AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have played MGS and MGS2 (missed the third), but it was a very long time ago. I've been trying to find a good history of the story to catch me up before I really dive into MGS4 but have been unsuccessful. Anyone have a good link for something like this? It's easy to get lost with this story line.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdye /forum/post/14227682

I have played MGS and MGS2 (missed the third), but it was a very long time ago. I've been trying to find a good history of the story to catch me up before I really dive into MGS4 but have been unsuccessful. Anyone have a good link for something like this? It's easy to get lost with this story line.

Well there is always wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_gear

Or you can download the Metal Gear Database from PSN. That has more info than you'll ever need.... trust me.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Yep, the database is great. I also really recommend playing MGS3- it's arguably the best one.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
If I were you, I would strongly recommend playing 3. Even if you put it on easy to get through to the story faster. Then read through the timeline of the downloadable database before playing 4. Don't worry, the spoiler locks itself if you haven't played 4 yet. 4 recalls 3 a lot. If you enjoyed 1 and 2 at all, you owe it to yourself to really know what's going on before playing 4.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
yeah, exactly what the other guys have been saying. play MGS in this order

1. MGS3

2. MGS1

3. MGS2

4. MGS4

That's basically the timeline for you

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I'm not much of a gamer anymore. But, I think I'm a Metal Gear fan as I used to play them even before the more modern Solid series. I still have my old MSX! I was thinking about buying a PS3 for MGS4. but have not played the third solid game. based on this timeline, I should be fine right?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If you really want to get deep into the history you should watch this . 6 Episodes, 20 minutes each. Takes you back all the way to the original MGS on the Nintendo.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I would play them in release order (MGS, MGS2, MGS3) not chronologically. Like a lot of prequels, MGS3 features a lot of "oh wow" moments which you just won't get if you haven't played MGS and MGS2. Even though it is the first part of the story, there are a lot of references in MGS3 that assume you have played through MGS and MGS2.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmedia2 /forum/post/14232402

I'm not much of a gamer anymore. But, I think I'm a Metal Gear fan as I used to play them even before the more modern Solid series. I still have my old MSX! I was thinking about buying a PS3 for MGS4. but have not played the third solid game. based on this timeline, I should be fine right?

3 is probably the most important game to play before 4. Just put it on easy and go through quick if you have to. 4 recalls both 3 and 1 a lot.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmedia2 /forum/post/14232402

You really want to know the events of the third Solid title. Really.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts
Pretty much what everyone said.

Grab the essentials collection for $30 and play em all again. If you've waited this long to grab MGS4, mise' well just play thru all three again, especially 3, and be up to date on the story.

I think 3 was even a better story then 4, but it did only edge it out a tad. For instance, the ending of 3 ties directly into the beginning of 4, and that's just a small part.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I agree with the others, MGS3 is the game to play before MGS4. They are all good and deserve to be played, it's just that MGS3 is most key to understanding 4. I also watched MGS: Portal Ops cinema collection on Youtube, and the story is about 5 years after the events of MGS3, and seems very interesting.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremy510 /forum/post/14232737

I would play them in release order (MGS, MGS2, MGS3) not chronologically. Like a lot of prequels, MGS3 features a lot of "oh wow" moments which you just won't get if you haven't played MGS and MGS2. Even though it is the first part of the story, there are a lot of references in MGS3 that assume you have played through MGS and MGS2.

This is correct. Prequels are often made on the assumption that you know what happens down the road and MGS3 is no exception.

MGS3 is an awesome game and one I recommend anybody interested in the series play.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I am going to go against the tide here.

Play the other games if you want to play the other games. But, if you just want the story, IMO, Kojima was self-indulgent enough to explain everything if you just pay attention to all of the cutscenes and then refer to the database when you have questions about specific people or events.

Now, none of this changes that the other games are easily worth playing just for their gaming value. But, if all you are looking for it to run through them as quickly as possible to get the story, I think that would be a waste of time.

·
Registered
10,450 Posts
I loved the original MGS. #2 is a big switch and a disappointment for me. I only got a couple hours in #3.

I just finished #4, and to confirm what others said... I didn't have deep knowledge of all 3 games and I was completely lost in places. I loved the strong references to the first game, and it made me appreciate the second a little more. But major plot points that I guess came from #3 put a big "?" over my head.

Still -- I liked #4 in spite of the looonnnggg and confusing plot. I wouldn't recommend it as an "interactive movie" to people who aren't deep into the series, but the video game portion is still pretty good.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This game is half game half movie IMO, and so like any movies that go into trilogy/ quadrilogy, there are people who say you can catch the last one and just fill in the gaps as you go but to really enjoy and appreciate these games I would recommend playing them and not just looking to fill in the story.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts