AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
I also get about once a week one of those fake eBay spam/scam emails requesting my ID, password, and alike .... it looks very all genuine at first glance... I can imagine that at least a few people fall for it... One just have to send out a couple 1000 or 10000 emails and you are in business. Very scary....

One really has to be cautious these days....

_____

Axel

·
Registered
513 Posts
I get those fake emails which look like they come from ebay and from Paypal. I always report them to:

[email protected]********* or
[email protected]

Just to let these companies know. Maybe they can follow up. If enough of us do this, then maybe they'll be even more alarmed than I think they already are. Don't they have liability exposure in something like this?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I am kinda surpised they seem to have about a 20% success rate with those e-mails.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I got an email (second one in about two months) informing me there was "URGENT: We have encountered a problem verifying your credit card for payment of your email account" and asking me to send "verifying" credit card information. It looked like it came from earthlink.net with official-looking logos, valid-appearing http address, etc. I could see some naive and nervous person dutifully emailing the info so as to not lose the email service.

Earthlink.net verified it was a scam, and had notified the host for the link that it should be disabled.

I'd say a death sentence is maybe too extreme for this kind of crime, just a mandatory written apology by the perpetrator to each victim while serving prison time in select wards around the country with "friendly inmates." I say the time served should equal a day for every $10 stolen - and that's just a guideline. By the way, I wish the same for all higher profile corporate thieves.

Dan

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
You have to admire the ingenuity of some of these guys, even if they are morally bankrupt. Some of them are definitely smart enough to make a very good living through legitimate means but doing it through the criminal route is easier.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I frequently get the bogus emails sent to my eBay email address asking me to "verify" my username and password. Sometimes they're pretty comical. At first glance they have the same page graphics as eBay correspondence. And have the word eBay in the domain. But when you look a little closer you usually see bad grammar and one or more misspelled words in the text.

Not long ago I got fed up when one came in. I went ahead and submitted it with this user name and password...

USERNAME: shovethisupyourmo*******king*ss

PASSWORD: yourmamasawhore

A couple days later I got a threatening email. I assumed it was probably from the same person. It was filled with a lot of stuff about how this person could make my life miserable if he wanted to. Was worded like it came from a teenage computer hacker.

Bob

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
When I first got into the projector thing over a year ago I was looking hard at getting the Sony HS-10. I was approached and courted by someone like this scammer that offered a price too good to be true. Greed had me seriously considering it.

When I wouldn't agree to send money overseas ($2000) they offered an unknown escrow service, UK based supposedly. It seemed real and I almost gave them useful information on myself but I just knew something wasn't right when they want you to give up all kinds of information and aren't even doing SSL on the registration pages.

I searched and found the London address of the fake escrow company and then managed to search and find a hair salon in the building. Early on a Saturday morning I called and a very nice lady in London confirmed there was no escrow company at that address.

I came real close to getting scammed. Bottom line: if sounds to good to be true it probably is.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Something else happening on EBAY on popular, hard to get items...

... western union wire transfer payments to germany, romania and some others. The auctions often list Paypal and Visa as possible payment options, only to be told the sale need to be a wire transfer.

Such auctions usually have an "approved bidder list" requirement.

The seller will sometimes say you can make the wire transfer out to a different name and then change the name with Western Union once the items arrives.

And the sure sign you are about to be ripped off, the seller says the auction is legitimate.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Roddey
I'm not a violent man, but it's stuff like this that justifies the death penalty I think.
Are you talking about people that are stupid enough to fall for those really simple scam?

Or the scamer themselves:D

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Well, not to be too serious about it, but the more stupid the person being taken, the worse the crime of the taker. I'd seriously take a whack at these people's heads with a bat and wouldn't feel guitly about it at all. They are scum of the highest order and deserve whatever blowback they get. Or better yet, put them in a room, tied up, and line up the people they've screwed and let them come in one at a time.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Violence begets violence Dean. There is no end of that circle until you posses the humanity to simply walk away from it, and let the childish and immature minds play amongst themselves. Evolution. Tough but true. I was screwed over by my best friend (serious enough to end a viable and working family business) when I was a teen and possessed the ability (both of us) to forgive and forget, and this while we were still teens.

If you insist on getting some sort of country justice, then a frighteningly large percentage of your elected body should come very close to being butchered mercilessly for their crimes.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Quote:
If you insist on getting some sort of country justice, then a frighteningly large percentage of your elected body should come very close to being butchered mercilessly for their crimes.
So where's the problem? ;)

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
These aren't family members, and I doubt that they will be moved by the fact that you are willing to forgive them. They are professional scumbag thieves who prey on innocent people and actively work at getting better at it and find ways to hurt more people more often. Intolerance towards poeple like that is not a character flaw. It's just plain Darwinian common sense that they should be thinned from the herd.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
put them in a room, tied up, and line up the people they've screwed and let them come in one at a time.
I've always thought that would be the most approriate justice for most crimes which have victims. Never have understood why others don't see it that way too.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Quote:
There is no end of that circle until you posses the humanity to simply walk away from it, and let the childish and immature minds play amongst themselves. Evolution.
This is the most stupid comment I have heard in a long time. It totally defies human nature and shows a total lack of understanding of what motivates these people. By "simply walking away from it" you are inviting the perpetrator to keep on "working". This is completely the wrong signal you want to give this person. I just can't fathom that you actually believe that diatribe of common sense.

On the contrary, go after these people with a fervor and a fury bordering on hysteria. Make them feel your pain. Don't walk away for they will do it to someone else, unless they are caught and put down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.