AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got in a Hewlett Packard Core 2 Duo PC with a built in HD DVD drive at the store I work at yesterday. I don't know the exact model number but it was sporting an e6400, 2 gb ram, and a 7600 gt dvi-hdcp compliant video card. One of my co workers was in charge of putting it on display and tried to hook it up to a 24" Acer LCD (1900x1200) and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working with a DVI--> DVI connection. He was getting a "protected content" error He then proceeds to call me over (this is when I found out we had the system) and I tell him that this $800 monitor with more resolution than a 1080p TV simply will not play because it isn't HDCP compliant.

I then proceeded to bring over the sceptre 22" HDCP compliant monitor and hooked it up the same way. Same copy protection error. The Sceptre 22" is only HDCP compliant through the HDMI port. So I grab an HDMI-->DVI cable and hook it up and you can guess what comes next.

Yep. Our old friend horrible overscan.

Not to mention crummy looking text. We played the movie anyways and saw nothing but horrible picture quality and red sparkles everywhere. To top it off, HP did something wacky with the NVIDIA control panel forcing the end user to go through some utterly pointless and hard to use wizard interface (made harder to use by the overscan). Eventually, I gave up with the interface and decided to run the DVI->HDMI to plasma that was right next to the computer (55" Hitachi). This worked a little better but overscan was still an issue. I just set the windows resolution to 1366x768 and let her rip. Much better than the Sceptre but it didn't look anywhere near as sharp as my A1 at home running to my Panny 42".

In fact, one of my other co workers who was just watching over this (and who was getting his first taste of hd dvd other than my rave reviews about the format) thought the quality looked HORRIBLE and I couldn't say I disagree. Considering this guy is just about to buy his first High Def TV, I wasn't too pleased with what he and other customers saw.

I'm going to take in some new NVIDIA drivers on a flash drive and see if that helps. Any other suggestions would be helpful on how to get this thing working properly.

HP REALLY dropped the ball on this one. They took an already complicated situation and found a way to make it even MORE complicated. A lot of J6P will buy this PC (it's pretty cheap by pre-built high end PC standards) and throw in the bundled copy of Bourne just to find out it won't display on their non-hdcp compliant computer monitors. Those that try to hook it up via DVI-->HDMI to a TV will be greeted by horrible overscan and probably think their TV is broken. It frustrated the heck out of me and I read up and do stuff like this everyday. What chance does J6P have?

My guess is that this setup will work easily if one has and HDCP compliant 1080p DVI port on their TV/Monitor. Unfortunately, that eliminates most if not all of the popular plasma TVs on the market and the vast majority of HDTVs in people's homes today.

HP.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Overscan over HDMI? How do know that's not the TV's fault?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike-Air /forum/post/0

Use the VGA cable on the 24" ACER...easiest way to get around any HDCP troubles

The Computer only has Dual DVI-D out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/0

Overscan over HDMI? How do know that's not the TV's fault?

I wouldn't be suprised if it is. It is just the fact that it is a common issue with TVs running PCs over HDMI and HP could have put in a simple overscan adjustment feature in the setup software (after much digging, I did find nvidia's which did solve some of the issue).

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
HDMI defaut Overscan setting is 5% all around, some dislay have an option to play with it, other don't ..

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Let me understand this - you take a state of the art hdcp compliant PC, try connecting it to various monitors and TV's in a store, experience some difficulties, start messing around with drivers, then you go on a public forum and declare the PC a total nightmare. Were you expecting it to work like a stand alone player? How does it compare to other PC's with HD-DVD capability that you've tried?

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Make sure that only the primary display is enabled. Do not use extended display or dual mode with a secondary display. Also try running this tool .

·
Registered
2,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabillyhop /forum/post/0

Let me understand this - you take a state of the art hdcp compliant PC, try connecting it to various monitors and TV's in a store, experience some difficulties, start messing around with drivers, then you go on a public forum and declare the PC a total nightmare. Were you expecting it to work like a stand alone player? How does it compare to other PC's with HD-DVD capability that you've tried?

Working as a standalone player SHOULD be a reasonable expectation. I find it unbelievable that we accept the garbage PC manufacturers put out as normal or acceptable. If it was car that behaved this way people would flip and that car company would probably go bankrupt.

If microsoft wants a media center in every living room they have a long way to go...

·
Registered
6,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro /forum/post/0

Working as a standalone player SHOULD be a reasonable expectation. I find it unbelievable that we accept the garbage PC manufacturers put out as normal or acceptable. If it was car that behaved this way people would flip and that car company would probably go bankrupt.

If microsoft wants a media center in every living room they have a long way to go...

I've seen this PC in action at my local Future Shop, and it is VERY nice. You just need to make sure that if you connect it via DVI to another display that the display must be HDCP compliant, and that it is the primary display (no secondary or extended displays can be enabled).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.