Well,after a long hiatus, I've finally started work on the "atrium" ,the room before my basement HT .It is more of a wide hallway connecting my basement stairs with the theater room and the laundry/unfinished portion of the basement.
Got the drywall up...
Gunna rip up that ugly a$$ carpet on the stairs,some of the choices the previous owner made has me scratching my head some times ,haha
I got a better sconce for the wall light but the light in that room is still dim,I may add another one the opposite wall or something ,but I am going to wait till after paint to make my mind up as I am judging the rooms light levels with an unfinished ceiling and flat drywall-walls .
The good thing is cost will be down a touch on this part as I am able to use some "left overs" from the theater room build
Well I am officially 99% done ,I think over all I did a good job,here are some pics....
Here is the wall sconce I went with,that duct was the "ugly chimney"of this room...
The breaker box looks so much better now,no more unsightly exposed conduit and wires...
Ceiling up,once you get going on putting those tiles up you cant stop.It's kind of addictive,don't ask me why
This was the solution to the duct problem.I added a decorative "flange" to it using a ceiling fan,..uhh,decorative flange,haha.Looking at the piece in the cellophane wrap at Menards ,I assumed it was a piece of vaccuform plastic I would easily be able to cut with scissors ,but it's not it's a fairly thick and sturdy piece of plastic .Had to use a new blade on a box cutter to expand the opening to fit the duct.
Had just enough left over flat "gargoyle's shadow" from the theater room ceiling to paint the atrium ceiling
Once I pulled up the tacky olive green carpet from the stairs I was amazed at how good the wood looked so I just stained and varnished them,turned out ok.I still need some practice on staining,had a few drips and runs.
Flooring was a tough one to decide on,I didn't use any dri-core so it would be directly on the basement floor.Was gunna go with self adhering vinyl tiles but the more I read and talked to people about them the more I realized they would not have worked.I didn't want to do foam back carpet like I did in the theater room ,cus if water got on it it would be toast.So in the end I went with carpet tiles,they seem to be working out,I have some left overs so I can pull up any ones that get water damage (Heaven forbid)
The corner was dark so I added a lamp .....
Here is my concessions,still needs something,...not sure what yet
My Wife's Dad and his Girlfriend got us the sign,I think it goes well with the room
A forum community dedicated to home theater owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about home audio/video, TVs, projectors, screens, receivers, speakers, projects, DIY’s, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!