AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

First thing’s first. I would like to thank the people that run this website. It’s by far one of the best website I’ve had the pleasure to be apart of. The way it’s set up with its layout is really nice, and it isn’t flooded with 14 year olds. Educated adult’s with amazing personalized craftsmanship.

Now that I’m done kissing some ass, I’ll post some information on my HT build.

Let me start off with a little information about myself, then some information about my house and what the build will entail.

My name is Joe and I’m a 30 year old husband and father. I’m located in Central Massachusetts and I’m an Electrician by trade, but I’ve been doing Audio Visual for the past 8 years. I’m CTS certified, and I’ve worked one some of the most obscure, high end jobs you can imagine. Later down the road I’ll post some pictures/info on some of the jobs that I work on in my everyday work live. I figured since I do this everyday for a living, and have strong desire for Audio and Video within a quality design.

Now on to my house! I have a Victorian that was built in 1890 and it is 1890 sq ft. It was a two part build back in the day. Behind my house (about 15’) there is another Victorian that was built in 1889, and it is the same exact build. According to the woman that lives there now, it was 2 families that built and created one large family back in the day. She was nice enough to show me some black and white photos of the original owner/builder.

Now on to my theater build.

The measurements of my home theater are the following: Scetchup Drawings to follow soon.

Length 17’

Width 12’ 2”

Height 8’ Ceilings

Rack location is quite unique. In my living room is an indented section that was built, but below it wasn’t dug out, so that portion of the room in the basement is 5’ off the ground, 8 feet wide, 3.5’ in height to the rafters.

The pictures below will show you exactly what I’m talking about. This is probably a situation where Pictures say more than words.

In regard to replica builds, I’ve been constantly looking at the build that Rob (Arthouse build), and I think they way he utilized the amount of space he had, and the ending result is exactly what I’m looking for.

Now on to equipment…

The Idea is for me to have a full 7.2 system

As far as equipment is concerned, I’m not entirely sure at this moment. This will be the last thing for me to purchase. I work for the largest AV integration companies in the North East, and I’m fortunate enough to get virtually ANYTHING A/V related for dealer cost, or below dealer cost.

As of right now, I have the following:

• (2) Xbox 360’s

Playstation 3 (80 GB)

Nintendo Wii

HTPC with 7TB of Storage

Items to purchase:

Projector (1080P) I’m looking to do 16:9 @ 100” Diagonal

Projector screen (might go with something motorized for Crestron control)

Speakers I’m looking at speakers from http://www.rbhsound.com/ A few of my coworkers have speakers from this company and are so satisfied with the quality of the speaker, as well as the quality of the sound.

Sub woofer Also something from http://www.rbhsound.com/ that I have been looking at

AVR Denon AVR-789

Crestron PRO2

(2) Slim 5 Middle Atlantic Racks Modified to meet the size I want. One will be used for Audio Visual, the other will be used for Photo/Data (PC)

Seating - This has been an ongoing discussion between me and my wife, Part of me wants to purchase theater seats, but at the same time, I’ve ALWAYS been one to lie down on a comfy couch while watching a movie. I don’t exactly have the greatest back in the world, so comfort is everything to me when sitting for an extended period of time. I’m thinking possibly having 2 sofas. One on a riser, One below.

Lutron Lighting control, or Graphic Eye Lighting control to be controlled VIA Crestron Control

Most of these pictures were taken in the past two weeks. I decided to write this all out and then add previous pictures to bring everyone up to speed. This Build I will probably take me 8 months to 1 year to complete. At the same time, I will be adding a Bathroom in the basement as well.

So here are the pictures of me kind of cleaning up, hanging up some loose insulation with metal insulation tie wire, and replacing some shredded insulation.

The stairway down to the basement... can you say OLD?

Insulation Cleanup...

After some slight insulation cleanup...

Any idea where my equipment racks are going?

Screen wall......

Rare of theater...

These following pictures were taken a week ago..

Here is a little history before you see the pictures, and a little treasure that I found....

This house like I stated before was build before the Th century, so back in the day it was heated by coal. Well the owners must have decided that it would be logical to have a COAL STORAGE room in the basement to house the coal supply.. This room is 9.5'w X 7'd x 8'h (and will be the new location for a full bathroom.

Sorry for the blotchy photos

While I was tearing the room walls down, I was pulling back what seemed to be a tar paper and low and behold, at the corner where the two walls met, under the tar paper I found newspaper that was used to round the corners.. So I proceeded to take it down as careful as I possibly could. Here is what I found. About 7 Newspapers in pretty darn good shape considering how old they were.

After the wall was taken down....

Well, It's pretty apparent that I have a ton of work ahead of me and I look foward to sharing this with all of you, as well as obtaining some information from you all. Lucky for me, I married a woman who's father is a General contractor, Finish Carpenter, so having him at my dispose is really going to be nice. However, I plan on doing the bulk of my work by myself.

Please feel free to critique everything and anything. I'm sure I'll be needing all the help I can get. Thanks for reading this already very long Post.

Joe

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Wow! Talk about your major DIY project. This build has the potential of being one of those before/after photo reveals that no one will believe is the same space.

Good luck to you. I will be watching this build with great interest.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/15587330

I feel cold and damp just looking at pictures of that space. What are your plans to mitigate water related issues?

BIG,

Believe it or not, it's not that cold down there at all. And in regard to water issues, my house is on a hill. I've never seen water down there, I've seen slight dampness, but I'm 99.9% sure its because of the gutter system in the rear of the house. I have to clean out the back gutter, add a gutter cover, and then add a drain and I'm pretty good.

Just to be on the safe side, in that corner of the house, I'm going to dig and add a drainage pipe, and then in the inside I'm going to hydraulic cement the wall were you can see dampness.

It only gets "damp" when its rained for 2 straight days, but like I said I'm pretty sure its the gutter that is causing the problem.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,385 Posts
For a long time I filed away in my mind Kirk's Uptown Paradiso as the benchmark for turning the worst basement into a great theater space.

http://home.comcast.net/~kirkk/uptownparadiso.html

Joe (the electrician) you have the opportunity to unseat that distinction!!!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/15587662

For a long time I filed away in my mind Kirk's Uptown Paradiso as the benchmark for turning the worst basement into a great theater space.

http://home.comcast.net/~kirkk/uptownparadiso.html

Joe (the electrician) you have the opportunity to unseat that distinction!!!!!!

I will try to do my best to give everyone some great pictures as this all unfolds. One thing Kirk has on me is a poured floor. My first big project is to get my floor poured. Ive gotten quite a few quotes and will be making my decision too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts