AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
at only 8.5' eyes to screen, you should really look into seymour AV's newer XD material with smaller holes. You're probably close enough to see the sheerweave or the original cineweave holes. Just a tidbit for down the road.

Looking good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Still not set on type of screen,may go with a BO cloth screen since I will have to have a smaller screen due to seating issues caused ,by you guessed it,that damn chimney.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got the trim/faux wainscoting done.....

....and primed....

used the Behr room visualizer software to get an idea of how it will look....

plan on starting the painting this Sunday,got the CeilingLink the other day so thats ready to be installed when I'm done,and my tax refund should be available just in time for the PJ and sound

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Got the painting done,I think it turned out nice.Still need to go back and do some touch ups once the paint cures a bit...

next I start on the ceiling,got the CeilingLink last week,plan on painting the tiles a flat black to match the "Gargoyle Black" I used for the wainscoting.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
It actually looks like you need to repaint the whole thing. There are spots everywhere!

All kidding aside it looks great! I hate painting red. How many coats did it take?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos /forum/post/17908510

It actually looks like you need to repaint the whole thing. There are spots everywhere!

All kidding aside it looks great! I hate painting red. How many coats did it take?

haha,2, I really probably should do a 3rd but I'm a little lazy and it looks pretty good as is.

Should hook up that MacGyver dust filter another poster suggested on another post(forget who it was,but it's just a box fan with an air filter straped to it,it works like a charm when drywalling)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Got the ceiling up.I am not 100% happy with how it turned out but that's because of me not the product.But as with every other part of this project it's the first time I have dealt with it so considering that,it gets a passing grade

(the white splotches along the edge of the ceiling is Spackle because the guy i hired to install the ceiling put the L channel in too low and he had to raise it up when I,..err I mean he realized it didn't line up with the grid
)

Now,it's time for the 'mini"riser.Planing on making the riser for the back row movable so it's not getting attached to the floor,also attaching the front row to a piece of plywood and carpeting it so it can move as well.

I am officially past the "Honeymoon" stage of the process and am jonezing for it to be done so I can use it

·
Registered
619 Posts
That looks sharp, I really like how the colors work.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Hey Mike, great job.

Amazing how a room can be transformed huh.

I also recommend going with a Seymour AT screen given your room dimensions.

You can buy just the fabric and make your own frame and put the diff to your pj.

Chris is a great guy and will answer your questions on the phone.

Don't skimp on the screen. It's false economy.

A projector's PQ is only as good as the screen.

good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks guys

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 /forum/post/18105561

Hey Mike, great job.

Amazing how a room can be transformed huh.

I also recommend going with a Seymour AT screen given your room dimensions.

You can buy just the fabric and make your own frame and put the diff to your pj.

Chris is a great guy and will answer your questions on the phone.

Don't skimp on the screen. It's false economy.

A projector's PQ is only as good as the screen.

good luck!

Due to the chimney I am limited in seating placement so the screen has to be as close to the front wall as possible,but there will be some space on the outer edges to place my speakers so I think I am going with Durotherm or the Parkland poly-wall stuff,from reading the FAQ on the DIY screens these products do well as screen material.

·
Registered
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike70 /forum/post/17879953

Got the trim/faux wainscoting done.....

plan on starting the painting this Sunday,got the CeilingLink the other day so thats ready to be installed when I'm done,and my tax refund should be available just in time for the PJ and sound

Mike:

This looks great...how did you affix the trim to create the faux wainscoting? Just glue or with finishing nails into studs?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Your room's really looking great Mike. I like the color combination. I saw you mentioned your bottom color is "Gargoyle" from Behr..is that their 3A53-5 Gargoyle then?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvandenb /forum/post/18109245

Mike:

This looks great...how did you affix the trim to create the faux wainscoting? Just glue or with finishing nails into studs?

I just used glue,I'm thinking that should be enough as its not the wood trim but that foam stuff that usually has the faux wood grain on it,there is a white paintable version,now ya got me worried ,it should be ok,...I guess time will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto /forum/post/18110012

Your room's really looking great Mike. I like the color combination. I saw you mentioned your bottom color is "Gargoyle" from Behr..is that their 3A53-5 Gargoyle then?

Not sure, cant find my card,the colors I used are Dutch Boy's Dried Chili Pepper (OR12) on top and Gargoyles Shadow (F15-1,..I think that's the code) on the bottom.

·
Registered
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike70 /forum/post/18112757

I just used glue,I'm thinking that should be enough as its not the wood trim but that foam stuff that usually has the faux wood grain on it,there is a white paintable version,now ya got me worried ,it should be ok,...I guess time will tell

I am certainly no expert...I just thought it looked so great and probably isn't that difficult to do so that I might try it

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvandenb /forum/post/18114008

I am certainly no expert...I just thought it looked so great and probably isn't that difficult to do so that I might try it

It isn't too tough really it's just a little time consuming especially if ya use one of those back saw miter boxes like I did,if you have a big room I'd suggest renting a miter saw.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb1s1 /forum/post/18132319

Im new with framing too. Why you have a plate of plywood between the 2x3 frame

Hmm ,not sure what your referencing.My framing is 2X3s with 1/2" Drywall....Yes I know the drill,I'm not going for sound Isolation,I got a decent pair of head sets if I want to be "quiet" (Bought these for gaming but I am VERY impressed by them for $25: Inland 87076 USB Powered Bass Vibration Headset,I'm not sure on the "Do's and Dont's as far as quoting prices and where you bought something but look it up at amazon and you'll find it right away.)

21 - 40 of 64 Posts