Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a fact, just a dream.

A plasma display, 3 feet tall, 7.5 feet wide, with resolution displaying 360 lines per foot, so 1080 pixels vertical resolution by 2700 pixels horizontal resolution, and an aspect ratio of 2.5:1. A digital input of all sources.

Included with the display is a DVD player/scaler/receiver with digital out, and the capability of automatically scaling all picture sources to have a consistent height of 3 feet.

So 4:3 sources, like television, would appear in the center of the display, 3 feet tall, 4 feet wide (and the display could include a kind of PIP, 2 side by side 4:3 pictures, slightly reduced in size).

16:9 sources would be 3 feet tall and 5'4" wide. 2.35:1 sources would be 3 feet tall and 7 feet wide.

To the left and right of the picture would be empty screen, perhaps wavy gray "bars" to prevent burn-in, but the display would include a metal cover, which could be opened and closed automatically according to the AR, to frame the picture perfectly. No bars would be visible top and bottom, and none left and right with the cover properly positioned.

On top of the display would be a metal box, the entire length of the display, with a grilled-front, containing 3 speakers, left, center, right. Surround speakers and subwoofers could be accessories.

The beauty of this scheme is that wider films would actually be wider, and everyone would want widescreen sources, and the best possible resolution for them.

Retail price: $1,000, not including extra speakers.

Just a dream, sorry.

:)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No replies, from all you readers?

Then I'll reply myself.

My dream doesn't concern itself with the actual technology involved. I have no idea whether it is feasible in plasma, OLED, or what. It doesn't matter to me, as long as it is bright, clear, colorful, and lasts 50 years, and uses a single watt of electricity.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, now we're getting silly.

But my dream isn't a science fiction fantasy. It COULD be realized. It isn't so farfetched, except maybe the price. I typed it in here in the hopes that Fujitsu or Panasonic gets on the stick.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Sydney
You must have the day off of work and are very bored.

LOL
I'm at work, actually, in NYC, and our air conditioning isn't working.

So, I'm a bit... blithery, it's true.

LQOI

(laughing quietly on the inside)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing my dream would solve: the OAR wars.

I like to see stuff in widescreen aspect ratios, but it often seems in direct conflict with my need to see clear, bright, highly resolved pictures on the 27" 4:3 television. Widescreen means wider, bigger, more encompassing pictures. Widescreen on television means smaller, less resolved pictures, and possible burn-in from unused pixels.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'd say your dream is achievable except for the price. Larger plasmas will never cost only $1000 (even in real dollars). Not even in 10 years. Even good 36" direct views cost over a grand still, and that technology is 50 years old. I predict the 50 ichers will bottom out somwhere around $2000-$3500 and stabilize. 42 inches maybe at $1500-$2000. Larger sizes will relate to those price ranges.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with you about the price. It's the one true pie in the sky item in my dream.

But part of the dream is changing the needs and desires of consumers. If I made my display happen, at that price, it's just expensive enough to seem like a quality item, and just cheap enough that presumably everyone would want one, bypassing all the other type displays, and different sizes. This would become the RV of home theater equipment, and as such, would change how everyone feels about television, aspect ratios, 1080p, etc.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Good post.

I have another strange one... I want customer tailor-made plasma!

They do not have to mass produce it. Just do it for the people who want it and can pay for it.

Lets see.. me wants 1080 progressive at about 75". Just let me know how much.

I know, I know.. it would cost something like >$40,000 today. But I bet you they can sell about 15-20 per year nationwide. Some people are really rich you know.

Now, they can cut the 50" plasma glasses a litter bigger until they reach 1080 lines. Be it 67" - 75". They have the glass. Dead pixel issue is important since they cut the glass certain way to minimize that, hence the higher cost.

To have good mechanical strength, make it about 6" - 8" thin. I'll accept that.

Best,

MAB

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Princess: Care to share with us what you know and where you learned it?

Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts
Panasonic dropped the price

And the distributors did accordingly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.