AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This movie has some interiors shot with fairly hight contrast, and I'd like to know how these scenes are rendered on other users' CRT projectors.

In the early part of the film, Nicole Kidman as Virginia Woolf has a discussion with her husband. The light source is nominally the window behind her husband, and so in her closeups she is primarily lit from the front, while he is primarily backlit.

My question is, on your projector, how much detail can you see behind her? I've set up my projector using Video Essentials PLUGE pattern, but this scene appears "plugged up" on my projector. Basically, I see her, set against a very dark background with no detail.

If I reference the scene on my 13" CRT monitor (also calibrated), I can make out more detail (the horizontal lines of the stairs behind her, some backlighting separating her from the murkiness, etc.)

I'm trying to understand why I'm missing the shadow detail on my projector. Calibration? Source DVD player (Momitsu v880, 720P)? The difference between projection and direct view monitors?

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
CRT's being non-linear display devices, need gamma correction to get them to display a logarithmic gray scale at the proper levels. You could check this out if you had an HTPC by adjusting the gamma control in the overlay settings. Generally, if there is picture information above 7.5 IRE units, it can be made to (and should) display on your projector with some gamma processing. If you bring up the brightness control on your monitor and see NO additional information, you don't have to ask, because NOBODY ELSE is displaying it either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.