AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just doing a contiuation of Patrick's thread that got out of control and was closed. I loved the responses on that thread and there would been more helpful contributions if things didn't get hectic ;-).

Anyway, I have the Onkyo S-790 ordered from CC using the 10% coupon making it a total of $386 inlc CA taxes but am still wondering if I can get a similar custom setup for about the same price range $350-$450.

Would a incomplete custom setup (consisting of AVR, Sub, 2 fronts) BUT of better quality produce better sound than the full 7.1 S790? Of course, the surrounds would be lacking in the incomplete set but would the better low-midrange bass offset the surround difference.

Whatever setup I eventually end up with is going to be for my new house but after talking to the builder this weekend, it appears they screwed up the colors for my cabinets/countertop and now they'are re-doing everything so I have yet another 2 months before I can move-in. The upside is that if I go for a custom build, I have more than ample time to get good deals on individual components.

This is what I dug from my research to battle the S790 so let me know if u guys can come up with something better
. I know Im talking 2.1 vs 7.1 but its all about quality rather than quantity, right?

AVR- Onkyo 504 [$170]

2 X Fronts- Athena AS-B1.2 [$119]

Sony SA-WM250 powered sub [$90]

What do ya all say? Would such a system produce same/better sound than the S790?

Ray

PS: Please note if u claim a 'XXX' setup is better, then it'd be helpful if can list exact components/prices to back it up.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster /forum/post/0

Would a incomplete custom setup (consisting of AVR, Sub, 2 fronts) BUT of better quality produce better sound than the full 7.1 S790?

yes, quality over quantity is key.

you're on the right track here, though i would probably go with a different sub. look for the athena P400 or P4000. both discontinued, but were available for $150 brand new previously. you might be able to find a great closeout or ebay deal right now. alternatively the dayton subs from partsexpress have been popular with the HTIB-alternative crowd. i think the 10" model goes for $125.

however, far and away the best sub in this class is the 12" Bic H-100 for around $220. i know it is a bit over budget, but by most reports has best in class performance.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I agree also the Athena B1s would be a much better choice for speakers than the included 790 packaged speakers. I would choose a different sub though. For current on market subs the Bic H-100 at $200 can't be beat, I woudln't go any lower than that. As G-Star mentioned above if you can find eather the Athena AS-P4000 or P400 which have been discontinued in the $150 range that would be a good pick also. Any higher than that I'd hold out for the Bic. IMO forget the Dayton, attractive price but I tried it and it SUCKED, boomy and one noted. I'd rather have stuck with my HTIB sub than replaced it with the Dayton.

Since you've already ordered the 790 package I'd keep it until your ready for the upgrade. It includes a receiver which is the equivilant as the 504 so you're getting the same receiver.

When you've saved and are ready to upgrade the speakers and sub you can Ebay the 790 ones as a set. I did this with the 580 sub/speakers and was amazed what they brought. Use that plus what you've saved to complete the setup with the Athenas and Bic/or other sub. Dollar wise you'll come out about the same in the end as if you started out buying seperates and you can use the system while you upgrade and then you can see for yourself what a difference it makes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What I was looking at was the Athena B1.2s and a Velodyne VX-10 sub for $170 from Vann's. The Dayton Sub-100 and Sub-120 (10" and 12") also look good for $125 or $150 plus shipping. I wasn't able to find the Bic H-100 for anything less than $280 shipped ($250 + $30 shipping). I was pretty well set on the B1.2s, though, if I went 2.1. The only problem with getting those, though, was there was no matching smaller "satellite" speaker to go with them come 5.1 upgrade time. It seems like they're designed for a 6.1 system with a matching rear center speaker.

I hope ieatplasma doesn't come in and blow this thread like he did mine. It's got great potential for some real good discussion on actual solutions to real situations a lot of people in this forum find themselves in. I'd recommend a quick read through my original thread, too. afrogt and G-star (and a couple others) had some great suggestions and other contributions in that thread. It's well worth a read.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick707 /forum/post/0

What I was looking at was the Athena B1.2s and a Velodyne VX-10 sub for $170 from Vann's. The Dayton Sub-100 and Sub-120 (10" and 12") also look good for $125 or $150 plus shipping. I wasn't able to find the Bic H-100 for anything less than $280 shipped ($250 + $30 shipping). I was pretty well set on the B1.2s, though, if I went 2.1. The only problem with getting those, though, was there was no matching smaller "satellite" speaker to go with them come 5.1 upgrade time. It seems like they're designed for a 6.1 system with a matching rear center speaker.

I hope ieatplasma doesn't come in and blow this thread like he did mine. It's got great potential for some real good discussion on actual solutions to real situations a lot of people in this forum find themselves in. I'd recommend a quick read through my original thread, too. afrogt and G-star (and a couple others) had some great suggestions and other contributions in that thread. It's well worth a read.

The VX-10 is a good choice in the $150 range. I would recommend looking past the Daytons though, great prices but I tried the 12" and was very disappointed, it's one noted and boomy. The Bic H-100 is the best choice in this price area and you can find it for around $200 shipped on ebay through the authroized dealer "acousticsounddesign" they have a make an offer option on the auctions in which many have been accepted at $200 or a few bucks more, would total around $235 shipped.

If your looking for smaller speakers to go with the Athena B1.2s keep an eye out on ebay for the S.5. They are the smaller bookshelf speakers that went with the point5 system before it was discontinued and great speakers and they are made to be matched with the audition series, should be able to pick them up around $50 a pair, you'll just have to keep looking but I see them qute often on ebay.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/0

If your looking for smaller speakers to go with the Athena B1.2s keep an eye out on ebay for the S.5. They are the smaller bookshelf speakers that went with the point5 system before it was discontinued and great speakers and they are made to be matched with the audition series, should be able to pick them up around $50 a pair, you'll just have to keep looking but I see them qute often on ebay.

yep, this is what i went with. great satellites to use as surrounds with the audition series up front. they come with great mounting brackets, and i've seen great deals on ebay...keep an eye out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.