AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My X1 arrived yesterday and I am enjoying it so far.

However my "X1 Upgrade Wish List" goes like this:-

1. Upgrade to the new 1024x768 12 degree DMD instead of the new 800x600 12 degree DMD (just for that little extra PC resolution for PC gaming and HTPC use).

2. Use a 6 segment RGBRGB colour wheel for effective 4x colour wheel, instead of the 4 segment RGBW wheel (which should reduce rainbow effect even more).

In my assessment so far, the white segment is unecessary for most PC presentations (except perhaps in full daylight), and is of course totally unnecessary for home use.

Hopefully InFocus will eventually bring out an "X2" with these features, or perhaps a lower end dedicated HT projector with these specs (perhaps to replace the ScreenPlay 110)?

Hopefully InFocus will take these suggestions on board, so there will be a logical upgrade path from the X1, or a model specifically targeted at the huge "first projector" Consumer Home Theatre market.

Regards

Greg

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think you've just described the NEC HT1000. :)

My two suggestions for the "X2":

Increase the Zoom factor to allow a "zoomed in" 4:3 image to fit perfectly verticaly on a 16:9 screen (which would in turn fit the 16:9 mode "zoomed out")

Put the serial number on the top, so that when I go on-line to register the warranty, I don't have to completely disassemble my home made ceiling mount that I've just spent over an hour aligning because I forgot to copy it down.

Kevin

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
I would like to see more extensive software control of the geometry and picture - more like what is available on CRT projectors and even some direct view sets.

And another vote to get rid of the white segment for HT users, though I think that a 6 segment wheel might add substantially to the cost.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gks

Put the serial number on the top, so that when I go on-line to register the warranty, I don't have to completely disassemble my home made ceiling mount that I've just spent over an hour aligning because I forgot to copy it down.

Kevin
The serial number is also on the box ! Take one of the stickers and put it in your manual :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Sorel
I would like to see more extensive software control of the geometry and picture - more like what is available on CRT projectors and even some direct view sets.
Bob, I've not seen geometry controls on any fixed pixel display (with the exception of rotation control for portrait viewing). These controls are used by CRT displays because analog resolution changes and aging can affect their geometry so adjustment is critical to compensate. Also, because electrons are controlled by charged physical plates, misalignment can easily happen. In fixed pixel displays this does not happen as a pixel is simply switched on or off in a fixed location.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gks:

Yes, it did occur to me that I was almost describing the NEC HT1000, however it also has additional features like DVI input etc. (which I would also like of course).

However with InFocus's DLP development experience, what we need from InFocus next is a spec similar to my wish list at perhaps a $2699 (or less) price point.

Before you say I am dreaming, we all know prices are dropping, therefore this must surely be possible in the not too distant future.

Now that would take the newbie HT projection market by storm!

Greg

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by _dl_
The serial number is also on the box ! Take one of the stickers and put it in your manual :)
Doh!!!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KoolKiwi
gks:

...what we need from InFocus next is a spec similar to my wish list at perhaps a $2699 (or less) price point.
I don't think you're dreamong. I think a spec similar to the InFocus 7200 will be available for around the $3-4,000 range in 2-3 years. Can you imagine what you'll get for $10,000 then!?

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gks
How about using a hand mirror?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Gammans
How about using a hand mirror?
My DIY wood plate obscured the number on th PJ - and the excitement of ownership obscured my vision of the very large tag on the box :).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Actually, I'd like a cheap HT pj from Infocus, with the same specs of the X1 but:

1) 16:9 native (964x554 instead of 800x600)

2) 6 segment wheel

for about 2.000$, more or less (those two features shouln't higher the cost more than this, especially since I'd be happy even with a lower lumens level)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DukeRem:

If you research this a little further, you will see the reason why my wish list has 1024x768.

Please visit the www.dlp.com and you will see what DMD devices are available.
http://www.dlp.com/dlp_technology/dl...ip_details.asp

Of the new 12 degree DDR (Double Data Rate) DMD chips there is the choice of these three devices:-

1). 0.55SVGA DDR (800x600) - as used by the X1

2). 0.7XGA DDR (1024x768) - as per my wish list

3). HD2/Mustang LVDS (1280x720) - as used by the Screenplay 7200

All the other devices available are either the older 10 degree chips, and/or SDR (Single Data Rate).

ie: The question is, how much more expensive is the 0.7XGA DMD chip over the 0.55SVGA DMD chip, for a manufacturer like InFocus to inplement in a X1 like design?

Beside which, a 1024x768 chip provides exactly 1024x576 at 16x9 aspect ratio. Not only is this a higher resolution than your suggested 964x554, it is also an exact native match for those of us who watch anamorphic PAL DVD's (ie: 720x576 native resolution).

Come on InFocus, let's see a HT projector using the new 0.7XGA DDR DMD chip, with a 6 segment colour wheel for significantly less than the price of a Screenplay 7200 !!! (or a NEC HT1000 for that matter).

Someone will do it soon, InFocus has the opportunity with their X1 / Screenplay experience, to be the first to market with this "other" new DMD chip at a breakthrough price!!!

Regards

Greg

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Make the handling of anamorphic DVD's an option: scale or crop. This would allow users who want the new cropping feature to have their way (and I think it is a good idea) while allowing users who want the more traditional scaling to 450X800 to be the other option.

Unlike most of the changes proposed above, this probably not not require expensive changes, and perhaps can even be done as a firmware upgrade to existing machines.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Apart from ideas for a successor to the X1, some suggestions for possible firmware upgrades:

1) Add a mode to show a geometrically correct 4:3 image centered within the 16:9 image area (as implied on page 11 of the manual). Without this capability, a 16:9 screen will not work well.

2) Allow the 16:9 image to be moved up or down, not just centered. This would allow more screen and projector placement flexibility.

3) Allow the user to define more buttons on the remote. I've set the Effects button for aspect ratio control. In a home theater setup, very few people would use the X1's speaker. It would be handy to assign other functions such as preset selection or the overscan toggle to the volume control buttons.

4) Allow choice of the three user presets at the top level menu.

5) Add numeric values (like 6500) to the color temperature menu.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'd like to see the X1 with ONE component in connection that accepts 480i, 480p, 1080i, 720p. I get tired of switching back to the s-video/component port to watch full screen 4:3 material. If I send it from my Sony HD100 stb to the vga port, it puts 4:3 material in the 16:9 box. The Sony passes 480i via component, so it would be nice if the vga/component port of the X1 would take 480i. Sure would save me a lot of switching!

Do we want it all or what!

mike

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Flooper
I'd like to see the X1 with ONE component in connection that accepts 480i, 480p, 1080i, 720p. I get tired of switching back to the s-video/component port to watch full screen 4:3 material. If I send it from my Sony HD100 stb to the vga port, it puts 4:3 material in the 16:9 box. The Sony passes 480i via component, so it would be nice if the vga/component port of the X1 would take 480i. Sure would save me a lot of switching!

Do we want it all or what!

mike
Mike.. I was planning on having all connections (HD cable -component, DVD-component, VHS-composite, Laserdisc-Svideo) go through my AV reciever (Denon 3803) which will upconvert all signals to component. I wanted to have ONE component cable to X1 .. it will be about 25ft of cable.

When you say you have to switch ports do you mean manually or through remote? Is it possible to have just one component from receiver to accept all signals and display properly?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.