AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just purchased the Akira Kurosawa collection, and it is non-anamorphic! What a crime. Even worse, when I set my quadscan to 4/3 letterbox,(the standard widescreen mode) the 2nd line of subtitles is cut off! Arrgh!


(technical translation for the not scaler aware: I have to view it as a small rectangle floating in the middle of my wide screen projector!)


I have a wakazashi, and I'm not afraid to use it!

(translation for the "chambara" (samurai movie) layman: the "wakazashi" is the shorter of the 2 swords worn by a samurai. The longer sword is a "katana", and the set is a "daito". In most traditional fighting the wakazashi was rarely used, except in the performance of "seppuku", or ritual suicide coarsely referred to a "harakiri", literally belly cutting. You know, "harry karry")


film-atic master

wretched dvd transfer

my cash was stolen


James
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,769 Posts
I almost bought this. I didn't have the cash to spare at the time. Looks like I was lucky. I wouldn't have thought to check like usual for anamorphic. This is a real shame.


I also hate it when they do that to the subtitles. Ouch.


They dishonor themselves with this release. It is they who should commit seppuku, not you. You should go forth, Ronin, and avenge Kurosawa's spirit.


M
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jmiyake
So I just purchased the Akira Kurosawa collection, and it is non-anamorphic! What a crime. Even worse, when I set my quadscan to 4/3 letterbox,(the standard widescreen mode) the 2nd line of subtitles is cut off! Arrgh!


(technical translation for the not scaler aware: I have to view it as a small rectangle floating in the middle of my wide screen projector!)


I have a wakazashi, and I'm not afraid to use it!

(translation for the "chambara" (samurai movie) layman: the "wakazashi" is the shorter of the 2 swords worn by a samurai. The longer sword is a "katana", and the set is a "daito". In most traditional fighting the wakazashi was rarely used, except in the performance of "seppuku", or ritual suicide coarsely referred to a "harakiri", literally belly cutting. You know, "harry karry")


film-atic master

wretched dvd transfer

my cash was stolen


James
Which Kurosawa Collection are you talking about? The latest one available from Amazon.com only that includes a newly remastered edition of Ran is indeed anamorphic.


The Criterion stuff released years ago (Hidden Fortress, Rashomon, Seven Samurai and many others) and recycled as a collection was never anamorphic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the one with:

Yojimbo

Sanjuro

Hidden Fortress

Seven Samurai (OAR anamorphic not an issue)


Do you recommend the one with Ran?


James
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jmiyake
This is the one with:

Yojimbo

Sanjuro

Hidden Fortress

Seven Samurai (OAR anamorphic not an issue)


Do you recommend the one with Ran?


James
The one with Ran, Dreams and the PBS special Kurosawa is quite an edition although I don't kno wif it's worth the $70 or so to buy it. It also comes with a bunch of artifacts like reprinted storyboards from Kurosawa, a scroll and a some other nic-nacks. I think you can buy these separately now. Check in with Amazon.com. The new Ran DVD, while still not perfect, is far better than than the travesty released several years ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,981 Posts
It's a pity they're not anamorphic, but these are really the must-have Kurosawa samurai stuff. So whadayagonnadoo?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,649 Posts
Originally posted by MikeM:


"Which Kurosawa Collection are you talking about? The latest one available from Amazon.com only that includes a newly remastered edition of Ran is indeed anamorphic."


Yeah Ran is...but Dadaya isn't (and is 1:66:1 AR). Argh!


"The Criterion stuff released years ago (Hidden Fortress, Rashomon, Seven Samurai and many others) and recycled as a collection was never anamorphic."


Hidden Fortress, a restored affair, is indeed anomorphically enhanced, but shame on Criterion for not doing the same with the other titles (except SS, which is full frame, of course)... :mad:


-THTS
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top