AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. So I started a thread here two years ago when I was framing out the room. Unfortunately a mixture of school, work, and then more recently a leaky ceiling has delayed any progress until now. The ceiling is that precast concrete and the garage above was not sealed properly when the guy came and stained it. Discovered this after parking cars with salty snow caked on them and it went right through. Anyways that is now fixed and I've been doing my best to nip this project in the butt as I have loads of free time nowadays.

The room is going to be a CIH scope setup. 12'-14' wide screen...probably going to go with the curved one. I haven't made a decision on what screen to get but I want a woven AT material that is very tight (4k) because the front row is going to be kind of close. I received quotes from Seymour Screen Excellence and have been waiting a few weeks to hear from SMX about anything but I guess they are revamping some stuff? That's what i've read at least on their thread at least.

Speakers I think i'm going to go with some pro audio like JTR or SeatonSound. The room is around 6,000 cubic ft and I want some dynamic punch and from my research these two companies plus Danley sound legit. I have not listened to them however so that is just going off of what i've read on this site. Always open to suggestions.

Projector: something that will light up the screen and look good. ( I know vague...but it will probably come down to whatever will function properly for my setup at the best possible price)

RTI control system is already purchased

Buttkickers in the chairs. Want to fit as many in the space as I can. 15-18 would be ideal. I was originally thinking Berkline but I have also been looking at some of the higher end custom chair building companies. Fortress seating, cinematech, and one other whose folder I have at home look awesome but are way expensive. So up in the air with this decision.

doing a FOSI star ceiling. ordering the illuminator when i get back home. Currently i'm in florida for thanksgiving to enjoy 80 degree weather when it is going to be single digits back home in SD.

As far as any equipment goes, I want to wait to buy anything until the end of the build both to avoid distraction until all the little stuff is done, and also because better junk comes out ever 15 seconds these days.

I'll post some pics that I snapped with my Blackberry for now and when I get back I can get some better shots.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some of the quick shots I snapped.

This is where the entrance is coming downstairs. The other door is a utility room.

This is the opposite side of the entrance. cabinet and popcorn machine etc goes in this spot. The door leads to another garage.

This is looking at the back of the room. That door goes outside.

This shot is of the front. The crazy looking blonde guy is my helper. He wanted to show everyone how strong he is?

The rear riser

And the framing for the Star ceiling. This isn't quite finished yet. more reinforcing to do. It would suck if the 4'x8' panels fell on someone's head.

That's about it for now. The other pics I have kinda suck. Please keep in mind I'm a complete amateur and this is really my first carpentry project really so if you have constructive criticism i'd love to hear it

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh and I gotta say a HUGE Thank You to all the AVS regulars on this site that are constantly helping people along with their builds, equipment questions, and everything else. I have learned a ton just by reading through all the threads and the information has been extremely helpful.

·
Registered
115 Posts
For what it's worth, I've yet to get an actual quote from SMX myself. Tried a couple times about a year ago and again just recently, but never got any actual numbers. Not impressed at all.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, at this point I think the only way i'll consider SMX is if they have a far superior 4k material at a very competitive price. If I can't communicate with a company, I have a very hard time being able to trust their product. But we shall see.

Edit: Turns out it was a holiday week and everyone was super busy and/or on vacation. Good communication going now.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
You should consider it a luxury having a helper who can press an entire stepladder. My helper just kept stealing my pencils and chewing them up.

Tell him I'm quite jealous of his six pack (of Grolsch that is)

Looks like you have a nice build underway. Good luck and keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha yeah the only bad part is he is only here some weekends and then he expects me to pay him. The Grolsch believe it or not improves our building skills so I find it necessary to keep some on hand

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidabradsky /forum/post/19528574

If I can't communicate with a company, I have a very hard time being able to trust their product. But we shall see.

