AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many people I know I ordered more extensive cable service becuase Comcast (then AT&T) was promising the local channels in HD. "Comming soon: channels you can't get on satellite."

AFAIK we're still waiting. I got a message last night on my DCT5100 letting me know Playboy was going in $.99 preview mode, but alas no message saying I was gonna get HD locals.

Talking to the phone droids yields nothing.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've been holding off on Comcast until they make good on the promise of HD locals. To be honest, I want them to field the DCT5200 (5100 + recording) before I fully switch from my DirecTivos.

Man, I wish I could get an OTA signal...

--Mike

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Obviously, it's not a technical issue. With recent sporting events (NBA all-star, Masters), Comcast has shown they can sucessfully add/delete HD channels at will here in the Seattle area. Are the local stations trying to gouge Comcast for $$$ to carry their HD signals? Is it just taking forever for some Comcast bureaucrat to wrap up the "negotiations"? What's the hold up?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Check out what www.zap2it.com shows for Channel 75 on our Comcast Seattle Digital Rebuild System.

It says KCTSDT2, and for 8PM 4/14/03 it lists "Pike Place Market: Soul of a City, (Special) Inside the market (HDTV)" Likewise for 9PM, another HDTV program is listed.

Alas, Channel 75 on my HDTV cable box is only KCTS+, an SD channel, not an HD channel.

While Zap2it.com is not 100 percent accurate, it is far more accurate than TV Guide. It makes you wonder where it's getting this listing from, and if that really is going to be the PBS HD channel in the near future.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I think "KCTSDT2" is just a typo. Various guides fed by zap2it (aka Tribune Media Services) have called it this for a long time - the ReplayTV guide, for example.

I believe "KCTS Plus Cable" is their local education-focused channel. They feed it into schools, for example. It's definitely a plain old analog SD channel. I'd imagine they show SD/letterbox versions of quite a few of the HDTV programs that are broadcast on KCTS digital over-the-air, and probably the same descriptive text gets copied into the guide.

Nothing to get excited about, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
"KCTSDT2" is used to by zap2it TMS to list guide data for channel 41-2 (9-2), which is the HDTV channel for KCTS. For DirecTV subscribers with a compatible HD receiver (like the Hughes E86 and its clones, and the Samsung SIR-TS160) the Advanced Program Guide (from the satellite) provides programming schedules and descriptions for local channels--both analog and DTV stations are included. These compatible HD receivers associate the APG data with the OTA local channels, thus providing OTA guide information at the same level as their guide data for satellite channels.

"KCTS Plus" is a completely separate channel offering. For a while, KCTS was sending it as a third channel on their DTV signal, but that was dropped many months ago. It is bad enough that they simulcast the SD and HD channels on their DTV, since the HDTV offerings suffer as a result (pixelation). KCTS Plus is available on Comcast cable.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Right. But TMS still has the wrong label on Comcast cable channel 75. This channel is KCTS+, it's not KCTSDT2. Satellite advanced program data would be irrelevant on cable, anyway.

Comcast has this channel correctly labeled as KCTS+ on their (otherwise lame) program guide.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't suppose anyone on this thread has any inside info on Comcast/Seattle/HDTV? I'd like to know what the REAL reason for the foot-dragging issue is.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Not only am I frustrated that we only get the 2 HD channels (SHO/HBO) and have been strung along for the locals for a few months, but now my HD service isn't working at ALL....

got home from work friday to find my cablemodem and HD service inoperable...cablemodem came back in an hour or so, but the HD did not. Called service twice to have them check what's wrong, and "hit" the box to reset it....didn't help...still down. Service call scheduled for tomorrow afternoon...also asked for the 5100 box to replace my sidecar setup...here's hoping they can at least get my paltry 2 channels of HD back.

Sucks, because I'm in the final stages of building my HT (and have been without HD for 3 months) and now that I've got the gear setup again, I lose my HD!!!

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me at my initial install. Turned out the subcontractor had gotten it wrong when he set up the splitter outside my house. He plugged the feed into one of the OUT ports instead of the IN port. I guess he at at least a 33% chance of getting it right... :)

Too bad it took more than 2 hours of my time on the phone and with the tech they dispatched to my house before they could figure it out.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Well, my HD is fixed....problem was that I still had the old sidecar setup, an they reconfigured the system last week. The old sidecars no longer work (at least in my area). Service tech came out, installed teh 5100, called in the configuration and BAM!

Works again...now if only we got more content...

Rich

·
Registered
59 Posts
Comcast says the delay is due to negotiations, but I saw in another thread that they are already providing an HD signal for ABC, NBC and CBS in other cities. I don't get it ...

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by poppa
Comcast says the delay is due to negotiations, but I saw in another thread that they are already providing an HD signal for ABC, NBC and CBS in other cities. I don't get it ...
Well, just because they previously negotiated a deal with the CBS station in New Jersey or Detroit or wherever to carry their HD signal - doesn't mean they can carry KIRO-TV's signal here in Seattle. Comcast has to strike a deal with each station whose signal they wish to carry. Also, I think AT&T Cable was generally behind Comcast in their HD rollout - so I'd expect the AT&T transition and HD rollout to take a *little* longer than in those cities that were originally Comcast. But jeez - how long can it take? There's no excuse for promising HD programming by a specific date, then not delivering, and stringing us along like they have.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey all,

i'm also waiting for COMCAST to offer the HD local channels. I moved north of seattle and now, no more OTA HD signals. It's depressing to watch that one digital channel (WB) while waiting. This better be solved before football season. yeesh.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
We may be moving in the near future. It would be nice to know where Comcast and DirecTV stand with HD offerings. I guess my insurance policy would be to move to an area where OTA reception is good. We are lucky living just high enough on a hill east of Renton to get good reception with a $20 Radio Shack outdoor UHF yagi antenna.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.