build dates - all looked the same... this isn’t bad panel lottery luck.

back to the op - any clue what this thing just did ?

Have you ran this test from you tube;

I had bough an Hisense 55" h9f back in November 2019 with a 2 year geek squad warranty. It's a very nice budget TV which This youtuber Quantum reviewed it and he was right on the mark with the tv. Due to health reasons I never tested the tv until now. and found that I had severe DSE. You can say its a Hisense, whatever. I called geek squad last week they came out , later that afternoon I got a call from geek squad saying they will replace the tv, I opted for the credit which will now go towards my 2021 tv.

Good luck on your tv.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Have you ran this test from you tube;

I had bough an Hisense 55" h9f back in November 2019 with a 2 year geek squad warranty. It's a very nice budget TV which This youtuber Quantum reviewed it and he was right on the mark with the tv. Due to health reasons I never tested the tv until now. and found that I had severe DSE. You can say its a Hisense, whatever. I called geek squad last week they came out , later that afternoon I got a call from geek squad saying they will replace the tv, I opted for the credit which will now go towards my 2021 tv.

Good luck on your tv.
That strobing panel white line was for plasma’s back in the day.. it’s not going to do anything for lcd/led tv. did you notice the dse during normal viewing ? If not I’d hesitate to get a new TV.... try not to run dse tests unless something is bothering you under normal content, once you see that stuff you can’t unsee it... every panel will have some dse...

Sorry I don’t really watch you tubers much. Don’t know quantum but I’ll check it out.

17021 - 17040 of 17047 Posts