AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd appreciate it if someone could comment on the importance of damping factor in an amplifier. As I understand it, the great the damping factor the better the sound, in that transients will be more faithfully produced, there will be tighter bass and less overhang in general. I have a Yamaha RX-V890, which has a damping factor of 200 or more with 100 watts output over front and centre channels over a frequency response of 20-20K. The new models comparable as far as power goes (RX-V1200 and RX-V2200, with 80 and 100 watts in five channels over the same frequency range) have a damping factor listed as 80 or more. This sounds considerably less impressive. Will the sound then be inferior? Yamaha tells me that the damping factor is dependent on the speaker line impedance, resistance etc. of the speaker wire and its length, and therefore the lower damping factor doesn't signify much. That sounds to me less than convincing. Should we then not care what the damping factor is of a given amp? Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks. Spurgeon

·
Registered
646 Posts
Do a search on the forum for damping factor. This had already been discussed. Damping factor is only one amongst many parameters to consider.

Michel

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.