AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just moved into a new house; the viewing / listening space is 13W x 27L x 9H - it's a "Great Room" config with dining nook and kitchen behind. A new sub is required anyhow - the old one shorted out.

My listening habits are probably 75% music - 25% TV/films. I can appreciate what a good subwoofer adds to movies, but rarely am allowed to really crank it.

Based on a few local-retailer auditions (PSB, Paradigm, M&L)- methinks at least a 12" sub is called for. I've been blown away at the sound from these subs when tested against a few of my test CDs.

Bang-for-the-buck in the $600-ish range, will I be doing okay with a HSU VTF-2 MK 3 or should I bite the bullet for the VTF-3??

·
Registered
534 Posts
I am far from an expert but from spending far too much time reading these forums, other people will tell you that you should get as big as you can afford (I think the VTF3 is on sale right now along with the VTF2). You are probably also going to be told to just up your budget by a couple of hundred dollars so you can consider Epik or some of the bigger Elemental Designs subs. My opinion is worth very little (trust me on this), but with your size room when just considering the HSU subs, I'd go for the VTF3 MK3

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
75% music+ large room= HSU VTF-3

·
Registered
809 Posts
Stick with the VTF-2/3, it will fill up a room of your size easily unless it is open to another

area. A VTF-2/3 is good up to an area of 4500 cu ft, a VTF-3/3 up to 6000 cu ft. I have

both, and they are fine subs....if the dining nook and kitchen puts it over 5 or 6 thousand

feet, then consider the 3/3 which is now on sale. Also both are very musical subs.

Good look, vardo

·
Registered
4,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardo /forum/post/18142618

Stick with the VTF-2/3, it will fill up a room of your size easily unless it is open to another

area. A VTF-2/3 is good up to an area of 4500 cu ft, a VTF-3/3 up to 6000 cu ft. I have

both, and they are fine subs....if the dining nook and kitchen puts it over 5 or 6 thousand

feet, then consider the 3/3 which is now on sale. Also both are very musical subs.

Good look, vardo

I origanally had dual VTF-3/3's with dual MBM-12's in a 6000+ cu ft room that was unsealed. That is what it took to get the bass that I wanted at the time.

Bill

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm on the fence 'tween the VTF-2 and VTF-3. Based on sheer room volume, the 2 should suffice. But in addition; there is a hallway entrance off to one side which I assume adds to the "open space".

I'm probably asking this of the wrong folks, but is the extra $$ (doubles the shipping cost as well) for the VTF-3 money well spent? In the smaller preview rooms of dealers, larger subs from the same mfg always seem to be able to go "musically lower" more cleanly that their 10" counterparts (pardon my noob jargon)

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
The reason you got the recommendation for the larger sub is we all have been through the same questions. It is usually better to get a higher end sub if you are "on the fence" for two reasons.

1) it will be the better sub.

But most important:

2) It eliminates the question 6 months from now>> "I wonder if I should have bought the better sub?"

There are alot of forum members here that have not gone that route and you see them come back in a year and start researching again for "That Better Sub"

But if you really want the VTF-2 get it. It always has to come down to your budget. But be careful, if you do, because you will be wanting a second one soon.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I agree with the general consensus. The HSU will do great.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek /forum/post/18146702

but if you really want the vtf-2 get it. It always has to come down to your budget. But be careful, if you do, because you will be wanting a second one soon.

happy hunting.
So as with almost everything, it's pay more now or pay even MORE later eh?

I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I'm sure you'll love it. Just take the time to get it placed in the room properly and well integrated with your speakers. You have a few days until delivery to read up.

BTW, what kind of speakers and amp are you pairing it with?

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Congrats Bud,

You have seen the light then. This was my same thinking when I was upgrading. Buy the best subwoofer you can.

That is why I now own a HSU ULS-15 Dual Drive system and added them to my two older Velodynes for a four sub system. We do not watch movies we experience them.
I also listen to at least 50% music and I like how accurate the HSU subs are.

Enjoy you should have it before the weekend. They ship fast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Normally I'd troll on my own for the info but my week is jammed already - could you point me towards the right place to bone up on the integration?

My placement options are somewhat limited given that large sub enclosure, but the folks at Hsu have given me some tips already.

I'm pairing with Denon AVR-590 w/ PSB Alpha L+R+C ... no surrounds as yet.

P.S. .. yes I have seen the light - apparently it's coming from the large hole in my bank account!!

·
Registered
8,103 Posts

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Gort69 - a late welcome to the forum. I didn't realize from a earlier post that I made to you that you are in Seattle. I lived in Ballard for 33 years before moving down here to Olympia.

Bill

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.