AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
@kregoth

Have you tried with dolby digital?

Like from a film or so. (and then selecting only ac3, of course)

Im wondering, cause the support for payed channels in computer is really bad. There is no dual tuner solution. So I might end up using a settop box, at least everytime I need to do multiple recordings.

are you using windows7? 64bit? 32bit?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am posting this topic here,because it is maybe similar to problem explained here.

Here's the problem.I am no expert but I need help with my question.Is it possibile to connect 5.1 speakers that have 3 jacks 3.5mm input(to PC) with laptop who has Realtek HD Audio integrated card with S/Pidf output(from laptop)? I know that these are analog and digital signals,but since I am not that audio-video expert I don't know is there any device (DVD player or etc.) that has D/A or A/D converter that will enable me to get 5.1 sound from my laptop? And if exist can someone name me the example,or what to look for.

As I understand I need device that has 3.5mm or RCA connection with speakers and digital - TOSLINK/SPIDF input.Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Not sure if this is the right thread since my interest is in recording rather than direct playback, but it seems to be a one-stop-shop for SPDIF input issues.

Using an eBay-purchased PCI bracket adapter and the default Windows 7 64-bit drivers, I've managed to capture 2-channel 48kHz PCM audio via optical from my satellite receiver and PS3, but nothing I've tried has gotten AC3 capturing to work. For whatever reason, I couldn't even get PCM to work under XP.

My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H Rev 1.0. The manufacturer's website lists Realtek ALC889A as the audio chip.

I'm aware that the method people have successfully used with "bit-perfect" cards is to record the pulses in DD-WAV format and then convert to AC3 with BeSplit. I appear able to capture some garbage from the digital input when my receiver/PS3 are sounding out 2-channel and 5.1-channel Dolby Digital, but nothing that converts to a proper AC3 file. BeSplit doesn't reject them outright, it just spits out small AC3s that VLC won't play back.

I've tried every combination I can think of via the Windows recording settings and Audacity, namely the various permutations of 48/44.1 kHz and 16/24-bit. I've also tried the Graphedit + dump.ax method with even less success (I don't even get a playable garbage WAV in that instance).

Any ideas, or is this just impossible without an expensive audio card?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'd love to do this with my on-board alc889, but my iteration actually doesn't have s/pdif-in.

So I intend to get back to some discrete solutions I may have found some months back.

Very low on the priority list right now though....

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
The price of the card has little to do with it. Cards which handle the AC3 properly (on input) vary from the Delta1010lt to the really cheap MadDog Entertainer. Note that all of the Auzentech cards I've tried do NOT work. I've attached a little progy that will let you know if your input will work or not. Just remove the .mov extension...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Nice, thank-you very much.

What are the chances of getting this going under ALSA, snow balls in hell?

Have you actually looked into it much?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
my guess is that yes, hell would have to freeze over
I spent a LOT of time on this about 2 years ago... then I went back to using a receiver... but I'm thinking more and more about getting rid of the receiver, sooo....

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Thanks for the program, but bummer, it won't install on 64-bit. Complains about 16-bit application during the install.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Okay, I grabbed a spare hard drive and installed XP on it just to give this a go. The 13-year-old(!) Dolby Digital Recorder app in that ddr.zip installed fine. I recorded PCM from the PS3 fine in Audacity, but when I start a Dolby Digital game the "No Copy" signal is triggered in the driver and I just get silence. I also tried a retail DVD I own that is not CSS encrypted, and even that locks as "No Copy". Same result with my Philips DVD player. So of course, the Dolby application just says "Waiting for data" forever.

Only the installer for the application is 16-bit, so I copied the 32-bit program files to my flash drive and ran it on Windows 7. With the default driver, at least, the copy protection flag seems to be ignored. I get big pulses in Audacity and I tried the Dolby app on the The Force Unleashed II demo. The result is this:

The timecode and Bitstream Mode jump all over the place, even at times claiming to be a "Karaoke" track. DialNorm also flicks back and forth between -31 and -32. Also note the error count which just keeps going up and up and up. I did record small (

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kregoth /forum/post/18770622

Alright after many days of messing around with this i actually got it to work. and no i am not making this up i am getting true surround sound from ps3 from my omega striker card.

First thing you need to do is set your PS3 to optical out and select DTS as the only selection for sound.

Next download AC3Filter and Media Player Classic Home Cinema and follow these instructions

After installing AC3filter and the correct drivers. Open MPC-HC, go to View > Options and select Output.

Important: Under DirectShow Audio make sure the right output is selected (not system default), in my case this is Speakers (HT Omega Striker 7.1.

Go to Filter Settings and make sure everything there is unchecked, (all of them including external) then continue to Audio Switcher and disable the built in audio switcher.

Continue to external filters, choose Add Filter and select AC3Filter, press OK and make sure it is set to prefer.

You can now close Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

Locate the AC3Filter config in the start menu under Programs. This will bring up the following dialog. Set Output format to something that matches your speaker configuration.

Continue to the SPDIF tab, and make sure the settings under SPDIF passthrough match the following screenshot.

Then continue to the System tab and make sure it matches the following screenshot.

Now press OK so it saves your options.

Now open Up MPC-HC Agian and click File open device and select your SPDIF input

Everything should work (Please note i have only tested this on my omega striker so i am not sure which cards this will work for but should work for anything with a optical input) There is also a tiny delay but nothing to extreme sometime you may need to restart MPC to regain audio if it freezes.

I have been using this setup for a couple of years, and it works in my XP 64-bit machine fine with AC3 and DTS. When I try it on my windows 7 64-bit, only PCM audio works, and no AC3 or DTS. I think it has something to do with the way the drivers were written for windows 7

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan
Okay, I grabbed a spare hard drive and installed XP on it just to give this a go. The 13-year-old(!) Dolby Digital Recorder app in that ddr.zip installed fine. I recorded PCM from the PS3 fine in Audacity, but when I start a Dolby Digital game the "No Copy" signal is triggered in the driver and I just get silence. I also tried a retail DVD I own that is not CSS encrypted, and even that locks as "No Copy". Same result with my Philips DVD player. So of course, the Dolby application just says "Waiting for data" forever.
It's not CSS that is stopping you I don't think. It's SCMS, no?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm trying to use the ac3filter and mpc-hc to get the spdif from ps3 but when i go to file open device on mpc hc i get can't create video capture filter and i can't select anything. Can someone help me, I am very new to this.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge /forum/post/19937068

It's not CSS that is stopping you I don't think. It's SCMS, no?

Well, my point was that I wouldn't expect it to use SCMS to stop recording of something that wasn't encrypted to begin with.

Now, to finally update my post above...

Thanks almost entirely to jimwhite's posts, I have been recording AC3 over SPDIF optical for a few months now. I ended up buying one of the cheap sound cards he mentioned, Mad Dog Entertainer, from a great eBay seller. After a lot of fiddling with various driver versions I settled on the official VIA Envy24 v4.51c , as it's the last version that exposes the option to use External Clock instead of Internal. I kept getting random crackling on PCM recordings using the default option, which obviously caused big errors when trying to record Dolby bitstreams. Choosing External Clock instead fixed this and I'm getting bitperfect recordings, both with the Dolby Digital Recorder app or recording in Audacity at 48/16 to use the old ddwav method.

The clock option can also be set in the EnMixCPL.ini file, using the line SPDIFINSingalLockDefault=2. You have to reproduce that typo or it won't work. Later versions of the driver remove this line from the comment block at the start. It seems to work in the later versions if you correct the typo, but it's undocumented and the GUI provides no access.

I have only managed to get this working on XP. Win7 always seems to resample the inputs normally, and I haven't found any WASAPI recorder to try to get around that.

[EDIT: See below; I'm now using the VIA Envy24 Family v3.24c driver instead because it ignores SCMS while still supporting External Clock.]

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm getting the exact same problem as triple-sevenz. My ps3 is connected through SPDIF input (I have a Creative x-fi xtreme audio pci). PCM works well, but when I try DTS or DDL all I get is static. How can I use it to get 5.1 with AC3filter? I did as kregoth posted but I can't

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, after one afternoon trying, I couldn't get 5.1 out with my sh**ty sound card.

I used Graphstudio (new version of Graphedit) to conduct sound from Ps3 S/PDIF in through AC3filter, and then out to my speakers.

With normal PCM in stereo, I can emulate 5.1 but as it has been said, it came out with half a second of lag. And this sound is better than creative drivers give. At least when I move the character in-game, the surround goes all over the speakers (with lag, but this is the nearest I've been to 5.1).

Is there a way to reduce the lag with AC3filter?. I think I'll have to stick with the stereo and regret buying the xtreme audio pci-e.

For those interested, the X-fi titanium comes with real-time dolby decoding, and is the following (price scale) to the xtreme audio, so with this one, it's possible to do 5.1 to your analog speakers.

I don't know why did Creative sell a card with an optical (xtreme audio) if it doesn't decode Dolby.

·
Registered
669 Posts
@scaMuz

Do you know if one can capture DD/DTS 5.1 with a titanium & run it through a HRTF filter (so that one can get simulated surround in a stereo format).

And then pass that to another sound card? (I want to pass it to my Essence ST).

·
Registered
3 Posts
@jalyst

The Titanium itself can decode DD/DTS 5.1 through the optical input (I think you would have to use the daniel_k drivers)

I don't understand exactly what you're trying to do, but won't your card do what you need? I think it should.

Anyway, in my opinion, if you're going to use the Titanium, you won't need the other card.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sorry for the late response...

I'm subscribed on weekly basis to this thread.

No I just want the titanium for spdif-in of dd/dts.

Don't want to actually decode the content to 5.1*

Want to mix it down to 2.0 simulated surround using a HRTF filter

And then have my essence ST be the DAC for that.

*Anyway not to worry...

I think there's cheaper cards if that's the only function I want to exploit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had been using my SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum (with the drive bay box) to decode the Dolby audio from my PS3, and it works beautifully. Unfortunately, I recently added an Emu 1212m card for recording which messed everything up, now the Audigy no longer decodes Dolby Digital. Apparently the drivers cause conflicts. But until then I had been using this problem free to get the PS3 signal to output in 5.1 to my speakers which were connected to my PC (Win 7 x64).

121 - 140 of 211 Posts