AVS Forum banner

17381 - 17400 of 17410 Posts

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
hey everyone! I've been an OLED dude since they launched but am thinking about switching it up. I'm not quite sure where to start with LEDs. I want to go for a 65" w/ bomb picture quality (who doesn't lol).
I'd suggest Sony 2020 Z8H 8K, or Sony 2021 Z9J, 8K, but they're 75" minimum.

Sony X95J 4K 65".

Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
504 Posts
What should I be looking for in a 4K as far as formats? Ideally I would want one that handled all of them, HDR10, HDR10+, and Dolby Vision, to cover all the bases. Just started researching and trying to nail down a price range but only know of the Vizio P Series Quantum X that does all in my price range. Are there others around the Vizios price? Do I need all of them?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
What should I be looking for in a 4K as far as formats? Ideally I would want one that handled all of them, HDR10, HDR10+, and Dolby Vision, to cover all the bases. Just started researching and trying to nail down a price range but only know of the Vizio P Series Quantum X that does all in my price range. Are there others around the Vizios price? Do I need all of them?
All you "need" is HDR.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
AFAIK only Philips and Panasonic TVs.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would like some opinions for picking out a television to replace our existing 82” Samsung in our MBR, and yes it is a big master bedroom. The current one has a line of dead pixels and they don’t make that model so it’s easier to get something else.

The TV is mostly used for network television shows off of a Direct TV receiver, and is used at night to fall asleep to. Movies are shown in the dedicated HT and sports are usually watched in the front room but sometimes also on this MBR television.

My current choices are (all +/- the same $);
  • Sony 85” XBR85X800H
  • LG 86” 86UN8570PUC
  • Samsung 85” UN85TU8000FXZA

Or if I pony up some more money (+$500) there is the Sony 85” with Full Array Local Dimming
  • Sony 85” XBR85X900H

How big a deal is the native refresh rate versus the Motion Enhancement Technology?

The number of HDMI inputs is not an issue as it is run through an AVR.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
I would like some opinions for picking out a television to replace our existing 82” Samsung in our MBR, and yes it is a big master bedroom. The current one has a line of dead pixels and they don’t make that model so it’s easier to get something else.

The TV is mostly used for network television shows off of a Direct TV receiver, and is used at night to fall asleep to. Movies are shown in the dedicated HT and sports are usually watched in the front room but sometimes also on this MBR television.

• Sony 85” XBR85X800H
  • LG 86” 86UN8570PUC

Or if I pony up some more money (+$500) there is the Sony 85” with Full Array Local Dimming
  • Sony 85” XBR85X900H

How big a deal is the native refresh rate versus the Motion Enhancement Technology?

Thanks for any input!
120 Hz rules. Some prefer to turn "motion enhancement" off.

The LG 86" has 120 Hz Native Refresh Rate, but IPS panel hurts, and likely QC issues. The Samsung 85", 120 Hz Native Refresh Rate, but poor SDR/HDR Peak Brightness, and likely DSE, Screen Uniformity issues. Sony X800H 85" has VA panel. Though 60 Hz Native Refresh Rate hurts, Sony x800H 85" would be my preference of these three.

The FALD now under consideration gets my overall vote. In another league compared to the aforementioned.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Thank you for the information, sooooo what is FALD? and do you mean the
  • Sony 85” XBR85X900H
Thanks again!
Yes, Sony X900H 85" with Full Array Local Dimming (FALD).

You're welcome. Good luck and have fun.

Reactions: EricU

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes, Sony X900H 85" with Full Array Local Dimming (FALD).

You're welcome. Good luck and have fun.
Ahhhhh! Well, thanks again and I think that you just cost me an additional $700!!!! plus the money that this website cost me upgrading my Marantz to a SR7013!! Oh well, problems to have!!!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts

• Sony 85” XBR85X800H
  • LG 86” 86UN8570PUC

• Sony 85” XBR85X900H

Thanks for any input!
Not watching movies, then no need for HDR. Eliminate the IPS 86" LG for a dark bedroom, you'll want a VA panel.

So both the 85" X800H and 85" TU8000 are both VA panels without local dimming. The Samsung has a very high contrast ratio for deep blacks, but isn't very bright. But in a dark bedroom high brightness might not be an asset. Reviews of the X800H tend to be of the IPS panel smaller screens, but typically Sony VA panel TVs have lower contrast ratios than Samsung, usually in the 4,500:1 ratio range compared to 6,000:1 for Samsung VA panels. The Sony should be brighter, if that matters. The X800H has the edge in color with WCG, but that's mostly for HDR movies. Both have native 60 Hz panels according to reviews.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Not watching movies, then no need for HDR. Eliminate the IPS 86" LG for a dark bedroom, you'll want a VA panel.

So both the 85" X800H and 85" TU8000 are both VA panels without local dimming. The Samsung has a very high contrast ratio for deep blacks, but isn't very bright. But in a dark bedroom high brightness might not be an asset. Reviews of the X800H tend to be of the IPS panel smaller screens, but typically Sony VA panel TVs have lower contrast ratios than Samsung, usually in the 4,500:1 ratio range compared to 6,000:1 for Samsung VA panels. The Sony should be brighter, if that matters. The X800H has the edge in color with WCG, but that's mostly for HDR movies. Both have native 60 Hz panels according to reviews.
Thanks, Dave. I sit corrected on the Samsung TU8000 Native Refresh Rate. Probably thinking of RU8000.

Cheers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm finally ready to upgrade my 8y/o 50" Samsung low-end 1080p LED and enter the world of 4K, HDR and HDMI2.1

I've done as much research as humanly possible and need some help choosing between:
  • 65" Samsung Q90T
  • 55" LG CX (with burn-in cover, from John Lewis)
These two work out at almost the same price (including insurance for the OLED).

My use will be 95%+ for games only, in a room where I can control the light level almost completely. Because I'm using it only for games. I sit about 5.8 feet, but can move back a bit if needed.

I've ruled out the Sony XH90 because of bugs and blurry 120hz image, and no guarantee it'll get VRR working anytime soon, any set with an IPS panel (it's just for me and I'll be sitting right in the middle, so I don't care about viewing angles), and I don't want to wait until November just to get possibly marginal/low gains with this year's QLED mini-LEDs.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Buy the biggest TV you can .. 🖖
So should I go with the 85" Samsung Q80T over the 75" Samsung QN85A?
I would think the QN85A will produce a much better picture? The TV will only be used for Streaming Netflix, HBO max, Hulu, etc
Room will be dark to medium light, sitting distance is about 12'
Replacing my 2015 Samsung 65" JS8500
Thanks for any input you guys have on this

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
So should I go with the 85" Samsung Q80T over the 75" Samsung QN85A?
I would think the QN85A will produce a much better picture? The TV will only be used for Streaming Netflix, HBO max, Hulu, etc
Room will be dark to medium light, sitting distance is about 12'
Replacing my 2015 Samsung 65" JS8500
Thanks for any input you guys have on this
The 75" Samsung QN85A is an ADS (IPS) panel with low contrast ratio, which is not optimum for a dark room. It is very bright though, which makes it a better choice for a brighter room.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
I'm finally ready to upgrade my 8y/o 50" Samsung low-end 1080p LED and enter the world of 4K, HDR and HDMI2.1

I've done as much research as humanly possible and need some help choosing between:
  • 65" Samsung Q90T
  • 55" LG CX (with burn-in cover, from John Lewis)
These two work out at almost the same price (including insurance for the OLED).

My use will be 95%+ for games only, in a room where I can control the light level almost completely. Because I'm using it only for games. I sit about 5.8 feet, but can move back a bit if needed.

I've ruled out the Sony XH90 because of bugs and blurry 120hz image, and no guarantee it'll get VRR working anytime soon, any set with an IPS panel (it's just for me and I'll be sitting right in the middle, so I don't care about viewing angles), and I don't want to wait until November just to get possibly marginal/low gains with this year's QLED mini-LEDs.

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Go bigger. Currently, a good discount on Samsung Q90T 65"in US. Don't know about UK.

Good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah I know I have the worst possible conditions, but looking at my living room is OLED totally out of the question?

The only positive is I have enough space to mount a big TV, right now is a 65" so I can go +80 if LG QNED comes in a decent price

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Yeah I know I have the worst possible conditions, but looking at my living room is OLED totally out of the question?

The only positive is I have enough space to mount a big TV, right now is a 65" so I can go +80 if LG QNED comes in a decent price
LG QNED 99 Series 8K; LG QNED 90 Series 4K.

86" sounds exciting on that wall, and would probably react better with that room's lighting. The QNED possible downside is they're IPS panels. IPS helps with brighter room conditions, and wider viewing angle, but also reduces contrast.

With OLED of course, size would be taking a big hit. 65" or 77" vs 86".

Looking at these contenders before buying might help, but this is not always possible for jumbo TVs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I live in Panama so looking would be hard I have to relay in external info like reviews or advice from people that have access to the tech

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there I am looking for a 65" TV in the $1000-$1500 CDN range. I plan only to watch movies via streaming and use it to connect to a PC for web surfing here and there. I have done a lot of reading on the Sony X900H and that TV is at the very top of my budget. There seems to be a big issue with 120HZ gaming for this TV, but since I don't plan on doing any, I am wondering if this is the best TV for my budget.

I am not in a big rush and wondering if we'll see better/discounted TV's at my price range anytime soon.

Thanks

17381 - 17400 of 17410 Posts