AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been comtemplating the upgrade to high def, maybe I am one of the last ones?

I've shot a lot of camcorder footage over the years, using relatively high quality consumer models, Canon and Sony. Three or four years back I bought a Panasonic AG-DVC30 with the eye of shooting higher quality footage. For a number of reasons, I ended up not using the Panny much, although when I did I was very happy with the quality, noticably better than the stuff from the "consumer" camcorders.

Now comes high def, and my need for something a little smaller than the Panny. I understand there are editing issues I would face that I don't with SD, and that's okay, I can manage that, whether it is HDV (doubtful) or AVCHD. But my question is this: although one might say high def vs SD is a little apples vs oranges, is the footage one could expect out of something like a Canon HF100, the shooter's skills being equal, going to be significantly better than from the Panny I have?

Essentially, would I be better off selling the Panny and getting an HV30?

Is SD dead, no matter how high the quality of the camera?

Hope someone can offer their opinion, I would appreciate it! Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I too am considering the jump to HD Camcorder. I have no desire anytime soon to purchase a computer with the specs required for editing - therefore no editing is anticipated. I would only download the files for storage to hard disk for the future. I have a 720p Pioneer 5080 Plasma and would watch from the camcorder for now.

Here is a big question. I do want to create standard definition dvds for sharing with friends and family. Can this be done directly from the camcorder? and, if so, what can I expect for quality compared to editing and conversion to SD with a computer or from just purchasing a camcorder that records is SD and burning a disk from that?

Thanks

·
Registered
393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntentman /forum/post/15515092

is the footage one could expect out of something like a Canon HF100, the shooter's skills being equal, going to be significantly better than from the Panny I have?

Well, it depends on what aspect you are looking at.

First you will be stunned by the high resolution and wide screen. It is just beautiful to look at with an HDTV compared with standard definition.

But in terms of low light performance (which I suspect your Panny would be better), color accuracy and dynamic range, you would have to check them out yourself. And in terms of manual controls, it is no match for your Panny. And with a tiny camcorder (vs your panny) and high definition, you will find that it is more prone to vibration (even with the help of optical image stabilization).

But yes, I think it is now time to jump to HD. And I would get rid of tapes at the same time (opinions are divided in this issue though). For me, I would say forget about hard drive and tapes, flash memory is so much more convenient and reliable.

·
Registered
393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grybrd /forum/post/15517793

I do want to create standard definition dvds for sharing with friends and family. Can this be done directly from the camcorder? and, if so, what can I expect for quality compared to editing and conversion to SD with a computer or from just purchasing a camcorder that records is SD and burning a disk from that?

Without the use of a PC, you buy those standalone DVD burner from Sony or Canon. Or you can get one of those camcorders which can record standard definition - but this would defeat the whole point of getting a HD camcorder.

·
Registered
22 Posts
SD is dead. Look at Youtube. They went HD a couple months ago, they did that for a reason, people are shooting in HD, and people want to watch in HD. I love it. I have the HF100, it is a great camera.

Go to vimeo.com and watch all of the beautiful video people are producing, really spectacular, mostly thanks to HD.

As for editing, I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio, on sale three months ago on amazon for $70. But, I did have to upgrade my computer, but it was time for me anyway. Went with a Dell, dual quad, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, upgraded 128MB video card.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalak /forum/post/15518211

Without the use of a PC, you buy those standalone DVD burner from Sony or Canon. Or you can get one of those camcorders which can record standard definition - but this would defeat the whole point of getting a HD camcorder.

Thanks,

For burning SD DVDs from HD format from the camcorder, can I use a regular DVD recorder, the kind they sell in the TV section of Bestbuy - in fact, some of them actually record VHS Tapes to DVDs also? The finish quality is also still a concern. If it is not the same or better than getting a standard def camcorder (at half the price), I might get SD now and worry about HD latter.

Thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts

Quote:

I too am considering the jump to HD Camcorder. I have no desire anytime soon to purchase a computer with the specs required for editing - therefore no editing is anticipated. I would only download the files for storage to hard disk for the future. I have a 720p Pioneer 5080 Plasma and would watch from the camcorder for now.

Don't hesitate, make the jump.

The HD camcorders are now offering 1920x1080 at 60 interlaced frames per second (or about 30 progressive frames). A lot changes at such a resolution and so I think HD represents a quantum leap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grybrd /forum/post/15518331

For burning SD DVDs from HD format from the camcorder, can I use a regular DVD recorder, the kind they sell in the TV section of Bestbuy - in fact, some of them actually record VHS Tapes to DVDs also?

Using files from a HD camcorder, you can create and burn excellent ordinary DVD discs on an ordinary PC. These DVDs will look great even on crappy TVs.

BTW, you can burn high definition Bluray files on to ordinary DVD discs so if you have access to a Bluray player, you can play your home videos on a high resolution screen other than connecting the camcorder through HDMI cable to the screen directly.

----

For the moment, when it comes to HD, I prefer Canon and Sony to Panasonic. OTOH, you don't need a high end PC rig to create or burn files and small high resolution screens are available at low prices.

I would not buy a SD camcorder now and depending on use, I would be looking at a HD upgrade.

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:

Here is a big question. I do want to create standard definition dvds for sharing with friends and family. Can this be done directly from the camcorder? and, if so, what can I expect for quality compared to editing and conversion to SD with a computer or from just purchasing a camcorder that records is SD and burning a disk from that?

Thanks

You can downconvert HD video to SD in the camera and record to SD DVDs. My Canon HV20 does that and I'm sure newer models can do that as well. I can't attest to the quality of downconversion in camera compared to downconverting in a computer but for most people it should be adequate.

As August1991 suggests make the jump to HD. Maybe you can't record HD onto DVD or Bluray now and can only do SD DVDs but when you can you'll appreciate having the extra detail and picture quality, instead of regretting not having it in the future.

·
Registered
393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancmjr /forum/post/15525406

You can downconvert HD video to SD in the camera and record to SD DVDs. My Canon HV20 does that and I'm sure newer models can do that as well.

Actually, no, most new models do not have this capability.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
i think he means that there is an sd output on the camcorder(rca plugs), and that can be plugged into a sd dvd burner(??)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts