AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have planned to build a dedicated HT room for years and have never had the time or space to do it the way I wanted while I was finishing my training for my career. However, now that I am settled in and have a dedicated area to work with, construction has finally begun! I have long hours at work, so while I would love to do all the building it just is not feasible unless I wanna take a couple years. So instead I am having it built in 6 weeks by a pro firm.

The room in my basement is roughly 19' wide, 25' long and has 13' ceilings

Plans are for 2 rows of 5 seats, a coffered ceiling with rope lighting and full sound isolation (clips/channel/double 5/8" drywall with GG, proper HVAC, etc) and treatment (combination of absorption and diffusion from Quest Acoustical using their Acoustical Lens system behind GOM at locations per the acousticians specs. Bass trapping done by using the seating platform for second row as a resonator)

Screen will be a 11' wide 2.35 AT screen with motorized masking

PJ is Sim2 Lumis with ISCO3

Preamp is Denon AVPA1HDCI

Amps are ATI 3000 300W/ch for mains and qsc proamps for subs

Speakers are Klipsch THX U2 with 2 rows of side surrounds (9 total speakers)

Subs are 2 Danley DTS10 behind screen wall and 3 DIY subs using ShivaX2's that will be in the wall columns

Racks are 2 Middle Atlantic AXS mounted outside room.

Power is a 220V 30amp line to a Middle Atlantic isolation transformer plus 2 other dedicated 20 amp circuits and a rackmounted 2200VA UPS to keep PJ fan running if power goes out.

EQ for room is via 2 QSC DSP322ua's

Hushbox for projector is incorporated into soffit and is thermostatically vented and will have optical glass tilted 7 degrees

GOM is going to be FR701 Black on the screenwall and Spinel Obsidian on the walls with cherry stained columns and "judges panel" base. the coffered ceiling is this stain also.

Most of the the rough construction is done and they will be starting the trim and accoustic treatments next. It only took about 2 1/2 weeks so far to frame room, insulate, do HVAC and AC/DC, install clips/channel, drywall, secure OSB subfloor (concrete floors beforehand), build soffit/coffers, build screenwall and seating riser, and do low voltage wiring. These guys dont mess around and I am always impressed how much has been accomplished each day when I get home from work. Sometimes they work from 8 am to 10pm.

I am just getting this thread started to organize my thoughts and will post pics/you tube video when I get some more time.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buildout is Erskine Group

I had considered going with Danley for the other speakers as well but I got such a great deal on the Klipsch from a local authorized dealer that was going into liquidation I could not pass them up. Perhaps once the "upgrade" bug hits I can try those. i had planned on DIY main subs as well as DIY column subs, but the DTS10 kit deal came along at just the right time! plus they are hidden so i just needed to spray paint em black.

I know that I really wanted to focus on putting my money on things that cant be easily redone and need to be perfect the first time aka the room and the treatments, hence my decision to use Dennis.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Out of curiosity which audio dealer in KC was liquidating, I know quite a few have gone out of business/sold out here in town lately ?

I echo the positive comments on the equipment and my jaw almost dropped at the height of your 'basement' ceiling

G.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyfun /forum/post/18274797

Out of curiosity which audio dealer in KC was liquidating, I know quite a few have gone out of business/sold out here in town lately ?

I echo the positive comments on the equipment and my jaw almost dropped at the height of your 'basement' ceiling

G.

It was back when Accent Sound was going out of buisiness (on 135th and Metcalf in Overland Park). I got the main speakers plus 2 more surrounds but not the subs or sub amp from the Klipsch THX set.

As far as the ceiling height, it is a tiered basement b/c of the slope of our lot. On half (longitudinally) of the basement is 9 ft, one is 13. Guess which side I saved for the theater

Also, as you will see in the videos i am posting shortly, the room used to have a entry from the "upper tier" that is now walled off and also the biggest bummer of the room is that the foundation there at 2 area juts in at a 45 degree angle vs a nice 90 degree. One of these is hidden behind the screenwall, the other is in the back left corner. The cost of cutting out several feet of poured concrete so I could have a square back corner was, shall we say, "not cost effective" (think over 10k easy to rip out and structurally redo that one corner)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am uploading videos to youtube as we speak. should be available tomm if i get done tonight.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Love the vids!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
bonedoc, looks like a great build! Looking forward to watching. Videos are great!

I'm running the Klipsch U2 system with one of the DTS10's from Danley in a 4700cf space! You are going to be very, very pleased!

Not sure about mixing the Shiva subs with the Danley...the horn design creates a 9ms delay that might cause issue with other subs. Unless you have the processing power to accomodate the differences. Also, with only one DTS-10, I can assure you that two in your space will do the job.

I went to Danley and have auditioned all of there mains and can safely say that I have upgraditus.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 /forum/post/18279513

bonedoc, looks like a great build! Looking forward to watching. Videos are great!

I'm running the Klipsch U2 system with one of the DTS10's from Danley in a 4700cf space! You are going to be very, very pleased!

Not sure about mixing the Shiva subs with the Danley...the horn design creates a 9ms delay that might cause issue with other subs. Unless you have the processing power to accomodate the differences. Also, with only one DTS-10, I can assure you that two in your space will do the job.

I went to Danley and have auditioned all of there mains and can safely say that I have upgraditus.

Best of luck!

The delay will be accounted for in dsp and the extra subs are not for output but for even bass response.

My room is ~6000cf

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Very nice! You will be very pleased.

Vids are a great and a neat way to see the progress.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
unfortunately I can only video the daily progress after i get home from the hospital, usually around/after 7p.

I would love to have been able to to it in smaller increments. For example the stage and riser were basically done in one day so I didnt really get to film the interior build of them (stage is sand filled and riser is insulated for a bass trap)

But it is neat to go back an look at the first videos I sent dennis to show him the room and document dimensions for his initial design/blueprints

Hopefully they will resume work end of this week and I will start taking more vids. THey will get several days of work b/t videos next week b/c my wife and I are visiting relative out of town and they are gonna continue work.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
 HT Build 5

Here is the last video I have until they come back

1 - 20 of 164 Posts