AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The HTPC Plus Project is all about setting up a very fine Home Theater PC plus stuff that you wouldn't find in most HTPC's.

The last couple of years I played a lot around with different hardware setup's and home theatre software, like XP Microsoft Mediacenter, Mediaportal, XBMC. This is my latest HTPC project and I am pretty happy with it. You'll find on www.htpcplus.com all the required steps for assembling and setting up such a system.

I am more than happy with my HTPC Plus, it has replaced my:
  • HD satellite receiver (Kathrein UFS-920)
  • DVD player (Pioneer DVD 454)
  • Receiver (Pioneer DVD-2011)

Because I got a pretty good price for these components I was able to buy all the components for the HTPC Plus almost without any additional costs !

For the project I used following components:
  • Case: Antec Fusion Remote
  • Motherboard: MSI-7411 with the 5 channel x 100W card also now as MSI Media Live DIVA 5.1
  • CPU: AMD 5050E
  • CPU cooler: Scythe Ninja
  • PSU: Corsair VX450 450 Watt
  • DVD R/W: NEC AD-7200 S-ATA
  • Memory: OCZ Memory Dual Channel 2 GB, PC6400
  • Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
  • Remote: Logitech Harmony 885 (re-use)
  • HDD: Samsung HD735LJ 750GB (re-use)
  • Satelite TV card: Digital Everywhere FireDTV DVB-S2

The hart of the HTPC plus is a unique motherboard of MSI. The MSI Media Live Diva is a board with just one purpose, to build a state of the art HTPC. What makes it so special you might think? Remember the plus in the HTPC project? The plus I added because this board it is possible to directly hook up your 5.1 sound speakers and woofer direct to your HTPC so you don't need a receiver anymore.. and damn it sounds great.

The board is a cooperation between AMD and MSI. The unique concept of this board is based on AMD's Maui design of which the MSI Media Live Diva is the first one to use it. You will find a tread on this board here .

The software setup is based on Vista MCE.

Although the project isn't finished yet (I wonder if a HTPC project ever will end) you can follow the build and find more details on www.htpcplus.com . Although still some subjects are not ready on the site I wish you a pleasant build

·
Registered
38 Posts
How are you playing back Blu Ray's? Any support for .iso's?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo541 /forum/post/15567749

How are you playing back Blu Ray's? Any support for .iso's?

Have to add this part but my ripped movies are not in .iso but in VIDEO_TS format. I think a combination of Daemon tools in combination with MyMovies will do the trick

For Blu Rays I use Arcsoft Total Media Theatre.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Nice setup, but I'm confused....

"Home Theater PC plus stuff"

What stuff are we talking here?? This is all standard HTPC stuff...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/15569173

Nice setup, but I'm confused....

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/15569173

"Home Theater PC plus stuff"

What stuff are we talking here?? This is all standard HTPC stuff...

I added the plus because the HTPC is also replacing my receiver, so I could directly hook up my passive 5.1 speaker system to my HTPC. Not many HTPC will do that..

·
Registered
164 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your detail illustration of hardware installation in the Antec Fusion Remote. I'm planning to use this case and there were issues with the VFD/LCD(?) display wirings reported elsewhere in this forum.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
No offense, but that comment is without merit. You apparently have not heard the audio quality coming out of this platform.

Try checking with others that actually have it before you start slamming the product.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Have you found a way to switch/decode external audio sources? If I can't plug in my Xbox 360 into the HTPC and hear 5.1 sounds real-time, I don't see the purpose of removing the receiver...

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Win 7 enables it. The AV Control app that has been developed also works, but not yet released to the public. Hopefully, that will be resolved soon.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have a very good receiver you have the choice of keeping it and hooking it up to your HTPC. If you want to do this there are lots of good HTPC choices for that.

If you want less HTPC gear, or haven't yet a good receiver this setup is an excellent choice and will provide you with great quality audio. I find it even better than the sound that I got out of my Pioneer D2011 receiver. This was by the way a 1000 Euro receiver, 4 years ago.

Just to say "in my opinion replacing receiver with this "amplifier" card is rather minus than plus" and "agreed" without any arguments doesn't add much to the discussion. Of course this HTPC plus isn't for everyone the best choice but I think that it is an option which is worth to consider for most people that want to build their own HTPC.

On the input site, I haven't any inputs connected (sold my satellite receiver and DVD player) and I haven't a WII or XBox so I cannot comment on that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello MagicJurgen,

Question: You say you use the Antec Case because it has

Form factor m-ATX wich is used by the MSI media live DIVA motherboard. But if i'm looking at the case pictures and compare the mainboard picture. I can't see how the outside onnectors will fit into the case. As you say you have build this setup. I was wondering how you have implemented this. ?? any pictures will be fine...

Also the same question on the CPU you used. You say the AMD 5050e with Scythe Nynja but on the MSI site there no match in the complinance list.

Michel

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelk /forum/post/15584997

Hello MagicJurgen,

Question: You say you use the Antec Case because it has

Form factor m-ATX wich is used by the MSI media live DIVA motherboard. But if i'm looking at the case pictures and compare the mainboard picture. I can't see how the outside onnectors will fit into the case. As you say you have build this setup. I was wondering how you have implemented this. ?? any pictures will be fine...

Also the same question on the CPU you used. You say the AMD 5050e with Scythe Nynja but on the MSI site there no match in the complinance list.

Michel

I hope to get the photo's online today. For the outside connector, the board comes with an additional IO/panel. Regarding the Ninja, it's the Ninja Mini. Just fits below the topplate of the case.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Photo's of the build are online now. Next will be audio setup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
recieved the hardware components today. Odered them by alternate.nl . (within 2 days deliverd!.).

I installed the big fan type instead of the small one you used. When I run it fanless the cpu tempature is goint to 50degree's and still going up. I think you can't run it fanless. How your cpu tempature ??

And did you have setup the RAID feature ? Did you had trouble with the vista raid driver detection ? I have...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelk /forum/post/15611844

recieved the hardware components today. Odered them by alternate.nl . (within 2 days deliverd!.).

I installed the big fan type instead of the small one you used. When I run it fanless the cpu tempature is goint to 50degree's and still going up. I think you can't run it fanless. How your cpu tempature ??

Temperature is at top 60degrees with both Antec Case fans running at low.

And did you have setup the RAID feature ? Did you had trouble with the vista raid driver detection ? I have...[/quote]

I have a single drive, this was recognised by Vista but I loaded the drivers that came whith te board when installing Vista, including the LAN driver. So Vista was able to load updated drivers during install.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes I was just about to tell you that I have some trouble with the RAID feature also.

When i enable the raid feature in the bios I can't install vista because of a dvd driver error. I don't know if the firmware update 1.20 will fix this. But meanwhile i installed it without the raid feature. After playing around a while i think that it will be solved and then i will reinstall vista with raid 1 enabled. Did you have it working yet.

Michel

·
Registered
38 Posts
Finally im Finding my some information on this receiver business.

Does that receiver replacement card available for purchase? I want to replace my philips HTS3100 receiver and have opened a thread for help (fell on deaf ears).

So can anyone direct me to from were I can buy this card for an intel platform? 10x

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salnitro /forum/post/15639092

Finally im Finding my some information on this receiver business.

Does that receiver replacement card available for purchase? I want to replace my philips HTS3100 receiver and have opened a thread for help (fell on deaf ears).

So can anyone direct me to from were I can buy this card for an intel platform? 10x

The D2Audio add on card is only to be used with the MSI-7411 Motherboard. There is a special chip on this motherboard that interacts with the add-on card. If you're stuck to the Intel platform you have to look for a dedicated soundcard.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts