Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
deleted

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
August 22, 2005 - The Blu-ray Disc Association and DVD Forum announced that the negotiations to unify their standards had failed.

October 2005 - Warner Home Video and Paramount, early backers of HD-DVD, announce support for Blu-ray in addition to HD-DVD.

April 11, 2006 - Netfix announces they will carry the first HD-DVD titles on April 18th.

April 18, 2006 - HD DVD players relesed n the US priced at $499 and $799.

April 18, 2006 - The first HD DVD titles released were The Last Samurai, and The Phantom of the Opera by Warner Home Video and Serenity by Universal Studios. They have initial support from Warner Home Video and Universal Studios.

April 20, 2006 - Milion Dollar Baby released by Warner Home Video. 2 day delay due to replication issue.

May 23 2006 - Universal releases The Bourne Supremacy, first HD-DVD with interactive features.

May 29th, 2006 - Blu-ray titles appear on Netflix, Lord of War, The Punisher, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Swat, Saw, Species, Stealth, The Terminator.

May 30, 2006 - Parmount releases its first HD-DVD titles "Tomb Raider," "U2: Rattle & Hum" and "Four Brothers".

June 15, 2006 - The first BD-ROM players were shipped. Among the movie studios, Blu-ray Disc was initally supported in the United States by Sony Pictures Entertainment and MGM (20% of MGM's stake is owned by Sony) as well as Disney, Warner Home Video, 20th Century Fox, New Line Cinema and Lionsgate.

June 20, 2006 - The first Blu-ray Disc titles were released.

September 2006 - The first Blu-ray releases using the newer VC-1 and AVC codecs were introduced.

October 2006 - The first Blu-ray movies using dual layer discs (50 GB) were introduced.

November 2006 - The Microsoft HD DVD drive for the Xbox 360 game-console gives the Xbox 360 the ability to play HD DVD movies. The drive was announced with an MSRP of US$199 and includes a USB 2.0 cable for connection to the console. The first drives also included Peter Jackson's King Kong on HD DVD.

November 17, 2006 - PS3 is released in North America with its ability to play Blu-ray discs.

June 18th, 2007 - Blockbuster announces they will only carry Blu-ray at their stores with the exception of the 250 stores where they were testing with both formats. They announced 70 percent of the rentals were Blu-ray.

July 25, 2007 - Target Corporation announced they will carry Sony Blu-ray Disc stand alone players in their stores and promote them with end cap displays including exclusive Blu-ray Disc movies from Sony and Walt Disney. While Target will not carry HD DVD stand alone players on its shelves, the chain will continue to sell both Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD movies in all stores and HD DVD players online.

August 20, 2007 - Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures and DreamWorks Animation, announced they would no longer be supporting the Blu-ray Disc format making HD DVD exclusively backed by Universal Studios (including subsidiaries Focus Features and Rogue Pictures), Paramount Pictures (including subsidiaries Nickelodeon Movies, MTV Films, DreamWorks Pictures and DreamWorks Animation), and The Weinstein Company (including Dimension Films).

November 2007 - The Toshiba HD-A2 was the first high definition player, either HD DVD or Blu-ray, to be sold at a sale price of less than $100. This was done through several major retailers to make room for the new HD-A3 models. These closeout sales lasted less than a day each due to both limited quantities and high demand at that price point.

January 4, 2008 - Warner Home Video announced that they would discontinue HD DVD support as of June 1, 2008. Furthermore, they intend to delay remaining HD DVD titles until after standard DVD and Blu-ray releases.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Target is not blu exclusive. That was Sony FUD. Blockbuster is not really blu exclusive as well.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocko /forum/post/12913124

Can someone document the history of this war?

You can get many dates for this format war from the Wikipedia articles on Blu-ray and HD DVD . Also are you looking for just dates or are you looking for details as well? For instance I notice you mention the Paramount decision but technically speaking it was an 18 month $150 million business deal (reported on by the NYT, WSJ, and Business Weekly).

·
Registered
1,887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul /forum/post/12913403

You can get many dates for this format war from the Wikipedia articles on Blu-ray and HD DVD . Also are you looking for just dates or are you looking for details as well? For instance I notice you mention the Paramount decision but technically speaking it was an 18 month $150 million business deal (reported on by the NYT, WSJ, and Business Weekly).

Couldn't we say the same about the Warner $500 million business deal?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The Wikipedia entries are brief but surprisingly informative as to what actually took place before and during the early days of the format war. However they are also rather well balanced, so people with an axe to grind for the Red or Blu teams won't like them very much.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Channel /forum/post/12913580

Couldn't we say the same about the Warner $500 million business deal?

I have seen the 18 month $150 million Paramount/Dreamworks deal reported on by the NYT, WSJ, and Business Weekly while I have yet to see a news article about the Warner deal by any major news source. So far I have only seen the Warner deal mentioned on forums, blogs, and opinion pieces. To be fair some kind of deal probably did happen with Warner but it may be a while before we learn any of the details about it.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul /forum/post/12914227

I have seen the 18 month $150 million Paramount/Dreamworks deal reported on by the NYT, WSJ, and Business Weekly while I have yet to see a news article about the Warner deal by any major news source. So far I have only seen the Warner deal mentioned on forums, blogs, and opinion pieces. To be fair some kind of deal probably did happen with Warner but it may be a while before we learn any of the details about it.

Fair enough. Let's keep in mind that both sides have used financial incentives. Warner may have learned from previous lessons and is keeping a tighter lid on the details than others did.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08012/848675-96.stm

·
Registered
2,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 /forum/post/12913998

I agree, Wikipedia seems to have the most comprehensive on how the war developed and why.

They kinda skipped over how/why HDi and BD-J got adopted...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjack /forum/post/12914633

They kinda skipped over how/why HDi and BD-J got adopted...

Those were central issues to Microsoft and Sun. Do you believe that Toshiba and Sony were unable to come to a format compromise because of HDi vs. BD-J?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bump. Any one know what bray titles where released with the first bray consoles?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Actually, Warner delayed the release date of Million Dollar Baby on HD-DVD two days to April 20, 2006. It didn't ship with the other three titles, due to replication issues IIRC. Many retail outlets didn't have it till the following week. I think I may still have the press release somewhere.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Channel /forum/post/12914677

Those were central issues to Microsoft and Sun. Do you believe that Toshiba and Sony were unable to come to a format compromise because of HDi vs. BD-J?

No, I was merely pointing out indirectly that HDi was not the first choice for HD DVD.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul /forum/post/12914227

Also, Paramount has never denied receiving compensation for the switch, while Warner has stated that no money was involved in their decision. Of course Warner's wording could easily be taken as both sides offered large and most likely near equal financial incentives, yet they decided to go with the BDA for their stated reasons.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts