AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the first L.I AVS Forum meeting that we held at Applebee's in Hicksville (well it's really in Bethpage) and I have to say i had a great time.

There were 6 of us who were able to get together. We discussed occupations, HDTV, The WTC attack...everything except sports...oh wait a minute...we discussed that too...as far as sports on HDTV.

Some of the members have never been to Mark Schubin's website so i want to give you the address for this great informative site. This website is one of those "labor of love" type sites, produced by someone whi is very much involved in HDTV from the production side of things. Here is that address:
www.digitaltelevision.com/mondaymemo/mlist/

For anyone who has never visited this site and enjoys HDTV you are in for a treat.

We also discussed getting together again and I do know that some who would have liked to attend did not have the opportunity to do so.

Maybe we can do it again the first Wednesday in November. Something to discuss.

Again, it was very nice to meet the faces behind the posts.

I encourage any members to get together with their fellow HDTV enthusists in their local area.

Lee

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just wanted to throw in my two cents and say what a success I thought it was as well. It was a much needed pleasant distraction from the last couple of weeks. (Working a few blocks away from the WTC.) To the point that while telling my wife about it she commented that this was the first conversation we had since that day that I didn't sound down and out.

I also want to take this opportunity to Thank Lee for putting in the Time and Effort in getting this to happen. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I'm so sorry I couldn't make it last night, but something urgent came up at the last minute. I'm glad you guys had a good time and I hope I can make the next one.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had a thoroughly enjoyable time. It was a pleasure to meet new friends and see some old ones. Getting together with people with this similar passion is always educational..and often expensive. I am fully ready to try the Zenith STB, thanks to Ken Ross. And I hope to tour CBS one day, a la Dave.

I look forward to the next time-if the group is an acceptable size, perhaps we could end up at someone's place. The Tillmans ended up at my house last night, as we sampled the 10HT on a GrayHawk, Denon AVR-4802 w/DPLII, and DVD-Audio w/bass management from Denon 4800.

------------------
My Home Theater Pics My Equipment List My DVD Collection My LD Collection

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Lee,

sorry I could not make it last night. I saw the post too late to change my plans, but would love to make the next meeting in November. It would be great to meet all the other LI enthusiasts.

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

·
Registered
539 Posts
It was a lot of fun to meet everyone and talk about our hobby (eh obsession). Interesting to learn about different setups and the experiences behind them.

As Michael mentioned, I had the opportunity view his new sony projector and grayhawk screen... This was the first time I've observed a front projection setup and it is amazing. To view HD on a 100 inch+ screen is incredible.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Is there going to be another meeting? I notice that Lee Antin, the organizer of these meetings, has not posted to the forums in a few months. I hope all is well with him.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am interested also.

·
Registered
158 Posts
How about late April or early May, and someone can come over and help me get all my HD channels.:D

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hey Ken,

I almost forgot about that. Everything else has been working great. When I can watch it. Trying to keep a job in a slow economy is a lot of work.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well I have some good news and bad news. I found Lee's business card that he gave me at the last meeting and called him. The good news is that he is fine. The bad news is that I called him as he was walking out the door to move to Florida. In his getting ready to move he was really busy and hasn't had time to surf the pages. He did say once he gets settled he would get back on.

So now that means we need a new "leader". If somebody wants to take the point on this please let us know. If not I will offer my services. Just let me know.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I hereby nominate Orlando. Can I get a second

·
Registered
33,440 Posts
Orlando,

With my "second", I and the L.I. AVS forum hereby declare you "da leader". Don't look for your first paycheck anytime soon. :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
I didn't know there was a LI HDTV club, count me in! How do I find out about future events?

Too bad about Lee moving, quick Lee story (not to embarrass him). When I first got started with my DTC100 I could not tune the 119 sat. Lee came to my house and spent the good part of the day (including climbing my very steep roof) helping me out.

Lee, I still owe you a ride in the car!

Steve

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.