AVS Forum banner

2381 - 2400 of 7075 Posts

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
Running eq (ypao for me) is going to set a delay time for the subs (normal subs, not boss) from what I understand... are you saying you want the BOSS to have 0 delay in relation to the subs, or that it would be good to go into the minidsp 2x4HD and somehow have the BOSS getting its signal prior to the subs in the room?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You need to play with it by feel.

I found that adding some delay to the NX3000D in the Behringer DSP GUI made my direct mount hybrid and BOSS platform made feel more closely matched/realistic/accurate to my nearfield sub, where the 18” driver isn’t as close in distance.

Keep in mind that adding “distance” in an AVR (Denon and Marantz and Onkyo) is actually increasing the speed the signal is processed... it’s opposite of what you might originally have thought. IE - If your speaker is 25’ away the receiver needs to process/output the sound more quickly to arrive in sync with a speaker that is 6’ away.

VS. on the Behringer amp DSP, adding delay is actually adding delay. Making the impact / impulse response slower in getting to you.

It plays out like this

Let’s say Audyssey puts my front sub bank at 12’
It puts my rear sub bank at 4.1 foot.

That all feels very much perfect

When I split off my sub 2 nearfield bank to the direct mount BOSS hybrid idea it didn’t feel quite right. Timing (impulse response) felt a bit off.

I turned off my nearfield 18” sub and manually fidgeted with the sub2 distance playing only the Boss direct mount hybrid until I felt like it felt good and accurate to the front sub 1 Bank of subwoofers. That distance setting for sub 2 was about 2.5’

Turn on the nearfield 18” again and boss hybrid both and now the nearfield 18” felt off because with the lesser distance in the AVR they are now firing too late. (In AVR more distance = < delay, less distance = > delay)

This is perceivable with kick drums of beat based music.

So I put my sub2 bank back at the original 4.1 feet which is ideal for the nearfield (but makes BOSS hybrid fire too fast, and in my NX3000D I added a slight ~ 2 foot delay. (Making it > delay for the BOSS Hybrid)

Since my butt is 6” from the direct mount and 2’ from the nearfield it l feels perfect now.

I used generic measurements through all this but you get the idea.

·
Registered
353 Posts
:grin::grin: Ingenious!!

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
What changed your mind, I thought you were all set?

I was totally set, but...

Maybe it was the extra 4th driver I had from the original order that prompted me to order two more a couple weeks later. That and I really needed to add a little more ground clearance as just the isos are not enough. I also built this one so the couch is flush with the front; have already tripped over or into it a few times and don’t want my kids/wife hurting themselves on it. I also blame the ease of building/modifying the BOSS.

And more BOSS is always better, no?! Will be interesting to see how I can dial all six in below 20Hz now that I’m not afraid of too much excursion.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
tvuong said:
Isn’t it the only way to feed the boss? Perhaps you meant feeding the boss full range LFE with no LPF?
No. A typical subwoofer is fed with both the LFE signal + redirected bass from the 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, or 15 speaker surround speakers. I am only feeding the BOSS with the LFE channel. LFE can go up to 120hz, I have it lowpassed at 80hz.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
No. A typical subwoofer is fed with both the LFE signal + redirected bass from the 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, or 15 speaker surround speakers. I am only feeding the BOSS with the LFE channel. LFE can go up to 120hz, I have it lowpassed at 80hz.

Why do you prefer just the LFE signal for the BOSS? Just curious

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
@Sekosche - if i send all the redirected bass to the boss, i agree with some others that it can be a bit too much, a bit too distracting, and almost mandates the use of a lowpass filter somwhere in the 20-40hz range. Otherwise you are shaking throughout a movie with bass constantly. With just the LFE signal, i can still allow bass up to 80hz (which i like because the higher bass frequencies have a different effect, and i want to experience a range of tactile effects) without it being overwhelming or active ALL the time. The LFE channel is typically active in the most bass heavy scenes, and typically gets the lowest frequency information in it. The redirected bass is typically higher in frequency and is typically more abundant.

·
Registered
445 Posts
@TRHough.. Re: Your comment: "..like bicycle inner tubes specifically. An interesting idea to explore to see what else may be possible, especially if that inner tube can be used for 2 purposes, as skirting to enhance the hovercraft effect and providing the duty of the isolators."

It just dawned on me that you were likely suggesting a concentric arrangement for the inner tubes, with each speaker skirted by its own tube - DUH... I love it!!! Thinking that the using small utillity trailer tire tubes might work best to maximize the effect, by increasing pumping efficiency? Since my couch is on thick carpet, breathing might not be that much of an issue. I've mounted four JBL's under the main part of my sectional... (insert mad scientist maniacal lol here...)

·
Registered
11,964 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
@Sekosche - if i send all the redirected bass to the boss, i agree with some others that it can be a bit too much, a bit too distracting, and almost mandates the use of a lowpass filter somwhere in the 20-40hz range. Otherwise you are shaking throughout a movie with bass constantly. With just the LFE signal, i can still allow bass up to 80hz (which i like because the higher bass frequencies have a different effect, and i want to experience a range of tactile effects) without it being overwhelming or active ALL the time. The LFE channel is typically active in the most bass heavy scenes, and typically gets the lowest frequency information in it. The redirected bass is typically higher in frequency and is typically more abundant.

Makes sense, my nearfields give me enough up to 100Hz so I’ve been running the MA’s and BOSS much lower, I can’t imagine running an 80Hz LPF on the BOSS! May have to try it just once, but I imagine it’s distracting.

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
I made a video of the Hudson HIFI 20 durometer as feet to show a comparison. Between 1) no feet, 2) Hudson HIFI isolators attached to bottom of chair and 3) Boss platform with Hudson HIFI isolators.

https://imgur.com/gallery/CFnsSx4?s=sms

I’m having trouble keeping my chair from sliding around on the mini riser. What adhesive are you guys using?

·
Registered
971 Posts
I’m having trouble keeping my chair from sliding around on the mini riser. What adhesive are you guys using?
My seat has feet and I used small blocks of wood attached to the platform that lock the feet in place.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My seat has feet and I used small blocks of wood attached to the platform that lock the feet in place.
I did the same...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Slap a few silicone isos on your furniture and it won’t budge, even the smaller ones would work, and jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
This is how it’s done;)

All that for one seat !

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
This is how it’s done;)

All that for one seat !
WORD!!!! Truly insane my TR lovin' friend (AKA LORD OF TR)!!! I'm inspired to say the least and will be following in your footsteps!! :D :cool::cool::cool::cool:

2381 - 2400 of 7075 Posts