AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my copy of the 2 disc set of the KAA yesterday. When I got home from work no one was home except for me. I immediately put it in and turned it up loud. They did a nice job of restoring this. This movie was in real bad shape and it now looks and sounds great. It is not perfect but from where it was to where it is now is pretty amazing. I of course being an absolute Who fanatic might be easier to please than others. The xtras are ok. I like the Entwistle bass parts for WGFA and Baba. I have not gone through everything yet. The Mrs. came home and I had to turn it down. I am of the belief there is only one way to listen to The Who and that is very loud. Nice little booklet came with it. On the inside cover they have a picture of the group right before Moonie died that I have never seen before. It looks like it is from the Who are you sessions. I hope everyone enjoys this one as much I will. I know there are still a lot of us who fans still out there.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,367 Posts
How about that FBI logo intro? Very cool. I played that a few times, till it annoyed my wife (who is also a Who fan).


You can replay the FBI logo intro by highlighting the words "the who" on the main menu and pressing enter. Make sure you turn it up loud before playing the logo intro.


On the extras, you can also hear an remixed 5.1 version of the original studio recording of Who Are you by highlighting the menu item on the extras DVD called "Its Hard".


Once there, hit your left arrow key 6 times. The 5.1 remix of Who Are You will then play. The beginning synthesizer sound goes from speaker to speaker -- very nice re-mix.


Did you prefer the DTS or DD 5.1 soundtrack? I usually prefer DTS, but I'm leaning towards DD 5.1 for this.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
I picked this up yesterday too! Great DVD, great band!


I only had time yesterday to watch a little bit...I had to check out "Won't Get Fooled Again" first. Also I watched some of that restoration documentary.


Thanks for the tips, caesar1. I think there is another trivia game with another easter egg on this DVD, something about Ringo Starr? Anyone know any ways around that one? I haven't checked it out yet, maybe the answers to the trivia questions are really easy.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,647 Posts
Hey, thunderfingers!

Thanks for joining us..... :D :D :D


of course we listen to your music LOUD! It's the ONLY way!


"It was not only the performances but their prodigious sound volumes. John's interest in sound technology was reflected in the work of their sound engineer, Bob Pridden. John's rigs were awesome but they also pioneered the development of the huge reinforcement P.A.s which became standard in the '70's. It was the Who's sound system that powered the massive Isle of Wight Festivals in 1969 and '70. They are still entered in the Guiness Book of records as "loudest Rock Group". Without doubt, John was the loudest bassist - "There's loud, louder, and Entwistle"."


:D :D :D

http://twtd.bluemountains.net.au/cre..._entwistle.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob McLaughlin
I picked this up yesterday too! Great DVD, great band!


I only had time yesterday to watch a little bit...I had to check out "Won't Get Fooled Again" first. Also I watched some of that restoration documentary.


Thanks for the tips, caesar1. I think there is another trivia game with another easter egg on this DVD, something about Ringo Starr? Anyone know any ways around that one? I haven't checked it out yet, maybe the answers to the trivia questions are really easy.
Yes to hear the Ringo bit, you highlight the menu item called "pure and easy" on the extras DVD. Then hit the left arrow key on the DVD remote 6 times.


All this does is play audio of Ringo doing a promo for the original Kids Are Alright movie. It is not that interesting, but okay to do it once I guess. The Pure and Easy trivia is very easy nonetheless.


You can just guess as it takes you back to the same question until you get it right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,367 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
When I first got 5.1 sound and a dvd player years ago this was the first film I thought of to show it off.Ditto with my first big screen,remembering the lasers on WGFA.Its been a long wait but well worth it.One thing not mentioned too much about the worlds greatest rock band is how well they adapted to changing tastes and sounds thru the 60's and 70's,and this film really shows that well.They went from competing with the Beatles and the Stones to having Led Zep and Hendrix,etc. to deal with,and managed to always stay on top without ever changing their basic essence-probably better than any of the other bands that came out of the original "British Invasion".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,677 Posts
After the many hotly contested debates on DDvsDTS, I couldn't help but laugh when I read in the "do" review the following assesment.


"Though most will prefer the warmth of the Dolby Digital option, the music sounds much more empowered to me via the more pronounced highs DTS offers. Both are expertly done, brimming with gusto from the dynamic imagery of the fronts to the resonance emerging from the rears. Also, not once did I have to crank up the center channel or increase the master volume to hear what was being said in the interview segments, which is not always the case in musical presentations like this."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ALIENS
After the many hotly contested debates on DDvsDTS, I couldn't help but laugh when I read in the "do" review the following assesment.


"Though most will prefer the warmth of the Dolby Digital option, the music sounds much more empowered to me via the more pronounced highs DTS offers. Both are expertly done, brimming with gusto from the dynamic imagery of the fronts to the resonance emerging from the rears. Also, not once did I have to crank up the center channel or increase the master volume to hear what was being said in the interview segments, which is not always the case in musical presentations like this."
Yes, but the other reviewer preferred the DD 5.1 track:


"As I noted earlier, I preferred the Dolby track over the DTS one. Though the pair didn’t seem radically different, I thought the DD version came across as airier and more direct. The DTS edition was a little muddy and lacked the same level of delineation. In addition, the DD track presented somewhat stronger bass response. Midrange dominated the DTS mix a little too heavily, and it lacked the same level of punch. The DTS version didn’t sound bad, but I felt the Dolby track presented the more satisfying track."

http://dvdmg.com/thewhothekidsarealrightse.shtml



Personally, I think (but I'm not sure) that the DTS track on TKAA was attenuated by 2 to 4 db when recorded for the DVD. The DD 5.1 track seemed louder at the same volume setting on my receive than the DTS track. This is unusual, as usually the DTS track is louder on any DVD.


So I'm not sure if the perceived differences on TKAA is related to the source level of the DTS track as compared to the DD 5.1 track???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,554 Posts
Could it be that sometimes one's preference for DTS vs. DD 5.1 is affected by the brand/quality/type of speakers and amplifier one has? Would reviewer A who likes the DD better than the DTS of a particular film perhaps change his mind if he listened to both tracks on a different set of speakers and/or a different amplifier? Or, assuming they're all using mid-to-high-end equipment, would he consistently prefer the same track even if he went to the other reviewers' HT systems and played the DVD?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,653 Posts
Just a great movie. I saw this in theaters many years ago and seeing it again brings back some fond memories. I had forgotten this was Moon's last performance with the band as he died 3 months later.


I must admit, being a longtime DTS advocate, I also found the DD track to be a little more pleasing, the DTS version seemed to be lacking a bit in the lower midrange frequencies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Karnis
Just a great movie. I saw this in theaters many years ago and seeing it again brings back some fond memories. I had forgotten this was Moon's last performance with the band as he died 3 months later.


I must admit, being a longtime DTS advocate, I also found the DD track to be a little more pleasing, the DTS version seemed to be lacking a bit in the lower midrange frequencies.
At the end of Won't Get Fooled Again (when Moon jumps over the drums to join Pete on stage), it was rather sad to see Pete Townshend plant a playful kiss on Keith Moon's cheek and tussle his hair. The genuine affection between the two is obvious. If only they knew it was their last time playing together. I now find that moment very sad.


As far as the DTS track, did you find that it seemed to be recorded at a lower level than the DD 5.1 track? I think that might explain the preference for DD over DTS here -- but it may be more than that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
On the extras, I was hoping to see additional songs from Shepperton, I'm sure they played more than the WGFA, and BO. All and all great disc.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top