AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hughes HIRD-D0 DirectTV and was having major headaches getting the IR Blaster to work on my new RTV 5080 (this Hughes model does not support the serial connector).

From reading this forum, I found a reference to the IR Tunnel by Cyrl from Pittsburth. Cyrl (and others) have found that the IR Blaster sometimes needs to be 2-3 inches away from the IR intake on the DTV. I followed his advice in rigging the Blaster, and it works great.

I am trying to attach a picture of my IR Tunnel. Basically, it is a small box with black electric tape covering it with the IR blaster inside. The box is then taped to the DTV IR intake using electric tape, making sure there is no other light interfering with the IR Blaster.

Thanks Cyrl and others for the adivce.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Wow, that's attractive--not! Seriously, I'm glad that is working for you, but surely there is a less obtrusive solution than that. I just don't think your "tunnel" would go over very well in most households...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I think if you made it a bit longer then you might attract a few more women...

Cheers

·
Registered
62 Posts
As my wife often says, "At least turn the thing 90 degrees to hide that hideous bulge." Seriously, I would do that and since the power button is on the left side, you could still reach it when necessary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The DTV is no longer in plane view, but thanks for the suggestions. I have it hidden behind the TV, only bringing it out when necessary. Thanks for the concern...:)

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
hey if it works better & you can put it out of sight then more power to you

i used an IR fort for a while on my cable box...just a couple of pieces of black electrical tape securing the IR blaster head to the cable box and blocking out any stray signals...had very few IR misfires

this looks like overkill to me but if it seems more reliable then i say go to town with it

·
Registered
483 Posts
I tried a fort first Lizard =P it misfired a lot still, It had to be an inch or two away to fix the misfires completely, I've not had one wrong channel change in quite some time now... and there is really no reason to need to see your receiver under most circumstances, so you can just hide it in the cabinet somewhere...

Glad it worked out for you TeamRL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also started out with a fort, but after hours with tech support and losing my faith, I was looking for overkill (the bazooka vs the fly swater approach to killing the fly). The rigging is working great, no missfires on 8-10 recorded shows so far. And having the DTV unit out of sight works just fine.

Happy all the around. Thanks again to Cyrl and the forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.