Did you see the sales prices in the screens sticky thread section? SMX is sold via AVS's Jason Turk, I'm not certain SMX sells direct.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1247268

I've got one and love it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did see the sale prices however nothing is in the size range I am looking for. I just PM'd Jason Turk; perhaps what I should have done in the first place. I'm also looking for a 4k AT material just so I don't have to change my screen too soon (and because the first row is pretty close to the screen).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turns out Jason Turk is on vacation for the week. I talked to a Bobbi who is going to get me the information I requested.

I also just got my FOSI star ceiling kit ordered for the 12'x16' star ceiling. They should have it shipped by end of next week sometime. I'm excited to drill some holes.

I have a couple adjustments to make on the front left corner to make the whole framing for the star field level. Having no construction experience this was a bit of an awkward setup to do. There are multiple preformed concrete slabs for the ceiling that have a slight arch in them (just a few inches I think). they also aren't perfectly aligned side by side. I'm guessing there is an easier way but maybe I got it right. I put a ton of construction adhesive on 2x4's and screwed them to the precast concrete flat. Then i did my best to level and screw 2x4's to the sides of the flat ones using some taught string to keep everything the same throughout. I then glued and screwed foot long and 6" long pieces of 2x4 to the flat part of the framing to further anchor the other boards. I will try and post some detailed pictures when I get back home if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some people like other parts of the home pics so I'm going to post some of the winter vacation house that I am at now. This house was a great deal and was a bank repo when the housing market crashed. The guy tore out everything when he went under so we had to completely remodel the inside. Here are just a few pics I snapped quick with my blackberry.

The Realtor took this pic from a helicopter right after we bought it.

Heres one i took today. sod done. landscaping lights still need to be hooked up. The previous owner actually tried to take some of the trees after the bank repoed it. apparently they are worth some big bucks.

staircase

living room

other living room with view to the back

bar...my favorite spot in any home

crappy pic of half the kitchen

other half

it was actually cheaper to have all the cabinets made by our local custom cabinet guy and have him drive from SD to FL and install them. SD is the shiz.

sweet spiral staircase

one of the two coral fireplaces

backyard lower level

backyard upper level

pool view 1

pool view 2

Need to add another pump. It originally had 3 pumps but the previous owner screwed everything up all crazy so we still need to add one more to the current setup. otherwise the pool ends up being just as hot as the hottub.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
That's a nice little shed you have there.
I think my house would fit in one of your living rooms lol.

Definitely will be watching the build, looking good so far, and a nice equipment wish list.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the FOSI illuminators? The one being built for me is LED i believe but I am trying to decide on mounting it outside of the room or in the celing(I have room) If I can mount it in the ceiling I can add more stars to the layout as I won't have to run the fiber as far.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I *think* Sandman used FOSI - his control units were mounted inside one of his columns.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Ummmm, stop showing off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jack Daniels Drinker...I think we would get along fine. Sippin on Hirsch Reserve and Pappy Van Winkle and I still "almost" prefer Jack Daniels.

Yeah Florida really got hit hard in the housing market and there were some great deals to be had. Its slowly starting to come back. Looked at some houses on the beach in Newport Beach and Manhattan Beach and you can't get anything close to this house for the same money. I don't think I saw anything "on" the beach for under $4 mil and those were tiny.

The ceiling in Sandman's thread doesn't look like FOSI. I've went through that thread completely once and looked at his ceiling build a couple times but whenever I go back I can never remember on which of the 122 pages it is in so I just say screw it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I've been having a hard time finding red wall fabric that I like. I came across a couple samples today from Designers Guild and I really like them, but they are 100% silk. The red would cover the top half of the wall and I am wondering how it would affect it acoustically and also if light from the screen will reflect off it and be annoying. Does anyone have any experience or insight on this? Thanks in advanced.

Here are some pics of the fabric.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I haven't been doing much lately. The FOSI stuff came in today so I painted a panel and put the paper down only to find that my dremel wont take the bits. I am going out of town tomorrow but will be back thursday and start on the drilling.

While I'm out of town I am going to be able to meet with Jeff and demo some JTR T12HTs for the first time
. After reading all the rave reviews about them i'll finally be able to decide for myself.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts