AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my Panny LCD died. I replace it with the new Hitachi 50 inch LCD and I am watching it and thinking...."This does not look that great". I look over to my wife who is not picky at all about PQ and I ask her what she thinks and her response: " Well, I didn't want to say anything because I know what you have been going thru on this tv situation, but the picture does not look very good" Then she says "The Panasonic looked alot better".


Here is what I am seeing on a cable analog feed. Keep in mind that the feed is very good and looked great on the Panny. I am seeing almost an out of focus image at time. If you look close at the set you can actually see the pixels flashing or blinking....hard to describe. On CNN, at the bottom of the screen where they have scrolling information in sentence form the letters look very distorted and they shimmer. In most general scenes the black does not show any problem, and it seems like it is just in the high contrast areas of the image. So, I think maybe this tv doesn't handle SD very good so I put in a DVD thru component inputs and a progressive scan player. The image is better but still shows weird fuzziness at certain points and in high contrast areas there is a shimmering.


I have tried all sorts of different combinations on the video setting menu to eliminate what I am seeing. I am able to decrease the problem somewhat with different combinations but it does not even come close to going away.

I have tried disconnecting other electrical devices in and around the power strip. I have tried plugging the tv directly into an outlet with no other device inputed to the same circuit. I really don't think this is an interference issue but I tried anyway.


At this point I am severely discouraged. What is the probability that a person gets two bad sets in a row from two different manufacturers. Maybe Mufusick is right............That killed me to say that but this situation really is starting to suck.


Any thoughts? Any repair people out there? Any Calibrators? UMR?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
474 Posts
manpig,


I've currently own the Panny Lcd and all I can say is I am thrilled with this TV. I was in circuit city the other day and they had the Hitachi LCD next to the Panasonic and also the Sammy DLP. All I can say is I do not know what others are seeing because the Panasonic had a much nicer picture than the Hitachi. I played with the Hitachi for a while and turned off all the enhancements but I was still left unimpressed with the picture. The picture seemed alot more grainy, maybe because it does not have a all digital pathway. I think alot of people on this forum are hung up with black levels, but the overall picture quality, brightness, and colors are amazing on the Panasonic. I also find buy turning down the brightness on the panasonic the black levels become much better. Hope everything works out for you and you are satisfied in the end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jkv4
manpig,


I've currently own the Panny Lcd and all I can say is I am thrilled with this TV. I was in circuit city the other day and they had the Hitachi LCD next to the Panasonic and also the Sammy DLP. All I can say is I do not know what others are seeing because the Panasonic had a much nicer picture than the Hitachi. I played with the Hitachi for a while and turned off all the enhancements but I was still left unimpressed with the picture. The picture seemed alot more grainy, maybe because it does not have a all digital pathway. I think alot of people on this forum are hung up with black levels, but the overall picture quality, brightness, and colors are amazing on the Panasonic. I also find buy turning down the brightness on the panasonic the black levels become much better. Hope everything works out for you and you are satisfied in the end.
JKV,


Yeah, the Panny looked awesome while it worked for me too. I have to think tho that the Hitachi should be close if not a bit better. It very well could be a defective set I am looking at.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
474 Posts
manpig,


Did you see one in the Circuit City store that you bought it from? Do you have a HD-931 DVD player. If so I would suggest you take it to the Circuit City and plug it in to Hitachi LCD and then try the Panny. The Hitachi is definitly not using a all digital pathway and you can defintly tell using this player. Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no I do not currently own a digital dvd player. I need to go back to CC and look closer to their display model on some different feeds if they will let me.

I think I can decide then if what I am seeing is model specific or a bad apple. If it is model specific, then I will trade it for another Panny I guess when they come in. Or maybe I will take the money and go to Rio and look at Thongs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by manpig
Maybe Mufusick is right............That killed me to say that but this situation really is starting to suck.

Anything but that......Mufusick cannot be right!!!!!!!! :p


Manpig buddy you must have bad charma or your wife is instructing the store to deliver bad tv's to discourage you so that she can take the money and go shopping. ;)


I am going on 3 weeks with my 50V and it is working like a charm! :D


The problems you are describing do sound like your set has something severely wrong inside. I watch CNN also and have not had a problem reading any of scroll bars or text windows. I can say for sure that I have not seen any shimmering. I watched 2 hours of SD through Tivo Wednesday night while doing some adjustments and never had a problem.


Good luck with the Sony GWIII :p


:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by PoolShark
Anything but that......Mufusick cannot be right!!!!!!!! :p


Manpig buddy you must have bad charma or your wife is instructing the store to deliver bad tv's to discourage you so that she can take the money and go shopping. ;)


I am going on 3 weeks with my 50V and it is working like a charm! :D


The problems you are describing do sound like your set has something severely wrong inside. I watch CNN also and have not had a problem reading any of scroll bars or text windows. I can say for sure that I have not seen any shimmering. I watched 2 hours of SD through Tivo Wednesday night while doing some adjustments and never had a problem.


Good luck with the Sony GWIII :p


:cool:
LMFAO..........who said anything about a GWIII? I know you like your set PoolShark, I have read all your posts on your set and it was one of the reasons I decided to even try this set. I still think this set is bad. It must be cuz if you were seeing what I am seeing you would be puking all over yourself. It is really that bad. Admitidly I am picky but my wife is not and she hates it too.


Right now if I were to rate the sets and I was to give the Panny a 10 as a reference point then I would rate this set I am seeing as a 5 or 6......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,975 Posts
Some people have all the luck :(. Sounds like you've definitely got another "problem" set to me as well. I finally got a chance to see one of these sets in good working order and when I first walked up to it it wasn't doing much for me at all. After about 15-20 minutes making basic adjustments it was looking pretty nice. This set had none of the problems that have been reported on some of the 50V500s. Unfortunately they had none of the other microdisplay sets on hand to really compare it with save a lone 43" Sammy about 50' away. It didn't look as sharp as some of the others I have seen but it was at CC and all gazillion of their sets were running the same CC demo feed so none of the sets in the store really looked that sharp. The set really does have excellent tweakage support outside of service menu level.


jkv4, when you compared the Hitachi vs Panny did you try adjusting the brightness way down (and contrast way up) on the Hitachi as well? In the limited futzing I did I found that gave very good black levels and color rendition. Without comparing side by side I think the Hitachi *may* not be quite as bright as the Panny/Sammy sets but it still seemed very good. The Hitachi did seem to look a bit more grainy but I think that may be in part due to the less-fine screen pitch maybe. OTOH, every Panny I've looked at in various stores seems to have a less "even" screen showing very faint vertical bars of lightness/darkness (not screen door) across the whole screen. Trade offs... Clearly none of these things are perfect so it's pretty much a matter of choosing the lesser of the evils that matter most to you.


ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I will trade this Hitachi for another one and see if the problem goes away. If not then I will trade for another Panny. How do you think CC will like me then? They will probably pay me to shop at Sears or BB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
When you talk to the CC guy why don't you ask him 'who's your Daddy?'... :D


Someone should be looking for open box specials at your local CC, Manpig. Too bad I don't live in Texas. I'd have many sets to choose from when/if I need to replace my Sammy...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by marcInNH
When you talk to the CC guy why don't you ask him 'who's your Daddy?'... :D


Someone should be looking for open box specials at your local CC, Manpig. Too bad I don't live in Texas. I'd have many sets to choose from when/if I need to replace my Sammy...
Now that was funny! I can see it now: CC has this big azzed tent out in the parking lot with like 50 sets underneath....the sign on the tent reads:


"MANPIG TV CLEARANCE SALE"


It would be like owning a car that a movie star once owned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by manpig
I think I will trade this Hitachi for another one and see if the problem goes away. If not then I will trade for another Panny. How do you think CC will like me then? They will probably pay me to shop at Sears or BB.
Something's wrong. Get a different Hitachi. If it still doesn't do it for you, come back to the Pannasonic side! We'll accept you home with open arms and won't judge you for wanting to see how others live. We may give a few "I told you so's". :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by klemsaba
Something's wrong. Get a different Hitachi. If it still doesn't do it for you, come back to the Pannasonic side! We'll accept you home with open arms and won't judge you for wanting to see how others live. We may give a few "I told you so's". :D
Klem,


I have to know for my own peace of mind if it is the set. You already know I loved my Panny. I am willing to sacrifice my sanity for the sake of the LCD club. Everyone will need to send me a bottle of whiskey when this ordeal is over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Manpig,


Does this mean you are now a undecided HitaPanHo? Wish you get a better set next time. Have you contact CC yet? They must have call blocked your number!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fouriz,


No damn wonder I can't get thru to those #@$#@.


Signed,


Pannywhore/HitachiHo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
678 Posts
Not trying to add any fuel to your fire manpig (hmm maybe if its whisky you'd enjoy it lol) but I looked the hitachi next to the panny and the samsung and my opinion was the panny and samsung were very close in picture quality(give the samsung the edge though) and the hitachi was not nearly as good and that was with all receiving the same HD signal.. I'm leaning towards the sammy for it's cab. size will fit better but would be happy with either.. my advise it take it back with CC's return policy and go for the panny or sammy....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,407 Posts
Manpig,


See if you can plug your DVD player into the set using svideo and change your player to non progressive scan. This can be your base point. This will be similar to a digital analog signal. Its not analog, but its as close as you're going to get.


Take the DVD player to CC and connect it the same to see the difference. This would a lot quicker and give you a quick comparison to see how it behaves with a SD signal.


Yesterday, I went over to Sears and was able to adjust the Hitachi to look very good with their feed, whatever that is. I'm still unable to check out the set with analog cable.


Also check into reseating the bulb.


Good luck with all this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Manpig,

Do not pass go. Go straight back to the Panny. Forget the Hibachi.


It seems to me that since you were happy with the Panny PQ and the only reason you ended up with the 'bachi was that the Panny died, so why risk PQ problems now?


This is Hitachi's first go-round with an LCD, while it is Panny's second, and they ought to have learned how to make a decent LCD since the last time with the LC12's.


Why, they might even learn how to make a decent DLP after their last fiasco with the flickering DLP sets. :D


My 2 cents

Cheers,

nhb007
 
1 - 20 of 116 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top