AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb1s1 /forum/post/18132319

Im new with framing too. Why you have a plate of plywood between the 2x3 frame

I was just looking back through the pictures and I'm pretty sure he is referring to where you attached plywood between the the 2 x 3's on the chimney. Im going to say for support and a drywall backer

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableMan /forum/post/18132804

I was just looking back through the pictures and I'm pretty sure he is referring to where you attached plywood between the the 2 x 3's on the chimney. Im going to say for support and a drywall backer

OHHH,ya.That was to conserve space,basically didn't want to take up 3" worth of space with the 2X3s .Like I said that chimney is the bane of this construction :/

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Got the riser done

Went pretty smoothly,don't let the size fool ya' it weighs a ton,150 lbs to be exact

(and as usual I couldn't wait til the dust settled before I took a pic of my work so there is a lot of dust spots,or my basement is "out of control" haunted
)

Next is the carpeting and that will be the last of the "big" things ,then it's on to being "nickled and dimed" to death with all the little things to finish off the room

Plan on using the Kangabacked carpet from Menards,mainly cus I really cant afford "real" carpet for now.

·
Registered
619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike70 /forum/post/18186410

Got the riser done

don't let the size fool ya' it weighs a ton,150 lbs to be exact

You wuss I still have a Sony CRT that weighs more then that
..... looks good btw

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableMan /forum/post/18186850

You wuss I still have a Sony CRT that weighs more then that
..... looks good btw

LOL,ya I have a Sanyo (Wal-Mart ElCheapo HD tv several years back) that weighs almost that much

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Woot,last "Big" thing for the basement!! Got the carpet in and the riser carpeted

(view of the DriCore subfloor venting grills)

and while i was at it I installed the back row chairs

Now it's on to all the nickle and dime stuff,prolly do the PJ install and screen next....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottm_1969 /forum/post/18188102

You've done a great job with a challenging space.

Scott

Thanks !

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Looking good..I really like the wainscoting a lot and glad you painted it black. Most people paint the stuff white and to me it messes up what you try to do in a theater...make it disappear.

Cant wait to see this lil room done.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson /forum/post/18274212

Looking good..I really like the wainscoting a lot and glad you painted it black. Most people paint the stuff white and to me it messes up what you try to do in a theater...make it disappear.

Ya ,I think you can get away with lighter colors with a bigger room but with a narrow room with low ceilings everything has to be dark

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
You did a great job considering the space and that dumb chimney

Looking forward to seeing the final results..I'm excited for you

What does the family think of all the work you done so far ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very well done, so far!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain /forum/post/18274444

You did a great job considering the space and that dumb chimney

Looking forward to seeing the final results..I'm excited for you

What does the family think of all the work you done so far ?

Haha,thanks

My fiance likes it,I told her I was gunna keep the progress secret from her then surprise her with the finished job,..but that didn't work out so well cus every time I finished a segment of the construction I'd call her down to look at it ,haha

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Ok ,got the sound and PJ up(set up the sound with the auto cal. and put in the tweaks that the guys over at Projector Reviews suggested) with the screen in a rough form,still gotta make the black velvet border (My local Wal-Mart didn't have any so i gotta buy online)

And I slipped in the DVD version of Surrogates to test it out on the previews and ,well,....I haven't stopped grinning for the last 10 min

here's what it looks like....

still got to set up the front row,prolly gunna put up a faux curtain for the screen and need a curtain for the entrance few other doo-dads and I should be done ,it has turned out better than I imagined,can't wait for the real first "showing" ,...maybe I'll show Ironman,..or the Dark Knight,...hmmm have to think about that

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Got all the vital stuff done,I have a fully functioning DHT ,yea!!!

If it wasn't for finding this forum I doubt I would have been able to do this,this forum is a font of information and I thank you guys for helping out when I needed it and pointing me in the right direction

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Great job on your HT, especially with the challenging room. Time to enjoy!

I can't wait for my "grinning" to begin...still seems a ways off.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Sorry,been busy watching all kindsa movies

As with most aspects of the build I was really limited with space,I hunted high and low on the interweb for something that was shallow enough to fit between the wall and the mini riser,finally found one at a good price from Wal-mart of all places.It's small and simple but it gets the job done

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Well I'm starting to get the itch to build again and the "atrium/concessions" is next.It's really just a glorified short hallway from the bottom of the basement stairs to the door to the theater but it's pretty wide so I'll be able to fit some stuff in there.

Been working on a sketch up on what I plan on doing....

My ugly circuit breaker is in the room/hall so I plan on making a faux ticket booth to cover it,gunna put casters on it so I can move it out of the way when I need to get to the breaker box (this should qualify as readily available,I hope.Also gunna line the inside of it with some fire resistant material to be safe).

Here is the 2 rooms connected so you can see the layout...

Didn't get too detailed on this model as I did with the theater room
) ,..well that is except for the candy boxes for some odd reason I was having fun making simplistic renderings of some of the candy I would have in the counter....

Any way,hope to start soon and should have some pics of the project soonish I hope,I am kind of a dawdler ,haha.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts