AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opens November 22.

This one should be good. I read the book in January, and it should be on par, if not better, than The Hunger Games.

I finished the final installment, Mockingjay, last month. I found Monkingjay to be anticlimactic, a bit slow, and disappointing. I breezed through Catching Fire, but it took much longer to finish Mockingjay.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I know this much from the trailer, the visuals and cinematography looks much better than the 1st one mostly from the direction of Francis Lawrence of I am Legend. Other than that, I'm not really holding my breath for it, I'll cue it up when it's released but the 1st one didn't really do much for me. I still think the premise of kids killing kids is kinda stupid and it takes a lot of creative writing to make it believable and watchable.

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67  /t/1468544/the-hunger-games-2-catching-fire-teaser-trailer-2013#post_23211219

I still think the premise of kids killing kids is kinda stupid and it takes a lot of creative writing to make it believable and watchable.

Not just kids killing kids in this one. This is the 75th Hunger Games. It is a "Quarter Quell:" an event that occurs every 25 years, where 24 victors from previous years compete once again. They even have an octogenarian.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens  /t/1468544/the-hunger-games-2-catching-fire-teaser-trailer-2013#post_23211437

Not just kids killing kids in this one. This is the 75th Hunger Games. It is a "Quarter Quell:" an event that occurs every 25 years, where 24 victors from previous years compete once again. They even have an octogenarian.

don't think i'd put any money down on the octo.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
The first film was one of the best adaptations of a blockbuster novel that I've seen in a while. The shaky cam was ridiculous at moments, but the writing and overall direction was very well done. As were the performances by the entire cast, particularly Jennifer Lawrence and Elizabeth Banks. Read the books and enjoyed them all. Very much looking forward to the rest of the trilogy.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The first movie was so-so - like a Cole's Notes, glossed over version of the book; not anywhere near as gritty. Compared to the novel, the events Katniss experienced in the Cornucopia in the film felt like a day at the beach. Most of the elements of danger, fear and brutality were stripped bare. And the CGI was pretty blah. I loved the books, btw.

Hopefully, this one will do a better job.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
thought hunger games was emminently watchable movie.

not great, but better than most..

look forward to ep 2

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
It's 4 weeks until the movies release - anyone excited? I guess there aren't too many forum members that are teenage girls

A recently released featurette (I can't link to youtube at the moment as I'm at work) revealed that the IMAX presentation for this movie will switch between aspect ratios (similar to TDK).
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Specifically, when the Games' participants enter the Cornucopia

Catching Fire will also be available in Dolby Atmos mix.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I didn't catch the first movie until late (a month or so ago) and actually liked it a lot better than I thought I would. Enough to the point where I'm interested in the next installment. I can't say I'm excited but I am interested and will likely catch this one at the theater. Saw the trailer last night and looked pretty good....and consistent.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster  /t/1468544/the-hunger-games-2-catching-fire-teaser-trailer-2013#post_23875156

It's 4 weeks until the movies release - anyone excited? I guess there aren't too many forum members that are teenage girls

A recently released featurette (I can't link to youtube at the moment as I'm at work) revealed that the IMAX presentation for this movie will switch between aspect ratios (similar to TDK).
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Specifically, when the Games' participants enter the Cornucopia

Catching Fire will also be available in Dolby Atmos mix.

While making no judgment call at all, what does it say about us that

the only blockbuster franchise with a female lead generates zero interest on avs

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Movie tickets are too damn high...

So I'll be waiting, like I did for the first one, for it to come out on BD.

Not to get too far ahead, but I read the other day they are going to make the final installment, Mockingjay, into two parts (11/14 and 11/15). So the trend of milking TV shows as long as they can (Lost, Mad Men, etc., etc.) flows over into movie making. I thought Mockingjay, while good, was anticlimactic. There were times I thought it moved too slowly until the shin hits the fan. I can’t imagine how they will expand a book with the same amount of pages as the first two into two movies unless they do a lot of additional writing. The first two films run around 2:22, so if they half the third, we would be looking at 1:11. We know that isn’t going to happen, so I think we are talking about a major rewrite. That may or may not be good, but in any case I don’t like this trend.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
wow

darker, deeper themes

Intense

Better acted, way better directed.

should top the box for all releases this year

This is no chick flick

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Just got back from watching it in ATMOS. I thought a few scenes in the film sounded awesome in ATMOS! Especially the training room scene where Jennifer Lawrence's character is training with her bow.

Just glad it didn't have the shaky cam (as bad) like the first one! Check it out for sure!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin  /t/1468544/the-hunger-games-2-catching-fire-teaser-trailer-2013#post_23985365

Just got back from watching it in ATMOS. I thought a few scenes in the film sounded awesome in ATMOS! Especially the training room scene where Jennifer Lawrence's character is training with her bow.

Just glad it didn't have the shaky cam (as bad) like the first one! Check it out for sure!

I just noticed something interesting about myself. While I'm sure there is a tolerance minimum for audio and video quality at the theater, I don't scrutinize nearly as much as I do at home. Not relevant just thinkin out loud.

I'm looking forward I seeing this as are my sons. I just likely won't get the chance until after Thanksgiving.

Ticket prices are simply nuts but it's nothing new. Still, I recall mom sending me to the theater with $5. I could buy admission, popcorn a drink and still have enough or a few video games or a couple of White Castle hamburgers (some have something similar called Crystals) afterwards while waiting to be picked up. Even though still overpriced if at least feel better if they included a free popcorn or drink with the purchase of two tickets. Encourage people a little why don'tcha!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts