AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 267 Posts

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The latest adaptation of a young adult, adventure fantasy\\sci-fi novel series has it's first teaser. Directed by Gary Ross and starring Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, and more.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Please have an R rating ( yeah like that's going to happen ) . A combination of The Running Man and Battle Royale might be decent if the Blu Ray has the unrated version . Since it appears to cater for the tween crowd I'll have to wait for some reviews .

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
My wife is currently reading this book and man, is she excited about the movie. I, on the other hand, remember her excitement concerning the Twilight series. I reserve the right to hold down my excitement until I find out more about the story.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach /forum/post/21214746

My wife is currently reading this book and man, is she excited about the movie. I, on the other hand, remember her excitement concerning the Twilight series. I reserve the right to hold down my excitement until I find out more about the story.

I read the first TWILIGHT book out of professional curiosity before the movie came out (I'm a novelist and wanted to see what all the fuss was about). I was ready to hurl the book across the room when I was done with it. THE HUNGER GAMES are in a different league entirely. They're well written, have deep and interesting themes on trust and the use of force and brutality, and star a broad cast of varied and interesting characters.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Rach ... I agree with you on Twilight. I have lots of otherwise intelligent female friends who just get stupidly gaga over these books and movies. I would be fine if they realized they were trash and liked them anyway. But they really think they're great books and movies.

I don't get the fascination at all, at least at the absurd level it's reached.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
What's forcing the kids to fight? I haven't read the books but from the trailer it does look similar to Battle Royale and Running Man. I also don't believe the author maintaining she hasn't heard of the Battle Royale novel before she turned in her manuscript to the publisher. It came out almost a decade before her book and I can't believe an author would have such poor research skills.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
I have read the first book of The Hunger Games trilogy and read the first couple of the Twilight books. There is no comparison, it seems to me. The Twilight books are teenybopper dreck but The Hunger Games is a taut, well told, adventure tale. I am really looking forward to reading the last two books of the trilogy, and to seeing The Hunger Games film when it comes out. It has a chance to be very good, I think.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
OK. I'm game. Just put the book on my queue. Last trilogy I read was the Larssson series.

FWIW, missed the run up in LGF last year, over 50%. This movie might give it a another boost. Release will be on March 23rd.

·
Registered
403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan /forum/post/21312711

What's forcing the kids to fight? I haven't read the books but from the trailer it does look similar to Battle Royale and Running Man. I also don't believe the author maintaining she hasn't heard of the Battle Royale novel before she turned in her manuscript to the publisher. It came out almost a decade before her book and I can't believe an author would have such poor research skills.

Not to give anything away, but essentially an all poweful government/society that rules over the rest of the land that will essentially destroy you if you don't sacrifice 2 of your children for the amusement called the Hunger Games.

As far as the trilogy is concerned, at least my opinion.

LOVED the 1st book, really enjoyed the 2nd as well and the final one I though was just alright.

Another series you all might want to look into is the Uglies series by Scott Westerfield. My sister-in-law introduced me to it and I could not put it down just like the Hunger Games trilogy. As far as the Twilight series I have no intentions of ever opening them up or seeing the movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uglies

·
Registered
403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/21319225

I have read the first book of The Hunger Games trilogy and read the first couple of the Twilight books. There is no comparison, it seems to me. The Twilight books are teenybopper dreck but The Hunger Games is a taut, well told, adventure tale. I am really looking forward to reading the last two books of the trilogy, and to seeing The Hunger Games film when it comes out. It has a chance to be very good, I think.

If they follow the book, and don't hold back I agree that it can definitely be a solid film. Looking forward to it as well.

·
Registered
29,354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schloob1 /forum/post/21548906

If they follow the book, and don't hold back I agree that it can definitely be a solid film.

From the director of Pleasantville and Seabiscuit... "Holding back" seems to be his specialty.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/21551741

From the director of Pleasantville and Seabiscuit... "Holding back" seems to be his specialty.

Man, you're a tough audience.
I saw both Pleasantville and Seabiscuit and thought they were solidly above average films. I have the Laura Hillenbrand book upon which the Seabiscuit film was based but haven't got around to reading it yet. Is it significantly better than the movie?

·
Premium Member
24,720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/21319225

I've seen the trailer for this film I'm not yet convinced. I'll rent it when it comes out on blu to give it a go. Hopefully it is good.

1 - 20 of 267 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.